Stanley Cup Playoffs

Fishenough

Guess that answers that question; hockey fans on Thaivisa =1. :rolleyes:

Guess my playoff waffle breakfasts will be very small gatherings indeed. B)

Well I'm not in CM Fishenough, but I've been following online, and been able to catch a few games on my local cable (Phuket) in the AMs. As it looks like now, it will be SJ vs. Vancouver and TB vs. Boston.

I'd prefer to see a TB vs. SJ finals, but I don't have a favorite horse in the race. Just love the game and hope I'm able to see some of the Finals on cable no matter who plays.

• 3 weeks later...

Never can morn the lose of the Red Wings...they've had there time :lol::D

Well happily the Nucks are going to the finals for the first time in 17 years! I'll place in my hockey pool if Tampa wins tomorrow, though my gut tells me it'll be Boston taking game 7.

FYI, Miguel's in Nong Hoi will be playing the games and have the coffee warming up for the 7 am faceoff next Thursday!!!

stanley-cup-012.jpg

FYI, Miguel's in Nong Hoi will be playing the games and have the coffee warming up for the 7 am faceoff next Thursday!!!

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm a huge Canucks fan and I thought I was the only one in Chiang Mai who knew/cared what was going on.

So, doors at Miguel's open before 7a.m. and people are welcomed to come in to watch? Any beer/food sold? :lol:

Where exactly is Miguel's down there... never been to that area. Kind of far for me.

Know of any other places doing this as well?

Thanks!

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm a huge Canucks fan and I thought I was the only one in Chiang Mai who knew/cared what was going on.

So, doors at Miguel's open before 7a.m. and people are welcomed to come in to watch? Any beer/food sold? :lol:

Where exactly is Miguel's down there... never been to that area. Kind of far for me.

Know of any other places doing this as well?

Thanks!

The caption for the picture should have read 'Can you taste it?', but I thought it'd fall on the deaf ears here; good to see other Canucks fans onboard!!

Miguels is just south of the Nong Hoi intersection, about half a click from Mahidol Road/Hwy, Edit - on the Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd. They don't serve food till 9 am, and I've never been much of a beer drink - try to at least wait till 11 am. And I haven't found any other place showing games for the late Eastern faceoffs.

Edited by Fishenough

We find out in a couple of hours just who the Canucks will be playing for the cup. I personally think the Canucks can beat either Boston or Tampa Bay. The Canucks have more good player depth in a 7 game series. All the top end teams have a few super stars, but for a team to go a long way into the finals they need good third and fourth lines to carry them through. For the first time since the Canucks have been in the league I think they are finally going to win the cup.

Been able to see most of the Bos v. TB series in the AMs here. Great series. Watching game 7 now and another great game. TB seems to have better scoring players, but Boston is tough.

Whoever wins this game, should make for a great finals. Can't wait to watch it, beats the hell outta soccer!

Can't wait to watch it, beats the hell outta soccer!

Testify!!

It's cool that many young fans, including my 3 kids, have never seen these two teams in the cup finals. Never forgave Tampa for beating both the Habs and Flames when they took the cup.

Boston has waited 39 years for the cup and the Canucks have waited 40 years. I'm glad the Canucks are facing an old, traditional team. It should be a great series that could go the distance with a lucky goal winning it. .

Pretty impressed with Boston after watching several of their games of late. The TB series was a good one to watch. Boston has good forechecking, some opportunistic young hustlers, and solid goaltending and defense. I guess a stereotypical blue collar Bruins team. Canucks on the other hand were rather bland and boring to watch considering they have some great star players, at least the games I saw them play.

Funny thing is that being an ex-New Englander, I always hated the Bruins (if that makes any sense)! But from what I've seen of them, I think I'll be rooting for them in the finals. Kind of the home team I guess. Either way it should be a great series.

Edited by iSabai

Pretty impressed with Boston after watching several of their games of late. The TB series was a good one to watch. Boston has good forechecking, some opportunistic young hustlers, and solid goaltending and defense. I guess a stereotypical blue collar Bruins team. Canucks on the other hand were rather bland and boring to watch considering they have some great star players, at least the games I saw them play.

I've watched all of the Canucks games and a fair number of the other series. I think a lot depends on how teams match up. There are different playing styles that suit each team. The Canucks series against San Jose was MUCH more entertaining than the Nashville series. Nashville plays a stifling defensive game and unless there are enough penalties to open it up a bit it is like watching paint dry. Injuries to key players can also be a big factor. Many players will play "hurt" and not be at their best. Certain players work better as a team while others are individual stars. The classic example of that is the Sedin twins who work most effectively together. They are both good alone, but far more effective when both are on the ice together. It is going to be interesting to see how they stack up against that huge Boston defenseman, Chara. I'm just a little pissed that the finals won't start until next Wednesday and there will be big gaps between the first few games. It will help the injured players to recover a bit, though.

I've watched all of the Canucks games and a fair number of the other series. I think a lot depends on how teams match up. There are different playing styles that suit each team. The Canucks series against San Jose was MUCH more entertaining than the Nashville series. Nashville plays a stifling defensive game and unless there are enough penalties to open it up a bit it is like watching paint dry. Injuries to key players can also be a big factor. Many players will play "hurt" and not be at their best. Certain players work better as a team while others are individual stars. The classic example of that is the Sedin twins who work most effectively together. They are both good alone, but far more effective when both are on the ice together. It is going to be interesting to see how they stack up against that huge Boston defenseman, Chara. I'm just a little pissed that the finals won't start until next Wednesday and there will be big gaps between the first few games. It will help the injured players to recover a bit, though.

You're right about that IF. Some teams will force you to play outside your normal style of play. But the good teams adapt and get it done, as Van did. Most of the Canucks games I saw was vs. Nashville, and I thought they were kind of boring. But I know they are a talented bunch with some pretty flashy players. This series should be a great one to watch.

I'm interested and rooting for the Vancouver team. I watched most of the Tampa bay - Boston series, and it was very entertaining. I was cheering for Tampa Bay as they were the underdogs.

(It's nice to see a sports thread about something other than football (soccer) or rugby. I don't think I'd like living in the UK or Europe where there's only those 2 pro sports. I enjoy the versatility of professional American football, ice hockey, baseball, basketball, and even soccer (to some degree) in North America. Didn't that Beckam guy even come over and play on the LA team for a while?)

BTW, some of us will be downloading the games via bit torrents, so just a reminder to be careful about posting any information that could spoil the viewing pleasure, i.e. final scores or winning teams -- as we'll be seeing the games about 12 or more hours after they finish.

Edited by Wavefloater

The first game of the finals was pretty good if you were a Canucks fan. It was heart breaking if you were hoping for Boston. With the long wait before the start of the series, both teams looked a little rusty and out of synch. All the bogus penalties took the flow out of the game in the first period. I'm glad nobody from either side scored on them. With only 20 seconds to go in a scoreless game it was a pretty combination between Hansen and Torres to win it. It was going to take a set up like that to beat Thomas. I kind of felt sorry for him after all the great saves he made. Luongo was good as well, but he was also lucky on a few shots. I predict the next game is going to be different, and with more scoring. I won't guess on who might win. Lady luck will decide that.

BTW, some of us will be downloading the games via bit torrents, so just a reminder to be careful about posting any information that could spoil the viewing pleasure, i.e. final scores or winning teams -- as we'll be seeing the games about 12 or more hours after they finish.

The first game of the finals was pretty good if you were a Canucks fan. It was heart breaking if you were hoping for Boston. With the long wait before the start of the series, both teams looked a little rusty and out of synch. All the bogus penalties took the flow out of the game in the first period. I'm glad nobody from either side scored on them. With only 20 seconds to go in a scoreless game it was a pretty combination between Hansen and Torres to win it. It was going to take a set up like that to beat Thomas. I kind of felt sorry for him after all the great saves he made. Luongo was good as well, but he was also lucky on a few shots. I predict the next game is going to be different, and with more scoring. I won't guess on who might win. Lady luck will decide that.

Oh Ian....... :rolleyes:

Just noticed this thread. Born and raised in vancouver, but loving chiang mai now. Its great to get up at 7AM to watch the canucks..lol Just got back from Vancouver and it is electric. Its been a 40 year wait. The city is ready to explode.

Go Canucks

Wow, both N Horton and Rome out for the rest of the games. Unbelievably physical game, and no matter what your stand is with hockey hits this was truly a game from year gone by.

My quess is that game 3 will be 'softer' and have quicker penelty calling. And if my Nucks don't play down to, and slow down to hit the big Bruins, they can take it. Also gotta capitalize on Thomas's grasshopper-ness to jump outta of the crease, ie. get that grasshopper to jump and be ready to whack it in the big opening left by the tender making a jump for the blue line puck.

b1nypykuaruz.gif

I'll be watching tonight and I don't know WHAT Canuck team will show up. I predicted a loss in the third game, but didn't expect a blowout. After watching the Rome hit on Horton MANY TIMEs I'm at a loss about the rules in hockey. It seems that you can slam a person into the boards if they have the puck, but you can't touch them if they DON'T have the puck. And, it seems to be perfectly alright to hack someone across the back of their legs with your stick. Inconsistency in the referees calls and non-calls has been the biggest problem. I really don't have a problem with the Rome suspension if the calls were consistent, but they are not. If a player gets injured on an illegal hit then I feel it's justified that the penalized player gets suspended for as long as the injured player can't play.

I'll be watching tonight and I don't know WHAT Canuck team will show up. I predicted a loss in the third game, but didn't expect a blowout. After watching the Rome hit on Horton MANY TIMEs I'm at a loss about the rules in hockey. It seems that you can slam a person into the boards if they have the puck, but you can't touch them if they DON'T have the puck. And, it seems to be perfectly alright to hack someone across the back of their legs with your stick. Inconsistency in the referees calls and non-calls has been the biggest problem. I really don't have a problem with the Rome suspension if the calls were consistent, but they are not. If a player gets injured on an illegal hit then I feel it's justified that the penalized player gets suspended for as long as the injured player can't play.

Agreed. 4 games is fine, but where is the consistency? Someone like Pronger would get 1 game max.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the game tomorrow morning.

However I'll be at Miguel's on Saturday morning, ready to witness the Canucks lift the Cup for the first time in history!!!

Other fans in Chiang Mai should make it out as well. With numbers, we can create our own SCF-type atmosphere!

Agreed. 4 games is fine, but where is the consistency? Someone like Pronger would get 1 game max.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the game tomorrow morning.

However I'll be at Miguel's on Saturday morning, ready to witness the Canucks lift the Cup for the first time in history!!!

Other fans in Chiang Mai should make it out as well. With numbers, we can create our own SCF-type atmosphere!

The Big Bad Bruins wouldn't even be there if the big bad Chara hadn't steered Max into a stanchion. He didn't even get a 1 game suspension. Accidental or otherwise, just like your stick in hockey, you should be automatically responsible for all actions you commit on the ice. If you interfere with a guy and that leads to a guy being driven into a stanchion which results in a concussion and a cracked 4th vertebrae. Don't get me started. The game needs a reality check and Campbell needs to pull his head out from his proverbial. Go Habs!

It's now down to a best out of 3 series and the whackers and hackers are being over looked by the refs. The Canucks need to get back to what they do best... skate, skate and skate. Leave the cheap shots for the Bruins. Instead of just cycling the puck around until some Bruin intercepts it the Canucks should have someone racing to the net the moment a shot is made on goal. There were some juicy rebounds that went untouched last game. And, the first goal is crucial.

The Canucks finally got a goal past Tim Thomas and that was all they needed. It was the best game so far in the series. There was lots of end to end rushes and both goalies were stellar. Luongo looks re-focused and he made some great saves. Now, they have to win one in Boston... and that won't be easy. A little good luck would go a long way in helping them win their first Stanley Cup. No matter who wins the loser can hold their head high.

Well, here we are, Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

It's been a long and exhausting journey for both players and fans.

I'm somewhat glad that everything is coming to an end tomorrow morning.

I just hope and pray for the ending that favours my beloved hometown.

GO CANUCKS GO

I will be watching @ Migs.

All over for this season. The Best team won. Congratulations to Boston. The Canucks looked out of synch as soon as Boston scored their first goal, and they got progressively worse as the game went on.

Only highlight, of today's game, was seeing Mark Reechi retire after all there years. First time an oldest players who's stats, for example he's the oldest player to score a play off finals goal, that is younger then me!! Watched him in Kamloops back when the WHL was still known as a brawlfest, and the Kamloops team was starting it's climb for the top spot. Plus at 43 years old you got to respect his ability to keep playing the game at that level.

For certain, many a Canuck was hurting towards the end.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: