Nsr 150 Sp

sapi

Morning,

I would like to ask for all you 2-strokers out there, if there is any other brand for rear suspension of NSR 150 sp beside showa (stock) and yss.

I was quoted by honda 8000 baht for showa (stock) and 10,000 for yss. is this price correct?

Another question, is there any place to recondition the rear shock (change the gas, spring, etc) in thailand?

Is there any bike wrecker here in thailand where you can find used parts?

Thanx in advance for all the response.

Best regards.

You might want to read my ramblings about a shock replacement here. The long and short of it is I fitted a Honda Beat one for less than 1000 baht. The YSS code on the box has the shock length coded in it; you will need a Honda shock 260mm or longer (the YSS SP shock is 260mm). My bike was fitted with a 270mm shock. A cbr one will fit (260mm) a Honda Beat one is 265mm and if you can find a Honda shock of 270mm that would be perfect. That is length centre hole to hole. The hole for the bolt is 9mm and the width at either end to fit the shock is 22mm (although if you find a shock slightly wider you can trim it down with an angle grinder; which I have had to do with other bikes when the part was slightly out of spec). These are basic replacement no frills shocks; does the job and good for another 50,000km? If you want an adjustable, gas one, it will cost more, but again should be much less than what you have been quoted (assuming its a generic part). With the basic shock you can only adjust the spring.

The shop manual says its a gas shock, but the one on my bike wasn't, and I am not convinced the Showa one was for 7000 baht that I was quoted. Gas may be what they sell in Auz, but not over here (farang is more demanding parts wise; while Thai wants cheapest price that will do the job). Bikes here are work horses not objects of desire and art :)

If you go into a shop and ask for a Honda NSR150SP shock, they will say 'no have'. If you go in and ask for a Honda Monoshock for Thai Honda 270mm/265mm/260mm, chances are you will get what you want. In Thailand its about affordable parts to do the job, not necessarily having the exact part. Take a caliper and tape measure with you, and check it out before you buy the part.

Tip here: take out the old shock and measure its geometry before you go and buy; don't believe me :)

Make sure you don't buy an NSR150R/RR shock. These are 250mm in length and you exhaust will hit speed bumps. Also your bike will look low down and ugly.

Edited by MaiChai