Thaksin Promises End To Slums In Three Years

george

Thaksin promises end to slums in three years

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra vowed yesterday to wipe out city slums by 2008. Delivering a speech to mark a government-sponsored World Habitat Day event, Mr Thaksin promised to replace all slums with developments like Ban Mankong, a low-cost housing scheme for the poor supervised by the Community Organisations Development Institute (Codi).

''Don't worry that the government won't have the money. As long as I remain the prime minister, the government will give priority to housing,'' Mr Thaksin told the crowd at Sanam Luang.Everyone would be able to own a house regardless of their income.

''The poor who can still help themselves will get a partial subsidy. Those who can't will get [a house] for free,'' he said.

Codi director Somsuk Boonyabancha said the government plans to provide housing to 1.4 million families who registered with the state.

Of these, 300,000 units will be at Ban Mankong, expected to be completed in 2008. About 600,000 units will be built under the Ban Ua-arthorn project and 500,000 units will be knock-down houses.

--Bangkok Post 2005-10-05

It's all just talk.

Where is his Ua Arthorn project? It was supposed to provide everyone with cheap houses already. Last I heard they had only 300 substandard quality units built somewhere on the outskirts, 20 km past Don Muang.

He likes to TALK about solving problems though, I give him that.

Yawn. It's on Rangsit on the way to Nakhon Nayok, past Klong 6. Ua Arthorn project aside, there are hundreds of "karn kae ha" housing projects all over the kingdom for the poor as it is. This is merely a project for the super poor. Somewhere down the road, they need to address the lack of ambition on the part of the majority of these project dwellers. Okay, you have a super low cost home, any plans to start taking care of yourselves and working your way out of the ghetto?

:o

Things must really be getting hot for Doc Tox. He must be ready to disolve the government.  :D A new attempt to win the hearts of poor before a new election. :o

I wonder whether this pledge to provide housing for all of Thailand's poor will somehow impact his promise in the last election to extend the Skytrain out to Nakhon Pathom? :D

THE Old Grey Donkey, Eeyore, stood by himself in a thistly corner of the forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and he thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?"--and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

With apologies to Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends in the hundred acre woods...

:D:D:o

Edited by Sphere

Update:

Thailand will be 'slum-free' by 2008, says PM

BANGKOK: -- The government plans to declare Thailand a 'slum-free' country over the next three years, according to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

When presiding a ceremony marking the 'World Housing Day', organized by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security at Sanam Luang ceremonial ground here on Tuesday, the prime minister said that his administration would turn shabby houses in all slum areas into 'durable houses' over the next three years.

"By the year 2008, there will be no more slum areas in our country and Thailand will be declared 'a slum-free' country," said Mr. Thaksin.

"The government will use unlimited budgets to help the poor--a powerful force of the Thai economy--to improve their living and to give opportunities to their children equally to those of richer families," the Thai leader vowed.

Mr. Thaksin promised that he would work hard over the next three to four years to eliminate poverty.

"As long as I'm still the prime minister, I'll take care of all Thais to make them happy, have a hopeful life and fulfil their basic needs, especially the housing need," he said.

"Those who are badly impoverished, they will be given free houses, while those who are still self-economic reliable, they will be assisted in a form of soft loans to build their houses through the government-sponsored 'Bank for the Poor' Project", he noted.

The prime minister said the government would also begin to restructure people's debts from October 18.

Annually, the United Nations designates the first Monday of October as the 'World Housing Day' and the Thai government through the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, with the cooperation of the UN Habitat and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP), as well as local civic groups and agencies concerned, has observed the day.

The Thai cabinet, at its roving meeting in the northeastern Kalasin Province on Tuesday, also endorsed a plan to provide more funds to the remaining of 3,270 villages under the government's small, medium and large-scale

(SML) village fund development project by the end of October.

Most of the villages entitled for the SML fund, or nearly 35,000 across the country, have already been assisted with the fund, worth Bt 8.2 billion in total.

The cabinet also approved a povery alleviation plan proposed by the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives.

As well, the prime minister, himself, instructed agencies concerned to accelerate implementing income generating plans for the public.

--TNA 2005-10-05

When Bangkok hosted the Apec conference, Thaksin conveniently solved the problem of the unsightly riverside slum by putting up a giant curtain hundreds of metres long. In this way the dignitaries could observe the ceremonial boats without looking at the riff raff.

When questioned, the people living in the slum refused to give a pithy soundbite, saying they actually quite liked the curtain.

"As long as I'm still the prime minister, I'll take care of all Thais to make them happy, have a hopeful life and fulfil their basic needs, especially the housing need," he said.
HFH Thailand Reconstruction in the Stricken South

by Esther Lake in Phang Nga

Phang Nga: 16th February 2005: Habitat has set up a base in Phang Nga, southern Thailand, to coordinate disaster response. The center will deal with a five-fold plan for consultation, house repair, new builds, setting up a Disaster Response Technical Center and training people in building skills.

Maybe he'll get Habitats for Humanity to build those ones too :o

''Don't worry that the government won't have the money. As long as I remain the prime minister, the government will give priority to housing,'' Mr Thaksin told the crowd at Sanam Luang.Everyone would be able to own a house regardless of their income.....

A slight variation on the old "A chicken in every pot" laced with vote grabbing :o

The Klong Toey area is indeed named as a future redevelopment area, much like the highly successful inner city redevelopments of many western cities. The London Docklands is a particularly striking example. With a subway stop, an expressway ramp, surrounded by Suan Plu, Yenakard, mid-Sukumvit , oh and a glorious river view with protected parkland opposite, it's ready to go.

At least this way, they're actually planning in advance to rehouse the poor, instead of the standard technique of accidental fires.

:D Ban Ua-arthorn ( 20 sq meters) has nothing but problems. :D It isn't the National Housing Authority (NHA) but the policy of the national government, technology, red tape, etc... :D

Knock-down houses ( terrible name ) should be called modular homes. :D Currently the technology is available for the private sector to produce 70-80 units per day possibly 100+ excluding infrastucture. Then the houses could be erected within 3 days. They would be made of local materials and insulated thus making them safe from the elements and sound proof from domestics. A single unit would be very cheap or reasonable with 2 bedrooms , living area, kitchen (approx 50-60 sq meters). Not imported modular/pre-fab houses from China. :o

The land is the major concern as the price of land is higher than the cost of the units. I can't see how the gov can provide a million plus houses with infrastructure in 3 years. The selection process (meetings) will take months, designs, materials, etc...

Great idea, but.......... :D

Most of the slum land belongs to government departments that want the property for other uses not rebuilding new slums.

When I first came to Thailand a match was the solution to slum redevelopment. :D

Two solutions in one: Move the poor to Yala slums, then give it to the Muslims - no more 'Thai' slums.

some of the slum areas are along sukumvit mmm prime land, me thinks thier is an aulterior motive.

I was thinkuing the very same - is that smoke I can smell?

So in three short years Thaksin intends to remove a situation that people struggle with throughout most of the world, and has been in existence for god know's how long. But then he is going to use an 'unlimited budget', so that's okay.....

"unlimited budget" meaning his own money which he stoled from the Thai people?. If that is the case than cheeeeers to Toxin

:o

Update:

BANGKOK: -- The government plans to declare Thailand a 'slum-free' country over the next three years, according to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

It'll be a virtual paradise in 2008. Now that the country is already free of drugs, bird flu, influential figures....... :o

cv

Update:

It'll be a virtual paradise in 2008. Now that the country is already free of drugs, bird flu, influential figures....... :o

cv

Isn't 2008 the year in which Thailand will be free from Toxin as well? :D

I doubt that when Taksin said "money won't be a problem" he meant spending HIS money. I think the was talking about OUR money - mine and everyone elses who pay taxes to his government.

At the moment there's no way he can't be stopped if he wants to take and spend people's money, unfortunately.