Donner Kebab As In Uk

edd

My memories of a UK Donner Kebab usually involved the following: After my first bite - "Why didn't you order the burger and chips...? - Next time order the burger and chips...! - Didn't you promise yourself last time that next time you would order the burger and chips...? Why did you have to order the Large Donner...?" Then waking up on the sofa in the morning surrounded by a semi-familiar aroma emanating mainly from my fingers - "Did I get lucky last night or did I stop by the kebab shop on the way home"? 99 times out of a hundred the styrofoam box on the coffee table and strands of lettuce on my chest broke the bad news to me.

I'm no kebab connoisseur (far from it) but to me the kebab you get from the Döner Kebab cart in the food court in Carrefour tastes quite good. My only complaint would be that I can taste a hint of cinnamon in them.

Then again, that may be how they are supposed to taste.

I've never noticed any taste of cinnamon in those kebabs.

The kebabs sold at the Carrefour Kiosk (food court) are the best I've tasted. The taste will vary depending on the sauces you wish to include but the chicken is nicely done and served in generous portions.

My memories of a UK Donner Kebab usually involved the following: After my first bite - "Why didn't you order the burger and chips...? - Next time order the burger and chips...! - Didn't you promise yourself last time that next time you would order the burger and chips...? Why did you have to order the Large Donner...?" Then waking up on the sofa in the morning surrounded by a semi-familiar aroma emanating mainly from my fingers - "Did I get lucky last night or did I stop by the kebab shop on the way home"? 99 times out of a hundred the styrofoam box on the coffee table and strands of lettuce on my chest broke the bad news to me.

haha so true. And there was always one in your crowd that had to shout the old chestnut "Chili Sauce mate?" at the staff which gave you all a schoolboy snigger....makes you wonder what "extras" were thrown in for the abuse they got every Friday and Saturday night!

I'm no kebab connoisseur (far from it) but to me the kebab you get from the Döner Kebab cart in the food court in Carrefour tastes quite good. My only complaint would be that I can taste a hint of cinnamon in them.

Then again, that may be how they are supposed to taste.

I've never noticed any taste of cinnamon in those kebabs.

The kebabs sold at the Carrefour Kiosk (food court) are the best I've tasted. The taste will vary depending on the sauces you wish to include but the chicken is nicely done and served in generous portions.

Have you tried the yoghurt drink they sell? Very refreshing.

For those of you who might be coming up to korat Siam Pizza and Kabob has great Donner Kabobs at 45 baht each. Picked up a couple to go yesterday. They are located across from the University on route 205 in Korat.

Barry

Edited by barryofthailand

Most of the street venders are selling the same as what i used to get in Bahrain and Oman. They are called shawama's. I think thats how to spell it.

I watch where i buy them now. Went in nice, came out bad; if you know what i mean.

I have a house at soi khaow talo and have seen them towing there meat past, uncovered and still on the spinning cooker thing. Nice.:bah: I wouldn't like to be the first person to buy of that vender.

Good to here Punch and Judy pub is selling them. Next time i'm near i'll be in. Mouth is already watering.

There's a new Turkish Doner place on Walking Street now, called Istanbul Palace, just next to Lucifer.

Proper Turkish style pita bread freshly baked in a wood oven on the premises, yogurt dressing, yummy!

post-128481-0-72936300-1306214585_thumb. post-128481-0-39255000-1306214595_thumb.

(There's another new Turkish place a bit further down WS but it's the same as all the other Kebab places - wraps, ketchup and mayo.)

(Edit: photos resized)

Edited by WyattEarp

Have you tried the yoghurt drink they sell? Very refreshing.

Yes, I did try it once. I like their lentil soup.

Tried the chicken kabob (only type) and it was okay...but something missing in the taste...maybe not salted enough or no garlic-mayo sauce <_<

Lentil soup, however, is quite good and easy to get some to take home for later eating (B50 a bowl).

Tried the chicken kabob (only type) and it was okay...but something missing in the taste...maybe not salted enough or no garlic-mayo sauce <_<

Lentil soup, however, is quite good and easy to get some to take home for later eating (B50 a bowl).

They use the traditional yogurt-garlic sauce with enough garlic to keep you stinking until the next day.

They use the traditional yogurt-garlic sauce with enough garlic to keep you stinking until the next day.

Didn't taste any...will have to ask for extra sauce...one can never have too much garlic in anything :)

Hm, my parter and I both agree with FarangBuddha on this one, you can never have too much garlic! ;)

I'm also aware that anyone around me who hasn't consumed garlic won't agree. ;) Garlic breath is the pits.

Edited by tropo

There's a new Turkish Doner place on Walking Street now, called Istanbul Palace, just next to Lucifer.

Proper Turkish style pita bread freshly baked in a wood oven on the premises, yogurt dressing, yummy!

post-128481-0-72936300-1306214585_thumb. post-128481-0-39255000-1306214595_thumb.

(There's another new Turkish place a bit further down WS but it's the same as all the other Kebab places - wraps, ketchup and mayo.)

(Edit: photos resized)

Not so easy to see but the bread does not look authentic or good at all. It looks like store bought pita crap.

Nope, not store bought. I saw them take it out of the oven. In fact, I was buying one, and even though there were already bread in the basket, they asked me to wait 2 minutes for the fresh bread to come out of the oven. Yummy, I tell you! :)