Water Pump Is Working.

The water pump that pumps the water from the mains to the house seems to be 'working' a lot. At the moment it is humming away merrily and as I touch it the unit is vibrating but no water has been used for a couple of hours at least. I have just checked all taps and toilets and everything is turned off. Sometimes I hear a 'Gush, Gush' sound when I am outside, as if it is pumping water too.

Is this normal?

It is a Mitsubishi water pump.

Just as a suggestion you are supposed to drain the charge chamber every year. It has a tendency to fill up with water under certain conditions and the pump looses the ability to create a buffer supply with air pressure. Causes the pump to run all the time. Could be other more serious things but this is an easy fix. Just turn off unscrew the plugs and drain.

Have a look at your water meter, if the meter is working then your using water, if not then try the above.

If the main water meter is going round you have a leak/ burst pipe..... OK is old school way but get a rod or wood stick place it on any exposed pipe or tap put the other end to your ear, you will hear if water is running in that pipe.

About 2 years after my house was built had the same problem, water could be heard running from pipe in the downstairs shower/wash hand basin pipe. For me was a straight forward job, I re-piped the whole house, as i have a lean to shed. keeping room on that side of house ran the new pipes outside the main house, but inside this room, of course you will need to make the holes for tapes go right through the wall to outside, for upstairs somewhere you should have an inspection trap door downstairs so you will be able to see the pipes, cut pipe, make hole in wall to outside and fit new pipe.

It is over 5 years ago I did this and still all is fine, the problem with new houses is they settle, often people have build on a kitchen which will move thus breaking the pipes, after some time.

Another house near where i live had the same problem, they got a worker in, they fixed it by smashing up the floor in the downstairs bathroom + kitchen, the pipe was broken under the floor between kitchen and bathroom.

Just as a suggestion you are supposed to drain the charge chamber every year. It has a tendency to fill up with water under certain conditions and the pump looses the ability to create a buffer supply with air pressure. Causes the pump to run all the time. Could be other more serious things but this is an easy fix. Just turn off unscrew the plugs and drain.

I have done as you suggested and at the moment the pump is not running. I will give it some time to see if that remains the situation.

Thanks for the advice.