What Is Your Prediction On Phukets Future?

brieno1955

The north east (Isaan) is kept poor, on purpose, so it supplies cheap labour and women to the sex trade. Ask any cook, cleaner, security, reception girl, bar girl, freelancer, 7/11 staff, retail staff at Big C etc etc (all minimum wage jobs) where they come from and most will say they are from "Isaan."

They are not in Phuket because they can make more money here. They are in Phuket because they have no other option but to head south and work in the services, labour or sex trade. The Thai elite even screw over their own people. The gap between the haves and have nots is too big here. Last year we nearly seen a civil uprising like we are seeing all over the Middle East at the moment. The Governemnt shot dead 90 of it's own citizens to quell it.

This cheap labour etc makes it cheap for westerners to holiday/live here, BUT, who is making all the money???? I can tell you it's not the cook at your guesthouse who works 12 hours a day 6 days a week for 7000 baht a month, and, in general, it's not the farang guesthouse owner - it's the Thai landlord who does nothing but drive their BMW to see you every month and collect their money.

Isaan is kept poor on purpose? Don't you think the people have something to say in this? Isaan is poor because there is nothing there but farming, and poor farming as well, that is why Isaan is poor and will remain poor.

And comparing the red shirts to the Middle East shows you really are out of touch with reality, both here and in the Middle East.

Agree. That was a very daft comment 'NKM'. In England the North has always been poorer. Houses are half the price they are in the south, and Northern workers have always flooded south looking for work. Again you and others, are talking about Phuket and Thailand, without looking at the big picture the world over. Things aren't that different here.

The north east (Isaan) is kept poor, on purpose, so it supplies cheap labour and women to the sex trade. Ask any cook, cleaner, security, reception girl, bar girl, freelancer, 7/11 staff, retail staff at Big C etc etc (all minimum wage jobs) where they come from and most will say they are from "Isaan."

They are not in Phuket because they can make more money here. They are in Phuket because they have no other option but to head south and work in the services, labour or sex trade. The Thai elite even screw over their own people. The gap between the haves and have nots is too big here. Last year we nearly seen a civil uprising like we are seeing all over the Middle East at the moment. The Governemnt shot dead 90 of it's own citizens to quell it.

This cheap labour etc makes it cheap for westerners to holiday/live here, BUT, who is making all the money???? I can tell you it's not the cook at your guesthouse who works 12 hours a day 6 days a week for 7000 baht a month, and, in general, it's not the farang guesthouse owner - it's the Thai landlord who does nothing but drive their BMW to see you every month and collect their money.

Isaan is kept poor on purpose? Don't you think the people have something to say in this? Isaan is poor because there is nothing there but farming, and poor farming as well, that is why Isaan is poor and will remain poor.

And comparing the red shirts to the Middle East shows you really are out of touch with reality, both here and in the Middle East.

Bangkok Thai's look down upon Thai's from Isaan. There is no "equal oppurtunity" in Thailand for you if you are from Isaan.

Education and medical are not to the same standard as in the south. Have you ever been to the Isaan villages? No electricity, no phone cable, no running water. Sanitation and hygiene are low. By definition, it's the third world, yet, it is still in Thailand. I have spent a lot of time up there. If the Government built factories etc in Isaan there may be alternative employment for locals than to just head south and work in the minimum wage jobs or the sex trade. Maybe, they could even live with their children, instead of having the grandparents raising their kids.

My Middle East comment is not out of touch. The "Red Shirts" held power so the yellow shirts took the airport. Then, there was a coup to get rid of Mr. T who was pro red shirt for his own greedy reasons. Zimbabwe, South Africa, and soon, many of the Middle East countries who have forced regieme change, will go through a "redistribution of wealth." There is nooooooooo way the Thai elite will ever allow a redistribution of wealth here. However, notice how the Prime Minister has been throwing promises at Isaan. Promises of more infastructure, schools, hospital, welfare payments etc. Could that be an admission that Bangkok has neglected Isaan for years, after all, they Thai as well.

Edited by NamKangMan

Agree. That was a very daft comment 'NKM'. In England the North has always been poorer. Houses are half the price they are in the south, and Northern workers have always flooded south looking for work. Again you and others, are talking about Phuket and Thailand, without looking at the big picture the world over. Things aren't that different here.

Even in the poorer suburbs of north England, the Government ensures you receive the basic needs of life. Go to a village in isaan and see what is supplied to the Thai citizens up there. Zerooooooo. Can't compare a village in Isaan with a poorer suburb of England.

Even in the poorer suburbs of north England, the Government ensures you receive the basic needs of life. Go to a village in isaan and see what is supplied to the Thai citizens up there. Zerooooooo. Can't compare a village in Isaan with a poorer suburb of England.

Fair point. Still disagree with the being, 'Kept poor on purpous' comment. The North East is just a very large, dry, area, in a developing country, which is a long way from the capital, and has no real potential for tourism, in the same way the north and the south has. The region being poor is inevitable, and unavoidable.

If the "Elites of Issan" and there are plenty of them treated the residents with some dignity and stopped the fuedal system that is rife there the people of Issan would be able to escape the servitude system...you cant blame all of Issan problems on the Elites of Bangkok....anyhow this is away off topic...its about the future of Phuket

I first came to Phuket 21 years ago and it was an island paradise then...I came back on bi-annual basis for another 10 years then shifted here fulltime...in the 10 years I have been living here there has been tremdous changes some good some not so good but that applies to most places in the world...face up to it people you cant live in Utopia forever...there are several places in South Thailand that are like what Phuket was 15 years ago...just go for a drive from Surat Thani to Nakon Si Thamaraat..but be quick...there is some real big developments starting there now

Humm. How did this topic get derailed into a poor Issan, red/ yellow discussion? Been there and done it.... The topic is about Phuket.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Any more posts about red & yellows will be removed. The topic is about Phuket's Future. Not about Issan's problems. We got enough problems here on Phuket Island.

Humm. How did this topic get derailed into a poor Issan, red/ yellow discussion? Been there and done it.... The topic is about Phuket.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Any more posts about red & yellows will be removed. The topic is about Phuket's Future. Not about Issan's problems. We got enough problems here on Phuket Island.

They are not problems....just some minor irritations....just nod the head and get on with it....too many people come here wanting it to be like where they come from...and who the hell wants that

This is a very good topic with many who know Phuket well and is well worth reading so we should all stick to the topic but it has all been said , so other topic come in . I can see that many of the regular ex pats are more or less in agreement that Phuket is loosing something but of course that has happened all over the tourist world and is there any new place to go even Mount Everest has got Coke cans on it so maybe a new topic could be to all the ex pats on here where do you go now .The tourist will come for a few years yet so the problems we talk about wont go away in the near future.

I myself could pick up sticks and sell here and get in the car with the wife and drive 2hrs to were she comes from Build a King's palace with the money i got from the house in Patong and then do what. Or i could stay right in Patong as a young 67year old and let the problems just pass right over my head trust me i could do that just as well i dont need tuk tuk ,jetski.and if i cant afford Famous Grouse i will buy 100 Pipers

Cheers

They are not problems....just some minor irritations....just nod the head and get on with it....too many people come here wanting it to be like where they come from...and who the hell wants that

Its your right to see things as you see them,but really you canot say that the out of control developement and lack of infrastructure etc,etc are minor irritations.

Its very hard to 'just nod the head and get on with it" when your heads in the sand.:jap:

In the short term (5 to 10 years) I see Phuket losing tourists to Vietnam, Bali and Malaysia, but, particularly, Vietnam. It's also possible that many expats will either relocate, or initially settle in these places, rather than Phuket, or Thailand in general. For example, Cambodia offers better foreign ownership legislation, Langkawi in Malaysia is a tax free island and Vietnam is very cheap and has many nice beaches. All of these countries also offer less stringent visa regulations.

In the long term (10 to 15 years) with the amount of construction going on here, I see Phuket becoming another Costa del Sol. Vacant premises everywhere with for sale signs on them. The same with bars, guesthouses, condos and houses.

In the past, TAT has targeted the Europeans, the English, the Aussies and the Americans. They are now targeting the Indians, Russians and Arabs. When they have run out of new target markets, most likely because Phuket has become too expensive when compared to other holiday destinations in the region, the place will take a real nose dive.

In the short term (5 to 10 years) I see Phuket losing tourists to Vietnam, Bali and Malaysia, but, particularly, Vietnam. It's also possible that many expats will either relocate, or initially settle in these places, rather than Phuket, or Thailand in general. For example, Cambodia offers better foreign ownership legislation, Langkawi in Malaysia is a tax free island and Vietnam is very cheap and has many nice beaches. All of these countries also offer less stringent visa regulations.

In the long term (10 to 15 years) with the amount of construction going on here, I see Phuket becoming another Costa del Sol. Vacant premises everywhere with for sale signs on them. The same with bars, guesthouses, condos and houses.

In the past, TAT has targeted the Europeans, the English, the Aussies and the Americans. They are now targeting the Indians, Russians and Arabs. When they have run out of new target markets, most likely because Phuket has become too expensive when compared to other holiday destinations in the region, the place will take a real nose dive.

Basically relecting my point of view to a Tee, however i think that what you say about the vacant premises everywhere is a major issue already and for sure if it continues it will be saturation long before 10 to 15 years.

PS even BTB for a change sort of agrees ..saying ; Nearly every block of shop houses, that's been built in the last five years, remains 90% empty!:D

PS even BTB for a change sort of agrees ..saying ; Nearly every block of shop houses, that's been built in the last five years, remains 90% empty!:D

There's a block of 30 shophouse on a semi mini road. 2 of them are used. They were built around 5 years ago maybe 7.

They're gonna build an other row on the other side of the road this month :blink:

There's a block of 30 shophouse on a semi mini road. 2 of them are used. They were built around 5 years ago maybe 7.

They're gonna build an other row on the other side of the road this month :blink:

I'm not sure that's me agreeing with you 'brieno1955'. My point was if all the buildings that are being built now and for the last 5 years, aren't being used, eventually things will have to slow down. People won't continue to out supply the demand forever. So yes, Rawai, Chalong, Patong etc etc, coastal areas that are already populated have grown considerably, as residential areas have the world over, the island as a whole (A lot of you forget the north of the island is even there) I don't see being under threat at all, and I haven't heard any decent arguements as to why it would, only unfounded predictions.

The only thing that would make me leave, is if I felt the place was no longer safe for me and my family, and given where I live, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I'm not sure that's me agreeing with you 'brieno1955'. My point was if all the buildings that are being built now and for the last 5 years, aren't being used, eventually things will have to slow down. People won't continue to out supply the demand forever. So yes, Rawai, Chalong, Patong etc etc, coastal areas that are already populated have grown considerably, as residential areas have the world over, the island as a whole (A lot of you forget the north of the island is even there) I don't see being under threat at all, and I haven't heard any decent arguements as to why it would, only unfounded predictions.

The only thing that would make me leave, is if I felt the place was no longer safe for me and my family, and given where I live, I don't see that happening any time soon.

You keep on about "'the rest of Phuket "ad nauseum BTB but dont you understand that the coasts are the very point of living on an island..Living in the center of an island is a bit like living in Isaan IMO. Iam here for the smell of the ocean , and the breezes off the ocean and sounds of the ocean...etc, etc

Your claim that you have only heard unfounded predictions...well, surprise...thats what the question is.."What is your Prediction on Phukets future?""

And guess what a prediction is BTB?

Prediction is closely related to uncertainty...so of course posters predictions are unfounded...they are simply peoples thoughts on what may happen :whistling:

Edited by brieno1955

You keep on about "'the rest of Phuket "ad nauseum BTB but dont you understand that the coasts are the very point of living on an island..Living in the center of an island is a bit like living in Isaan IMO. Iam here for the smell of the ocean , and the breezes off the ocean and sounds of the ocean...etc, etc

Your claim that you have only heard unfounded predictions...well, surprise...thats what the question is.."What is your Prediction on Phukets future?""

And guess what a prediction is BTB?

Prediction is closely related to uncertainty...so of course posters predictions are unfounded...they are simply peoples thoughts on what may happen :whistling:

I understand fully about living near the sea. I live five minutes from the beach. You talk about what YOU are hear for, the smell of the ocean etc.etc. What's that got to do with anything? Lots of Farang live here, and live in Phuket Town, and hardly never go to the beach, not their thing.

I'm well aware of what the word prediction means. It's just that normally, If people want to be taken seriously, they follow up on their predictions with some insightful information that strengthens their arguement. Something you have failed to do!

I'm sorry if talking about the island as a whole makes you nauseous. Perhaps you and others should be more specific. If you aren't talking about Phuket, (The land mass that starts when you cross the bridge, and ends whenever your feet start getting wet) then perhaps you should stop using the word. Use the word, 'Patong' or Rawai' or 'My house, from where I can smell the ocean' or wherever specifically you are talking about.

If you continue to use the word Phuket, I will continue to refer to Phuket. ;)

Always funny when someone living in patong or south of it talks about a fresh breeze of air from the ocean..

Dog poop, raw sewage and garbage tinted with salt isnt the ocean's smell.. Move up north if you want to actually smell it.

and you can live well here a lot cheaper than you can in other countries :jap:

And why do you think that is Peter? Because the greedy developers, both Thai and western have scant regard for the Thais who live and work here. ie high rents and basic neccessities!

Try living here on a Thai wage....

You are living a life of comparitive luxery on the backs of the local workers who are paid a pittance in comparison. :bah:

Very good point. We have to trade some comfort and luxury so others can thrive.

KAren Bravo I like your optimism and I see your vision. Westerners are going to have to push hard for sustainable practices-help it go the in the energy direction if it wants City Stateness,

:whistling:

You don't know the geography. Yes south of Kamala is over populated. But, You can live next to the beach, once you get north to Bang Tao, or be in a five minute drive, of Bang Tao and still have a quiet safe home. The north east has a lot of remote areas It's a long island, and consists of 9 or so major beaches.

:whistling:

You don't know the geography. Yes south of Kamala is over populated. But, You can live next to the beach, once you get north to Bang Tao, or be in a five minute drive, of Bang Tao and still have a quiet safe home. The north east has a lot of remote areas It's a long island, and consists of 9 or so major beaches.

On a thai website i saw a brand new modern home next to golf course and beach on north east.. 25 000baht per month. 1 rai land. Big pool. Modern furniture. House wasnt a moobaan. It's a real house that would make a westerner proud. Most walls are windows. No neighbors.

6hrs later it was rented.. People just need to leave their farang bar areas

On a thai website i saw a brand new modern home next to golf course and beach on north east.. 25 000baht per month. 1 rai land. Big pool. Modern furniture. House wasnt a moobaan. It's a real house that would make a westerner proud. Most walls are windows. No neighbors.

6hrs later it was rented.. People just need to leave their farang bar areas

.......via the internet