Need Some I-Pad Advice

Zodiac

I am interested in buying an i-pad but would like some recommendations for a good one to buy in Thailand. I want it mainly for internet and email.

I am a techno dummy so bear with me:

Can I get an i-pad with similar connectability to a mobile phone? Is my current 1-2 call phone card usable on the i-pad?

Do I need to have a seperate SIM card for the i-pad?

How is the i-pad topped up?

Can i use the i-pad for phone calls?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Hi, I am also a dummy in mobile technology.

However I can say there are 2 kinds of iPads: Wi-Fi only & WiFi with 3G. The Wi-Fi with 3G iPad need a mini SIM card. You can surf the internet anywhere where your mobile carrier is.

With the Wi-Fi only model you can only surf close to Wi-Fi hot spots, Coffee shops or hotels...

And you can make calls with the iPad. But is not so convenient. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I called with the free application Skype.

Additionally the iPads come with 3 memory sizes: 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB. I think 32 GB is ok. 64 GB if you want to download a lot of music or pictures.

The new iPad 2 is the same - but has camera, is thinner and is a bit faster.

Btw. I am selling my iPad Wi-Fi 32 Gb model. 2 months ago imported from USA.

Edited by prepress

The iPad will take a 'mini-sim' (The same as the iPhone) that is a sim card which is smaller than your usual sim card.

You should be able to get a Pay as you go Mini-Sim and arrange a package depending on you usage... i.e. AIS B140 for 50 hours GPRS (connetion over the cell network) usage.

If you have a regular phone such as a Nokia, your Sim will not fit the iPad.

Regarding the Top Up, I suspect that might take a call to AIS or DTAC once in a while to check your balance, I might not be correct, but I'm assuming you might then be able to top up your Pay as you go iPad mini-sim by using though an ATM machine.