Toukay Problem

sbk

they keep coming back! Got the husband to remove them several times from bungalows but they come back. And it does appear to be the same ones. My husband doesn't like to kill them but short of screening the vented windows in the bathrooms (which is what I want to do) there doesn't seem to be another solution. What about mothballs? Do you think placing mothballs in the areas they like to inhabit would encourage them to leave?

Personally, after I saw a toukay eat a mouse, I am a big fan of the critters. They eat all sorts of nasty vermin, only problem is, of course, they poop everywhere.

they keep coming back! Got the husband to remove them several times from bungalows but they come back. And it does appear to be the same ones. My husband doesn't like to kill them but short of screening the vented windows in the bathrooms (which is what I want to do) there doesn't seem to be another solution. What about mothballs? Do you think placing mothballs in the areas they like to inhabit would encourage them to leave?

Personally, after I saw a toukay eat a mouse, I am a big fan of the critters. They eat all sorts of nasty vermin, only problem is, of course, they poop everywhere.

oh never ever kill them, their ghosts will come back to haunt you

screen them out, should do the trick

they are so nice, it would be a shame to kill them just because they have no toilet training :o

Here is the guy. Some of them can be quite large, up to a foot long.

A FOOT long! At that point I think they are big enough to rent their own room. I have a few but they are still small and still neater than some other roomates I've had. So far things are okay living with them but when they get that big, it's time to move out. (Them or me.)

I've searched and everything I keep finding says not to try and poison them. You don't want that much poison lying around.

Here is the guy. Some of them can be quite large, up to a foot long.

A FOOT long! At that point I think they are big enough to rent their own room. I have a few but they are still small and still neater than some other roomates I've had. So far things are okay living with them but when they get that big, it's time to move out. (Them or me.)

Don't confuse the Toukay with the jinjock, both gecko different family. The Toukay gets big enough to eat the jinjock, though I don't know if they do. I have dozens of the latter in the house and just consider them the extended family (droppings and all). :o

I have seen a toukay eat a jingjok (common house gecko). Ick. But I have a much bigger dislike of RODENTS than I do of reptiles so after I saw a toukay eat a mouse I thought "He can stay" . They also eat other disgusting vermin like COCKROACHES. Ick. Ick. I don't have a problem with toukays but I am sure many of my customers get a bit freaked out by them hanging out in their bathrooms.

A juvenile toukay can be differentiated from a common house gecko by looking at the coloring (as you can see mine is a bit bluish with red spots) and the head size, a toukay, as a juvenile, has a head much larger than its body.

Poison would never do, I have 5 dogs and a cat. Besides, I don't want to kill the buggers, just be gone with them!

There song is very distictive.  Starting load and decreasing with every repeat.  There singing outside the bedroom window can be very disturbing.  I found a pellet gun shot to the head has a very good silencing effect. :o

maybe we should try and see if it works on you ?? :D:D

sorry couldnt resist , but you should watch out for bad karma resulting from these kind of actions

I've never had much problem with the tookay. But I don't doubt they'll get in if they find a way to do so. We hear their distinct call quite a bit, but hardly ever see them. Mostly it's the jingjoks that get in the house. They make quite a bit of noise as well. I remember one time my wife and I were sitting outside on a porch and BLOOP! a jingjok crawling across the ceiling crapped whick landed square on my wife's arm.

We usually tolorate the critters since they eat lots of nocturnal insects, including mossies. The drawback to having lizards crawling around in your house is that they can also get in to closets and dressers, crapping or laying eggs.

I agree that the best solution is to screen the windows to keep most lizards out. If they're coming in the slotted bathroom windows, why not get enough screen just to cover those? The deal with the other windows later.

Well according to my husband they aren't just getting in through the bathroom windows but through the areas under the eaves. The bungalows are fan so aren't really sealed tight. We'll, no strike that, He'll have to screen the bathroom windows and silicone all the gaps :o

Well according to my husband they aren't just getting in through the bathroom windows but through the areas under the eaves. The bungalows are fan so aren't really sealed tight. We'll, no strike that, He'll have to screen the bathroom windows and silicone all the gaps :o

Looks like it might be necessary to try to find the spots in the eves where they're getting in and seal those up too. "The bungalows are fan" I'm not sure I understand. Do you have a photo of the bungalow?

You can manage to keep most of the lil buggers out, but there's no way to keep them all out. Lizards, especially jingjoks and young tookays seem to be able to squeeze through spots that a sheet of paper couldn't slide through.

Just that they aren't sealed, as you would an air con room. And I agree, that you can't possibly seal enough to keep the little guys out. Which is why I was hoping there was something that we could put in the room to repel them. Husband says moth balls won't work tho.

Just that they aren't sealed, as you would an air con room. And I agree, that you can't possibly seal enough to keep the little guys out. Which is why I was hoping there was something that we could put in the room to repel them. Husband says moth balls won't work tho.

I don't know if it'd work with lizards or not, but a distant in-law by marriage burns coconut husks to repel fleas and insects. Kills mossies. Even if it worked for lizards, they'd be right back in as soon as the smoke clears.

Yeah, sealing the base of the fans would help. Might also check any ceiling light fixtures, any open cracks or spaces between the floor and the walls, and any open spaces of plumbing and drain fixtures (where they come in or go out though the floor or wall) under sinks as well.

A few tubes of silicone sealer should do the trick, unless the lil buggers claw their way through. Or just use regular putty, the kind that hardens up ater it's been applied. Doesn't have to be done all at once. But I'll bet once you or hubby get started, you'll find it isn't all that much of a hassle to to several spots at a time.

A word of warning. Tokays do bite and they don't release. A tokay bite can be pretty nasty so be careful when handling them.

For those who don't know then, I could wager that you have heard them. They are named after their call (TOK - AY TOK - AY) and if you hear their call more than 7 times in a row its lucky so you'll either find 5 Baht or get a shag!

The problem with the eaves is a real nightmare. We continuously get mice/rats coming in under the corrugated roof tiles (builders always leave a gap for ventilation) they run around on top of the ceiling tiles - there's no way for them to get into the house, but try sleeping with the little b*gg*rs running up and down squeaking all night.

We put down those sticky traps, but I can't deal with listening to them squeak and wrestle to get free so I've told the husband to stop buying them.

If you find a solution to the eaves problem then let us know!

I must say I love anything that eat maleng sap - got holes in all of my best clothes from back home - they must love lycra :o

The problem with the eaves is a real nightmare.  We continuously get mice/rats coming in under the corrugated roof tiles (builders always leave a gap for ventilation) they run around on top of the ceiling tiles - there's no way for them to get into the house, but try sleeping with the little b*gg*rs running up and down squeaking all night.

We put down those sticky traps, but I can't deal with listening to them squeak and wrestle to get free so I've told the husband to stop buying them.

If you find a solution to the eaves problem then let us know!

I must say I love anything that eat maleng sap - got holes in all of my best clothes from back home - they must love lycra  :o

squirt some of this stuff in it will seal it all up its called great stuff expanding foampost-21330-1128544904_thumb.jpg

Don't hurt them, they are wonderful animals!! yes, they can be annoying, but so can humans who are invading their space. I bet they were there before you, so leave them alone.

and they do good for you too, eating bugs.

Usually though they are quite shy and dont like to be too near humans; try playing loud music, singing karaoke or vaccuuming the house.

you will then be exhausted and won't notice them. :o