Pheu Thai Set To Beat Democrats By Narrow Margin: Survey

webfact

You talked about "policy content difference". Is returning Thaksin not policy content?

If "ideologically in Thailand it's hard to see much policy content difference between the parties", does that mean the that the red shirts are part of the "crazed hysteria and ersatz nationalism of the feudalists, military and assorted hangers on."

You can't have it both ways.

I honestly don't understand what you are talking about.

The Democrats may be the favoured party of the elite, but it is much more than that with some first class key people.It's certainly not organically part of the corrupt feudal military establishment.

No Jayboy!! but then you wouldnt would you!??

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talked about "policy content difference". Is returning Thaksin not policy content?

If "ideologically in Thailand it's hard to see much policy content difference between the parties", does that mean the that the red shirts are part of the "crazed hysteria and ersatz nationalism of the feudalists, military and assorted hangers on."

You can't have it both ways.

I honestly don't understand what you are talking about.

The Democrats may be the favoured party of the elite, but it is much more than that with some first class key people.It's certainly not organically part of the corrupt feudal military establishment.

Stop beating around the bush, Jayboy. Just writing 'ideologically hard to see policy content difference' is already the start of obfuscation, unless you mean all parties have the best in mind for ALL Thai people.

Still there are content and execution differences. PTP has one brain, the Dem's many. The Dem's are slower in implementation, the PTP over hasty. The Dem's have part of the traditional elite behind them, the PTP the other part. Both parties have corruption problems, although PTP in it's older guise of TRT/PPP seems to excel. The two PM's with PPP had main agenda point 'bring back Thaksin', the current PM 'bring forward the country'. The PTP has again main agenda point 'bring back Thaksin', the Dem's again 'bring forward the country'. Well, what do you know, by know I even listed some of those 'ideological differences' which some found hard to see ;)

Amazing.You have not listed one genuine policy difference (but see Thaksin comment below) let alone ideological difference.You have fleetingly mentioned execution differences and though not even the point under discussion,is itself questionable.

"Bring forward the country" is not a policy:it's a tired election slogan which any party might use.I suppose it could be argued that "bring back Thaksin is a policy".But in my view it isn't really.Let's say hypothetically he was back and in power or in a position of influence, the question is what policies would be introduced? I suggest in terms of economic, financial and social policies they wouldn't be that different from those of the current government.

Incidentally referring back to earlier posts in this thread, in most democracies where no overall majority after an election the party with the largest number of seats has first turn in trying to form a government.Anyone know what the convention is in Thailand, by which I mean the legal or constitutional position.?

AMazing Jayboy - you say bringing back Thaksin is not a policy but an ideology, but then go on to say that anything he does when he comes back is a policy - so therefore the PTPs POLICY MAKING TOOL is only an ideology which relies on Thaksin to turn into policy - your like a dog running round in circles biting his tail Jayboy

pickpocket.gifThe big character represents the long suffering Thai people the little one is the shadowy leadership of the PTP.

Draw your own conclusions as to the message sent from the lessons learnt so far.

Edited by siampolee

What a lot of nonsense!

Like him or hate him Thaksin was clearly the popular elected leader at the time of the coup.

Why do you think the opposition staged the coup? They were about to get an absolute pasting!

Yes large numbers of Red Shirt leaders were banned from Politics.

Whether or not you agree with the ruling.

At one stage there was literally hundreds of Red Shirt leaders jailed many of them still are.

Often on trumped up charges with very little real evidence.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support these idiots who burned half the city down nor do I think it was reasonable

for government to have the army shoot a thousand people and kill over one hundred.

I just believe the majority of people who vote and pay for everything should get to choose who ever they want to lead them.

As for Rob Oakshott and Tony Windsor, these guys are well aware they will not survive another election.

They were both National Party men {A far right wing party} in a conservative electorate. They then went independent.

Only once they were elected they not only did not remain independent as promised to there electorate they jumped ship

and supported the far left wing parties.

There is no conspiracy regarding the money these guys have had thrown their way its all in black and white.

I don't know if your aware of what recently happened to these guys buddies in the state election.

This is recent quote from the Herald Sun.

" Mr Oakeshott said the losses at the New South Wales election suffered by like-minded independents

was linked to a belief among voters that he had betrayed them by backing federal Labor.

You'll probably say that the electorate will get their say at the next election.

The point I am making is they already had their say and these lying scum took it away from them.

What a lot of nonsense!

Like him or hate him Thaksin was clearly the popular elected leader at the time of the coup.

Why do you think the opposition staged the coup? They were about to get an absolute pasting!

At one stage there was literally hundreds of Red Shirt leaders jailed many of them still are.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support these idiots who burned half the city down nor do I think it was reasonable

for government to have the army shoot a thousand people and kill over one hundred.

I just believe the majority of people who vote and pay for everything should get to choose who ever they want to lead them.

As for Rob Oakshott and Tony Windsor, these guys are well aware they will not survive another election.

They were both National Party men {A far right wing party} in a conservative electorate. They then went independent.

Only once they were elected they not only did not remain independent as promised to there electorate they jumped ship

There is no conspiracy regarding the money these guys have had thrown their way its all in black and white.

I don't know if your aware of what recently happened to these guys buddies in the state election.

" Mr Oakeshott said the losses at the New South Wales election suffered by like-minded independents

was linked to a belief among voters that he had betrayed them by backing federal Labor.

You'll probably say that the electorate will get their say at the next election.

The point I am making is they already had their say and these lying scum took it away from them.

Uh.... what "Red Leaders were banned from politics."

TRT, PPP and a smattering of other party MPs have been banned from politics. The 'Red Leaders' on the other hand have left jail and are running now as politicians on the PTP ticket.

There never were hundreds of Red Leaders, there was about 2 dozen. There were other reds caught in criminal or seditious actions, and many of them have been released. Certainly SOME of the Red Leaders now risk losing their bail situation because they refused to abide by their bail agreements.

But I can't think of a 'Red Leader' who is banned from politics.

Yes it would be lovely if people were free to vote as they chose and chose candidates based on their personal preferences for leadership abilities, and not the ability to purchase smaller parties and a political machine to control voters up country.

Edited by animatic

well thats nice you at least acknowledge that thugs went on rampage last year. If Mr T's party gets in then I suppose we should be grateful they will only quickly arrange to control everything and may kindly leave a few bits for some people. During process over time poor thais will realise what dupes they had been but to late. Perhaps Animal farm comes to mind. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif i suppose we should be grateful that he who is to be obeyed in everything might only be as bad as Coddafi Hussain Mugabwie and like and perhaps not as bad as Hitler Stalin Idi Amin and that group. Whatever if he can he will be dictator. Lets hope if it happens like me you have an exit from here even if it is at huge financial cost and would mean up routing my Thai family perhaps for generations. The poor Thais would just have to suffer as do the people of most one party dictatorships.

What a lot of nonsense!

Nonsense? I think you should do some research.

Thaksin dissolved parliament in February 2006 for an April election. That basically means he stopped being the elected leader.

A result could not be declared in the election, initially because in some electorates the only candidate failed to get 20% of the vote.

Thaksin was appointed care-taker PM by the King, a position that he then resigned from ... and then changed his mind ... without re-appointment.

The election was nullified by the courts, the main reason being, the incorrect placement of polling booths.

The coup occurred while Thaksin was care-taker (therefore unelected) PM.

The coup occurred because Thaksin was in the process of controlling all the checks and balances required for a democracy.

Now I'm getting confused.

Red shirt leaders banned from politics? What are you talking about?

I didn't know that there were hundreds of Red shirt leaders? I thought there were about 20 and they've all been released from jail ... for now. I'd hardly call them trumped up charges. There's a hell of a lot of video evidence.

Killed over one hundred people? Now you're just making things up.

If you check the system in place, the people get to vote for MPs. The MPs get to choose who leads them. At the moment (well, before Tuesday) a majority of the MPs chose to have Abhisit lead them.

At one stage there was literally hundreds of Red Shirt leaders jailed

Hundreds of "leaders"????.... :cheesy:

Is every Somchai in a Red Shirt a "leader"??? :unsure:

No wonder they have such organizational difficulties... everyone's a "leader" :rolleyes:

thanks for the laughs, the rest of your post is funny, too. :D:lol:

oh, and

:welcomeani::signthaivisa:

Democrats, Pheu Thai (%)

Management efficiency: 35.5 54.5

Economic performance: 35.4 64.6

Vision and policies: 41.0 59.0

Public acceptance: 39.1 60.9.........

It's time for these muppets to get out!! Unelected and unfit to govern. In the last election they were massacred 165: 233

Even though you Dem defenders claim the 'Westminster system' and 'fairly elected by fellow members of the house', the simple fact is; there is not another country in the world that is governed by a party who lost this badly in the most recent general election. And still they refuse to accept the condition that the party with the most votes gets the mandate...they know this will cause more political turbulence, but shamelessly and spinelessly they will cling to power by any means. You've had your turn (as unfair as it was) now listen to the people AND GET OUT!!!!!!!!

maewrocks

TV user name means Thaksin rocks

frequent poster in favour of Thaksin

frequent abuser of democrats

joined 1st may 2011

can anyone join the dots here............

Very interesting.... So you are monitoring forum members whose views you happen not to agree with. I wonder who is monitoring you?

moderators moderate, others pass comment, sometimes not so helpfully or well intentioned

the post stands so its doesn't breaks the forum rules

if you disagree that there are many Thaksin and red cheerleaders signed up recently then justify it

if you can't then you have to accept its possible that they are using the forum to circulate propaganda

if you can't be arsed either way then so be it, but stop chasing my posts around TV trying to intimidate me into keeping quiet

you won't succeed

but lets get this straight once and for all, i am not a red hater or thaksin hater

i simply hate bullies, they can be red , blue, green or pink, they can be aged 9 or 90

i just do not care for people who intimidate others in any way

hence my favorite recent cause was the reds, who bullied and intimidated their way into their current position,

they are still doing it, maybe it will be the yellows after the election

it matters not to me, if you are a bully then you are in my firing line

ok RRRRRRR edddin??

What a lot of nonsense!

welcome newbie

dive right into the political turmoil...........

I'm sorry but 'Thai Ruk Thai' Thaksin party is clearly Red Shirt..

Your argument is because the courts banned them from Politics they can't be banned because they don't exist anymore.

Of course they were banned and they were jailed and since then the same has happened to large numbers of their Leaders and supporters.

Even the government controlled 'Fa Lung" media acknowledges that much.

Here are some links to some news articles explaining it for you.

You will have to ad the first part.

guardian.co.uk/world/2007/may/31/thailand

associatedcontent.com/article/5447592/thai_red_shirt_protesters_arrested.html

asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/thailands-political-turmoil-a-solution-in-sight.pdf

facthai.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/surachai-case-an-anomaly-for-lese-majeste-giles-ji-ungpakorn/

nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/05/06/politics/Reds-to-stay-put-for-now-30128642.html

globalgeopolitics.net/wordpress/2010/09/24/politics-thailand-red-shirt-protest-leaders-up-for-trial/

nationmultimedia.com/2011/04/16/national/DSI-wants-red-shirt-leaders-back-in-jail-for-viola-30153215.html

thailand-business-news.com/politics/30213-red-shirts-editor-faces-lese-majeste-charges

Thaksin even to today is the most popular elected leader in Thai history.

Here was the only leader to ever last a full term and then be re-elected.

It sounds like your confused about many things.

Perhaps you should try using google.

It is very useful tool for looking up old newspaper articles.

There are a number of different figures thrown around by media sources.

Some say as many as 2000 were injured.

But their was clearly more than 100 people killed during the few months protest.

In Bangkok alone in a few days they killed 90.

I was just down the street and herd the gun fire when one of the protesters coped it in Udon.

Maybe your confusing the figure with the number of people killed in the final crack down.

Perhaps if you start doing some research of your own you might understand things better.

Good Luck with that!

The present government got in by having the last government thrown out by the power of the gun.

They then had last government and its people banned form political activity.

When the ordinary people protested in the street they shot them dead.

Your confused or brainwashed by the government controlled "Fa Lung" media.

You may think because Abhisit is a well spoken, educated gent that he is a good leader for this country, but your wrong.

He is like a school teacher. If you put a school teacher in charge of running a small business the result is nearly always the business goes out business and

the people loose their jobs.

Thaksin on the other hand was a rat cunning small business man that became a big business man, exactly the sort of person you need to run things.

The business of running a country is possibly the most difficult.

Abhisit gave cash hand outs, he heavily subsidized water and electricity rates to the rural poor.

So why don't the people love him?

Thaksin had almost got rid of the drug trade and killed a lot of these murdering gangster behind it.

He introduced free schooling for the poor.

Free hospital treatment for them.

He allowed large numbers of major projects to go ahead.

The new airport for instance which the people behind the current government had stalled for forty years.

Most of modern Bangkok you see today simply wouldn't of happened with out him.

He gave the poor a chance to vote.

Giving money so they could take the time off and often transport if they needed it.

He would take particular interest in local affairs all over the country, often making telephone calls to village leaders and business

people asking them to do the right thing.

Thaksins problem is he is a little greedy and sometimes a little bit to pleased with himself.

The other problem is some of his supporters are extremist.

If he somehow does come back as he says he is going to, these are things of concern.

Not that he is a Hitler or Stalin figure. This would be a far better description of the present government.

welcome newbie

I suspect we will see quite a few "newbies" over the coming weeks. :whistling:

Why do you think that is?

Could it be because we are at last witnessing the beginning of the election process everyone wants (I presume), and that it is attracting more people to the topic than normal, or do you think there's some other reason. Please do elucidate so that we may share in your understanding.

Thanks.

Hundreds of "leaders"????....

Is every Somchai in a Red Shirt a "leader"???

No wonder they have such organizational difficulties... everyone's a "leader"

I actually met one of their leaders she was a massage girl taking a car load of her followers to the rally.

Its funny but I suspect they do have a lot of organizational difficulties for that very reason.

I herd the government controlled media talk about the court ruling and the pending protest in Bangkok last year.

It was a radio broadcast which took place in some public hall in Chiang Mai. They said that the 'Red Shirt Movement' had

all but faded way. Most people were not interested and only a few had even bothered to turn out to watch the court ruling being broadcast.

A few days later I was in Bangkok on the sky train walk at Chitlom and witnessed a red colored crowd similar to a 100,000 strong at football stadium.

I don't know where they all came from, but I suspect they had few leaders among them.

Follow some of the lin-ks I left on my other blog you should be able to learn a little bit about it.

Thanks for the welcome.

welcome newbie

Could it be because we are at last witnessing the beginning of the election process everyone wants (I presume), and that it is attracting more people to the topic than normal, or do you think there's some other reason. Please do elucidate so that we may share in your understanding.

Thanks.

Not difficult to work out.

Abhisit calling an early election is unlikely to create a flood of brand new members to Thai Visa.com.

Abhisit calling an early election is likely to create a flood of banned members returning under new identities, or even existing members wishing to post (for whatever reason) under a different (or additional) name.

Not a conspiracy theory, it has happened before.

welcome newbie

Thanks.

Not difficult to work out.

Abhisit calling an early election is unlikely to create a flood of brand new members to Thai Visa.com.

Abhisit calling an early election is likely to create a flood of banned members returning under new identities, or even existing members wishing to post (for whatever reason) under a different (or additional) name.

Not a conspiracy theory, it has happened before.

I bow to your obvious experience. Thank you.

I wonder why it is mainly red-shirt supporters that got banned and now seek to return. Are they coarser than most? Whatever, if we were all Thai their electoral votes would count also.

Amazingly, a party in disarray with leadership squabbles, run remotely, with a number 1 objective to spring Thaksin, and constantly exposed as fraudulent still manages to edge ahead, only in Thailand.

Not amazing at all when they know the alternative is a military led coalition with an ineffective prime minister.

Fascinating to see that more people will (allegedly) vote for the party withe least integrity.

T.I.T.

Oh and people can't have a different opinion than you? Just like the elite/ military in Thailand. I actually joined because I was disgusted with the one-sided nature of the forum.

Everyone supports the government .... can anyone join the dots here............

Do you not mean "re-join" :whistling:

Amazingly, a party in disarray with leadership squabbles, run remotely, with a number 1 objective to spring Thaksin, and constantly exposed as fraudulent still manages to edge ahead, only in Thailand.

Not amazing at all when they know the alternative is a military led coalition with an ineffective prime minister.

Fascinating to see that more people will (allegedly) vote for the party withe least integrity.

T.I.T.

Isn't the exotic nature of this country part of the reason you chose to stay here (if you are indeed here)?

No need for anyone to be surprised unless they yearn for the 'sanity' of home.

T.I.T.

Isn't the exotic nature of this country part of the reason you chose to stay here (if you are indeed here)?

No need for anyone to be surprised unless they yearn for the 'sanity' of home.

Exotic certainly, but corrupt ?

No.

I'm sorry but 'Thai Ruk Thai' Thaksin party is clearly Red Shirt..

Your argument is because the courts banned them from Politics they can't be banned because they don't exist anymore.

Of course they were banned and they were jailed and since then the same has happened to large numbers of their Leaders and supporters.

Even the government controlled 'Fa Lung" media acknowledges that much.

You are confusing things. Thai Rak Thai is not Red Shirt. The red shirts didn't exist then.

TRT politicians were banned. None of the TRT politicians went to jail.

The Red Shirt leaders (not hundreds, but about 20) went to jail. None of them were banned politicians. All (??) the Red Shirt leaders are out on bail.

Thaksin even to today is the most popular elected leader in Thai history.

Here was the only leader to ever last a full term and then be re-elected.

Both correct.

But he was NOT the elected leader at the time of the coup.

It sounds like your confused about many things.

Perhaps you should try using google.

It is very useful tool for looking up old newspaper articles.

There are a number of different figures thrown around by media sources.

Some say as many as 2000 were injured.

But their was clearly more than 100 people killed during the few months protest.

In Bangkok alone in a few days they killed 90.

I was just down the street and herd the gun fire when one of the protesters coped it in Udon.

Maybe your confusing the figure with the number of people killed in the final crack down.

Perhaps if you start doing some research of your own you might understand things better.

Good Luck with that!

Take your own advice and find me one single article that says that more than 91 (or even 93) people were killed during the whole protest period. And that number includes people killed BY the red shirts too.

There were 25 killed on April 10. About 5 killed by grenade blasts at Silom. Leading up to the final crackdown (May 13 - 18) about 40 were killed. On May 19 (according to wiki) only 6 were killed. And those numbers include soldiers, reporters and bystanders killed by red shirts.

There was no one killed during the protest period out side of Bangkok.

Here is a good summary : http://www.thaivisa....ears-crackdown/

Edited by whybother

Sorry but the Red Shirt movement was spawned by the banning of their political party and politicians. Yes

and a number of them went to jail.

Probably best you read up on the subject.

I left a bunch of l-inks on one of my blogs should be helpful to you.

No they are not all out on bail just the 19 who were locked up during the crack down.

The present government got in by having the last government thrown out by the power of the gun.

They then had last government and its people banned form political activity.

The last government was thrown out by the courts because of electoral fraud, not by the army.

When the ordinary people protested in the street they shot them dead.

They shouldn't have brought their armed militia with them.

Your confused or brainwashed by the government controlled "Fa Lung" media.

You may think because Abhisit is a well spoken, educated gent that he is a good leader for this country, but your wrong.

He is like a school teacher. If you put a school teacher in charge of running a small business the result is nearly always the business goes out business and

the people loose their jobs.

Thaksin on the other hand was a rat cunning small business man that became a big business man, exactly the sort of person you need to run things.

The business of running a country is possibly the most difficult.

Abhisit gave cash hand outs, he heavily subsidized water and electricity rates to the rural poor.

So why don't the people love him?

Thaksin had almost got rid of the drug trade and killed a lot of these murdering gangster behind it.

He introduced free schooling for the poor.

Free hospital treatment for them.

He allowed large numbers of major projects to go ahead.

The new airport for instance which the people behind the current government had stalled for forty years.

Most of modern Bangkok you see today simply wouldn't of happened with out him.

He gave the poor a chance to vote.

Giving money so they could take the time off and often transport if they needed it.

He would take particular interest in local affairs all over the country, often making telephone calls to village leaders and business

people asking them to do the right thing.

Thaksins problem is he is a little greedy and sometimes a little bit to pleased with himself.

The other problem is some of his supporters are extremist.

If he somehow does come back as he says he is going to, these are things of concern.

Not that he is a Hitler or Stalin figure. This would be a far better description of the present government.

I think you've been reading too much red shirt propaganda.

Thaksin was a corrupt police man that became a corrupt big business man. He used his corrupt primeministership to become an even richer business man.

Thaksin over saw the killings of 2800 people during his war on drugs. Reports say that half of these had nothing to do with the drug trade. All of them were killed without a trial. All that Thaksin's war on drugs did was kill off the competition.

Thaksin didn't provide free hospital treatment. It was the 30-baht scheme. Cheap but not free. What Thaksin didn't do was fund the hospitals. So people got their hospital treatment cheap, but the hospital didn't have the money to provide the services.

Have you read about all the corruption involved in the building of the airport? The problems with the runways? The way that Thaksin silenced the media when they tried to report on the corruption and the problems? As you say, google is your friend.

Thaksin was well on his way to changing the laws so that "he could be in power for 20 years". http://www.thaivisa....s/page__st__-10

He wasn't like Hitler, but he was corrupting the democratic checks and balances in the same way that Hitler did.

Sorry but the Red Shirt movement was spawned by the banning of their political party and politicians. Yes

and a number of them went to jail.

Probably best you read up on the subject.

I left a bunch of l-inks on one of my blogs should be helpful to you.

No they are not all out on bail just the 19 who were locked up during the crack down.

Is every red shirt that was jailed "a leader"?

Were any politicians jailed?

Acording to your information.

The link you posted.

93 killed

7missing

1 was forced to disappear by the state (what ever that means)

So lets take it that these 7 are being held in a top secret dungeon somewhere and the 1 who was forced to disappear is now hiding under his bed.

The truth is we will never know how many people died.

How many accidents which were not accidents are not included in the government controlled media figures.

As I said before the figures change dramatically depending on what paper you read.

However I think I am pretty safe in saying that hundred people got killed.

A friend of mine who works with the Police in Udon told me they killed a guy. I herd shots fired.

This is only one incident that was not reported.

Acording to your information.

The link you posted.

93 killed

7missing

1 was forced to disappear by the state (what ever that means)

So lets take it that these 7 are being held in a top secret dungeon somewhere and the 1 who was forced to disappear is now hiding under his bed.

The truth is we will never know how many people died.

How many accidents which were not accidents are not included in the government controlled media figures.

As I said before the figures change dramatically depending on what paper you read.

However I think I am pretty safe in saying that hundred people got killed.

A friend of mine who works with the Police in Udon told me they killed a guy. I herd shots fired.

This is only one incident that was not reported.

Those figures come from an independent group, more linked to Thaksin than to the government. If people were killed anywhere to do with the protests it would have been in this report.

93 killed. 1 of those a red shirt protester in a jewelry shop in Central World. 1 of existing medical issues. About 20 killed by red shirts.

Arisman is missing. He skipped the country. How many others just decided to disappear themselves?

Clearly NOT 100 people killed during the protests.

Show me any report that says (and shows details) that more than 100 people were killed.

Edited by whybother