Buying Land For The Future

Normally I would assume no, but I have several friends who have secured bank loans for houses.

My question is, if I would like to buy a few rai - undeveloped, basically unused jungle or beach front nothing - can I get a loan from a Thai bank for the purchase? (Obviously under my wife/child's name - not mine)

The idea being to have something to build a retirement home on in 20-30 years when the time comes. Or sell it, who knows!

I'm thinking between 1-3million.

For reference:

I am married to a Thai

We have a child together

She is a housewife

I have been working in Thailand with a work permit for 7 years

I make a pretty decent income

I have a Thai credit history via a Thai credit card

Good references available

Basically I'm just wondering if it is possible or if anyone had heard of a foreigner being the guaranteer on their wife's land loan.

Thanks!

Why don't you ask your Thai bank? If you are still living here in Thailand, and have a decent income, I am quite sure your wife will be given a loan with you as a guarantor. However, whereas a Thai normally can get 30 year loans, I am not sure if such a long time will be given for a loan with foreign guarantor.

Why don't you ask your Thai bank?[...]

We had asked Kasikorn Bank for a loan on land. They refused; only possible with building a house...

Interesting! Thanks for that response.

Any idea if you had decided to buy land and build a house if they would have said yes?

All the foreigner guaranteers that I know were buying hoses that were part of a housing development - or the house already existed.

Any idea if you had decided to buy land and build a house if they would have said yes?

All the foreigner guaranteers that I know were buying hoses that were part of a housing development - or the house already existed.

I told them, that I am planning a house within the next 3-5 year. But they wanted an already existing project (plans, budget etc.).