Transit Through Bkk On Tg From Cnx To Hkg

I will be flying from Chiang Mai to Hong Kong through Bangkok, with all flights on Thai. I am just curious, where do I pass through immigration /passport control?

Also, I have to do a few things in BKK on the way back to CNX. I have the option to book a 10 hour connection in BKK which will give me enough time to get things done. I would just like to know if I can leave BKK airport during that transit time? I mean, I'm not sure if I'll have to wait in the BKK transit area and clear immigration in CNX. I was hoping I could just pass through immigration in BKK and leave the airport? I am assuimng my bags will be checked through and I'll allready have boarding passes... If any one knows if this is possible or how to do this I'd love to hear...

Outward you will go to the international departures terminal in CNX and book straight through, you wil be given a CIQ shirt sticker to wear. Up the escalator to your right, 180 degree about turn and you will pass through immigration at that point. On arrival at Bangkok all passengers with CIQ stickers are redirected straight into the departure hall. On return you may go through a seperate immigration/customs control in BKK or you may go through it here in CNX. if you wish to leave the airport in BKK then I would imagine you would have to check yourself in for a lfight to Bangkok only, pass through customs/immigration in BKK then check yourself back in whenever for the CNX flight. I have never tried it but I imagine they would not a allow you to leave a secure area once you have the boarding pass and they certainly would not like passengers leaving their bags behind because of the security implications and aircraft delays unloadfing your baggage if you do not make it back. It might be worth checking in the TG office.

Outward you will go to the international departures terminal in CNX and book straight through, you wil be given a CIQ shirt sticker to wear. Up the escalator to your right, 180 degree about turn and you will pass through immigration at that point. On arrival at Bangkok all passengers with CIQ stickers are redirected straight into the departure hall. On return you may go through a seperate immigration/customs control in BKK or you may go through it here in CNX. if you wish to leave the airport in BKK then I would imagine you would have to check yourself in for a lfight to Bangkok only, pass through customs/immigration in BKK then check yourself back in whenever for the CNX flight. I have never tried it but I imagine they would not a allow you to leave a secure area once you have the boarding pass and they certainly would not like passengers leaving their bags behind because of the security implications and aircraft delays unloadfing your baggage if you do not make it back. It might be worth checking in the TG office.

Yes, I've done both trips in the way you describe. Of course the ticket costs somewhat more if you book a stopover.

Simple solution:

Check-in with TG at international departures at CNX. They will check you baggage through to HKG. Walk through the airport to domestic departures and clear security there. Do what you want at BKK or leave the airport entirely. When you are ready to depart, go through immigration then. There's no need for the CIQ sticker, although you may have to explain at check-in at CNX what you are doing.

I've never done this entirely on TG flights but I have done this exactly as described with other connections from CNX-BKK-HKG.

Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe I should have been more clearer. I only want to leave BKK airport on the return leg, from HKG BKK CNX. So I will need to check in international at HKG as everything in Intl from HKG. When I get to BKK, I assume I would be kept in a transit area because I am connecting to CNX. Since I will allready have all my boarding passes from HKG check in, I assume, I thought I could just walk straight to passport control as if BKK was my final destination and the come back through domestic security area before departure to CNX. All my bags would be checked through so I would not need to worry about them .etc. So yeah, I only want to leave BKK airport on the way back from HKG to CNX.

I always do this in KL during stopovers, I just walk in and out of passport control with no issues, however that is a different airport and intl to intl flights. Also, does the CIQ sticker means something like clear immigration quickly or something? I only have 65 mins in BKK on the way to HKG so I asume that is pushing it although Thai say international / domestic connections (to CNX & HKT) on TG only need 55 mins...?

But yeah, I only want to leave BKK on the return to CNX. I know I will have to go through passport control in BKK to do this, I'm just nopt sure if I am expected to wait in the transit area in BKK and then clear immigration in CNX, coz obviously if I leave the airport in BKK i'll pass passport control there and just need to re-enter the airport as if I am on a domestic flight. I'm just not sure if this will be an issues or not.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe I should have been more clearer. I only want to leave BKK airport on the return leg, from HKG BKK CNX. So I will need to check in international at HKG as everything in Intl from HKG. When I get to BKK, I assume I would be kept in a transit area because I am connecting to CNX. Since I will allready have all my boarding passes from HKG check in, I assume, I thought I could just walk straight to passport control as if BKK was my final destination and the come back through domestic security area before departure to CNX. All my bags would be checked through so I would not need to worry about them .etc. So yeah, I only want to leave BKK airport on the way back from HKG to CNX.

I always do this in KL during stopovers, I just walk in and out of passport control with no issues, however that is a different airport and intl to intl flights. Also, does the CIQ sticker means something like clear immigration quickly or something? I only have 65 mins in BKK on the way to HKG so I asume that is pushing it although Thai say international / domestic connections (to CNX & HKT) on TG only need 55 mins...?

But yeah, I only want to leave BKK on the return to CNX. I know I will have to go through passport control in BKK to do this, I'm just nopt sure if I am expected to wait in the transit area in BKK and then clear immigration in CNX, coz obviously if I leave the airport in BKK i'll pass passport control there and just need to re-enter the airport as if I am on a domestic flight. I'm just not sure if this will be an issues or not.

Thanks again.

it's a little more complicated, but shouldn't be a problem. You do everything as you said. But even though you will have gone through immigration at BKK, your baggage will go to international arrivals at CNX where you go through customs. There will be staff at CNX directing passengers with the CIQ sticker to the right to Intl arrivals and everyone else to the left to Domestic arrivals. You'll have to explain why you're going the "wrong" way.