Five PAD Guards Guilty Of Bus Hijacking

webfact

Five PAD guards guilty of bus hijacking

By The Nation

The Criminal Court on Tuesday found five guards of the People's Alliance for Democracy guilty of attempted bus hijacking in connection with street protests in November 2008.

The court sentenced the five to serve three years in jail each before citing their confession as ground for leniency to commute the imprisonment to two years.

The five are Teeradet Wanna, Chaiwat Thapthong, Thani Art-sawang, Somchai Thongkiart and Pongpan Kachan.

Of the original list of six defendants, Somchai Hongsa deceased on April 2 before the verdict session and his name was removed from the case.

The gist of the litigation was when the PAD-led yellow shirts held a raid and seizure of Government House to protest the Samak Sundaravej government, the armed guards tried to hijack a passenger bus under the pretext of using it to fortify the defence of the rally site in the face of anticipated crackdown.

Nang Lerng police successfully staged a rescue operation for bus passengers and foiled the hijacking.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-10

what???

PAD armed and dangerous??????

Hijacking buses??????

Next they will be storming airports and taking them over, oh wait..........................................:whistling:

Well this will certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons for the forum yellows.

Anyway I am starting a sweepstake for the first post that tries to justify these actions by saying the reds did far worse, I reckon within the next two posts, any more takers?

what???

Hijacking buses??????

Next they will be storming airports and taking them over, oh wait..........................................:whistling:

Anyway I am starting a sweepstake for the first post that tries to justify these actions by saying the reds did far worse, I reckon within the next two posts, any more takers?

i will just spout the RED nonsense... it wasn't yellow shirts it was violent anarchists that had nothing to do with the yellow shirts..... there does that sound any different to the <deleted> that the reds spout......just replace red with yellow... lets face it when you get a mob you get bad people in the mob.

Well at least they let the dead guy off with time served. rolleyes.gif

Glad the thuggish ones get some convictions.

No doubt justice will continue to slowly, ever so slowly grind it's way forward.

Edited by animatic

what???

Hijacking buses??????

they were FAKE yellows.......

User is online whybother

Posted 2011-05-10 14:49:54

It's good that thugs get put in jail. It's a pity it takes so long.

Not so fast;

They pled guilty and their 3 year sentence was reduced to 2 years, and their fine of 100 Baht :whistling: was reduced to 66 Baht.

To add to the unbelievable sentence, after pleading guilty and getting a reduced sentence, they then applied for bail to fight the case and it was approved by the court. TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE ??????????

User is online whybother

Not so fast;

They pled guilty and their 3 year sentence was reduced to 2 years, and their fine of 100 Baht :whistling: was reduced to 66 Baht.

To add to the unbelievable sentence, after pleading guilty and getting a reduced sentence, they then applied for bail to fight the case and it was approved by the court. TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE ??????????

I don't believe it. I haven't seen anything about them bail. How could they get bail if they plead guilty? Was it reported anywhere?

edit: now I believe it. found it in the BP. It's standard in Thailand for those on appeal to be released on bail. ... actually, that's standard in a lot of countries.

Edited by whybother

User is online whybother

Not so fast;

I don't believe it. I haven't seen anything about them bail. How could they get bail if they plead guilty? Was it reported anywhere?

edit: now I believe it. found it in the BP. It's standard in Thailand for those on appeal to be released on bail. ... actually, that's standard in a lot of countries.

Is it standard in a lot of countries?

If you enter a plea of innocence but get found guilty, you can appeal but, bail is not guaranteed.

If you enter a guilty plea, the court would agree and down you go.

There have been cases in other parts of the world were an appeal has been lodged after a guilty plea, but they are very much the exception, and incredibly unlikely to be released on bail. In Thailand it appears to be the norm.

Please if you, random/timekeeper have a problem maybe you should be like the Foreign Ministers of Cambodia of Thailand to settle it outside of this forum, just a thought :whistling: : seeing as the two of you have used 2 pages of worth of the forum topic in your battle with no cause and no value. :bah: DO WE HAVE MODS ON THAI VISA????????

User is online whybother

Not so fast;

Is it standard in a lot of countries? You plead guilty and then appeal for bail - and get it? So hypothetically speaking you're found guilty of murder, face life in prison or whatever, you appeal for bail, get it, what are you going to do, hang around?

Agreed ... The fact that they didn't BURN the bus may have counted in their favor in sentencing ;)

Yes, if they had BURNED the bus, it would have been much WORSE, wouldn't it?

Is it standard in a lot of countries? You plead guilty and then appeal for bail - and get it? So hypothetically speaking you're found guilty of murder, face life in prison or whatever, you appeal for bail, get it, what are you going to do, hang around?

I'm wondering what they are appealing. I assume it's the length of the sentence. I would have thought 2 years for hijacking is pretty good. Also, if they are appealing the sentence, you would think that they would be put in jail anyway. It's not like they are going to get no jail .................................

Of course, they might be appealing the 66 baht fine.

Agreed ... The fact that they didn't BURN the bus may have counted in their favor in sentencing ;)

clever

oh wait .. one word responses to statements or discussions are not my thing :)

They took a bus, with passengers... they should have gotten stiffer sentences imho. Nobody appears to have suggested they were threatening the passengers or planned on holding them .. but again .. they should have gotten stiffer sentences.

Fast forward to 2009 ..... April 13th .....

http://news.mcot.net...m50eXBlPWNsaXA=

at about 4:00 into the video shows the reds with the gas truck .... at 4:38 shows the result of petrol bombs used against troops ---4:49 shows the reds behind a bus that had been hijacked to use as a barrier against the security forces ...5:56 reds with the gas truck again while locals called out against the reds (in din daeng) 6:15 into the video -- reds shooting at locals (I think one was killed (local that is) ... 6:30 into the video a bus that had been hi-jacked/taken by the reds and burnt .... 6:36 into the video --- another bus that had been taken and burned is being extinguished .... 6:40 into the video -- another (I think) burnt bus at Pan Fah .... more burning in the background .. can't make out what they were burning there .. but the bus is still in the foreground. (note --- different colored busses with different numbers throughout the day are getting captured and burnt by the reds. 7:41 into the video -(4pm) the troops are able to get the gas truck away from the housing block the reds were threatening .....07:46 into the video DinDaeng residents cheering the troops for getting the gas truck away from their homes ...

so ... YES if the PAD had burned the bus it would have been much worse ... again I think those 5 PAD guards should have gotten a heavier sentence. I hope if they ever identify the reds from April 13th 2009 that they get fitting sentences for their much worse conduct!

a few more photos from 2009 --- a former poster's picture in this one ,,,

http://photo-journ.com/2011-sonkran-festival-may-be-wettest-yet-as-southern-thailand-flood-waters-slowly-recede/battle-for-bangkok-songkran-2009-8

or xinhua's shot ....

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-04/13/content_11180927.htm

another video from April 14th 2009 --- hijacked/captured busses that were sent flaming/burning at security forces ....

so ... YES if the PAD had burned the bus it would have been much worse ... again I think those 5 PAD guards should have gotten a heavier sentence. I hope if they ever identify the reds from April 13th 2009 that they get fitting sentences for their much worse conduct!

Edited by jdinasia

I'm wondering what they are appealing. I assume it's the length of the sentence. I would have thought 2 years for hijacking is pretty good. Also, if they are appealing the sentence, you would think that they would be put in jail anyway. It's not like they are going to get no jail .................................

Well they were caught in possession of firarms and grenades at the same time, so working on recent events you might have thought there would be a charge of terrorism in there somewhere? Perhaps they are appealing that they should be treated like other terrorists?

clever

oh wait .. one word responses to statements or discussions are not my thing :)

They took a bus, with passengers... they should have gotten stiffer sentences imho. Nobody appears to have suggested they were threatening the passengers or planned on holding them .. but again .. they should have gotten stiffer sentences.

Fast forward to 2009 ..... April 13th .....

http://news.mcot.net/politic/inside.php?value=bmlkPTI4ODc2Jm50eXBlPWNsaXA=

at about 4:00 into the video shows the reds with the gas truck .... at 4:38 shows the result of petrol bombs used against troops ---4:49 shows the reds behind a bus that had been hijacked to use as a barrier against the security forces ...5:56 reds with the gas truck again while locals called out against the reds (in din daeng) 6:15 into the video -- reds shooting at locals (I think one was killed (local that is) ... 6:30 into the video a bus that had been hi-jacked/taken by the reds and burnt .... 6:36 into the video --- another bus that had been taken and burned is being extinguished .... 6:40 into the video -- another (I think) burnt bus at Pan Fah .... more burning in the background .. can't make out what they were burning there .. but the bus is still in the foreground. (note --- different colored busses with different numbers throughout the day are getting captured and burnt by the reds. 7:41 into the video -(4pm) the troops are able to get the gas truck away from the housing block the reds were threatening .....07:46 into the video DinDaeng residents cheering the troops for getting the gas truck away from their homes ...

Fairly clear that your original oblique reference to red shirt burnings was basically a 'Yellow shirt hijackers are better than Red Shirt arsonists' type of argument.

I was going to thank you for clearing up that potentially prickly moral and legal conundrum for us in a completely politically unbiased way but since this thread has nothing to do with red shirts I wouldn't want to perpetuate this sidetrack you've felt the keen desire to build for us.

I know you need to do it, that's okay. We are what we are ;)

Sorry Hanuman --- I make sure to condemn the actions of the PAD guards :) I then compare and contrast relatively similar actions --- the hijacking of busses by political extremists. I know that it sticks in the craw of many redshirt/Thaksin supporters that the case just can't be made for the PAD being as violent or destructive as the reds -- even when the beginning actions are quite similar!

Sorry Hanuman --- I make sure to condemn the actions of the PAD guards :) I then compare and contrast relatively similar actions --- the hijacking of busses by political extremists. I know that it sticks in the craw of many redshirt/Thaksin supporters that the case just can't be made for the PAD being as violent or destructive as the reds -- even when the beginning actions are quite similar!

I'm sure there's a thread or twenty devoted to highlighting posters' disgust with the violent actions of a small number of red shirted thugs. Perhaps your observations would be more relevant there.

I'd ask what purpose your comparison could possibly serve in a thread about a very specific incident, but again as a responsible TV poster I hesitate to go off topic...

Well they were caught in possession of firarms and grenades at the same time, so working on recent events you might have thought there would be a charge of terrorism in there somewhere? Perhaps they are appealing that they should be treated like other terrorists?

Grenades? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

It's a rather unsophisticated analysis.Both redshirts and PAD had their thuggish elements, although it must be said the latter's sympathisers denied this despite the overwhelming evidence until quite recently.Don't forget that the PAD, until like a pitbull terrier that has served it's purpose was safely collared again, served the interests of the ruling elite.That elite presided over the murder of unarmed civilians as clearly attested by the recent HRW report.

I think some foreigners, whose lives are perhaps rather restricted , do need to understand that for many Thais this is a life and death struggle.Violence is abhorrent and steps on all sides need to be taken to limit it.However until the greedy and cruel Thai ruling elite adopt Gandhi's philosophy intact there will always be resistance.Gandhi's philosophy worked in India because with all their faults the British were.... well, British.It wouldn't have worked if the occupying power had been Russia, Germany or China.

Grenades? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

Other paper I'm afraid, along with sharpened iron bars, batons etc. Not quite just a simple bus hijack.