Indian Restaurants In Vientiane?

johnds99

Oh Dear ,it is very sad to say ,many years since I was in Vientiane. However I distinctly remember dining at an Indian restaurant. The food was magnificent. The restaurant was on the road opposite the Mae Kong River.Back then, it was the only Indian in town. Highly recommended, if it is still going and as good as it was when i was there. Had a wonderful night with 5 other friends. Believe you me .,-----------

Oh Dear ,it is very sad to say ,many years since I was in Vientiane. However I distinctly remember dining at an Indian restaurant. The food was magnificent. The restaurant was on the road opposite the Mae Kong River.Back then, it was the only Indian in town. Highly recommended, if it is still going and as good as it was when i was there. Had a wonderful night with 5 other friends. Believe you me .,-----------

It was there when I visited last July.

Very nice place, very good spoken English, and they would tailor your meal any way you requested (food wise)

Of course. Ulysses has eaten at every Indian restaurant in Thailand :whistling:

In fact I doubht anyone has. I've eaten at a few in Bangkok's Little India and Nazim's in Vientiane doesn't come close in my opinion. The best Indian food I've had in either country has been in some of the places off Sukhumvit Rd, particularly on Soi 11 and Soi 20. I actually think that's where you find the best Indian in Bangkok, despite the fact there are two or three good spots in Phahurat - Little India - as well. But there's a strong Indian community along Sukhumvit these days, with more money to spend on good cuisine.

A new South Indian booth just opened last week on the east platform of Nana BTS, something like Arya Vegetarian. Excellent. Bangkok has so many Indian restaurants, many of them serving different regional cuisines from India. I doubt anyone, even an Indian resident, has eaten at them all. What I like most about Bangkok's Indian restaurants, most of them anyway, is that they use fresh spices sold in Phahurat, unlike the Indian restos in Laos, where the spices tend to be old, judging from the flavors.

In fact the Indian restos in Laos feature menus that are almost identical, always North Indian/Punjabi food, and the way tends towards long cooking times, heavily stewed or cooked, resulting in subdued flavors and nutrition.

Still if in Vientiane, Nazim is pretty much the only choice. I used to stick to the dosas at Nazim's but I don't believe they offer them anymore.

Just don't go expecting anything that compares to the wide variety of Indian cuisines available in Bangkok.

Happy eating wherever you go :)

There are now numerous Indian restaurants in Vientiane. The best (IMO) can be found on the Mekhong road (sam saen Thai rd) I can't remember the name of it, but it is near the soi where the banks are situated. Walk along the road and when it starts getting quiet and the bank road is on the left, you have gone too far.

Nazims has been rapidly going downhill, although still popular with backpackers.

There is also a very good Indian fusion restaurant opposite Laos Plaza Hotel which is going through a refit, should be ready soon. This was excellent before the refit, heres the link. www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293950-d1168032-Reviews...

Happy hunting.

Edited by lovelaos

Yes have a few spread over town, but I would say Nazim serves good food jap.gif

I live in Vientiane, & haven't yet found a good Indian restaurant.

There is one on the riverside (just walk along, you'll see it) & another in the street that runs down to the river from the Fountain. Both are okay, but neither is great.

My Indian housemate agreed that there are no good Indian restaurants in town.

There is one on the riverside (just walk along, you'll see it) & another in the street that runs down to the river from the Fountain. Both are okay, but neither is great.

Maybe your house mate should consider starting one. Who knows, maybe you would end up starring in Lonely Planet and get rich. maybe not Just a thought.

Maybe your house mate should consider starting one. Who knows, maybe you would end up starring in Lonely Planet and get rich. maybe not Just a thought.

The places that end up in LP tend to always be mediocre.

I was in Vientianne a couple years ago and had pretty good Indian food at this place:

Tajmahal Restaurant

Sethathirath Road

It is behind the National Culture Hall

Agreed it used to be good but has gone downhill since.

One of the problems with running a decent Indian restaurant in Laos is that very few Indians patronize these restaurants. The clientele is essentially farangs. It's like expecting a Thai restaurant abroad to serve good Thai food when none of their customers are Thai. Same problem in Chiang Mai, you almost never see an Indian dining in any of the Indian restos in town. Bangkok has a sizeable Indian population, on the other hand, so it's not difficult to find places where they go and the food is good.

I remember a Taj Mahal in Vientiane that used to be on Pangkham Rd, and was very good. It closed down years ago. I wonder if the one near the Culture Hall is the same?

• 2 weeks later...

Of course. Ulysses has eaten at every Indian restaurant in Thailand :whistling:

In fact I doubht anyone has. I've eaten at a few in Bangkok's Little India and Nazim's in Vientiane doesn't come close in my opinion. The best Indian food I've had in either country has been in some of the places off Sukhumvit Rd, particularly on Soi 11 and Soi 20. I actually think that's where you find the best Indian in Bangkok, despite the fact there are two or three good spots in Phahurat - Little India - as well. But there's a strong Indian community along Sukhumvit these days, with more money to spend on good cuisine.

A new South Indian booth just opened last week on the east platform of Nana BTS, something like Arya Vegetarian. Excellent. Bangkok has so many Indian restaurants, many of them serving different regional cuisines from India. I doubt anyone, even an Indian resident, has eaten at them all. What I like most about Bangkok's Indian restaurants, most of them anyway, is that they use fresh spices sold in Phahurat, unlike the Indian restos in Laos, where the spices tend to be old, judging from the flavors.

In fact the Indian restos in Laos feature menus that are almost identical, always North Indian/Punjabi food, and the way tends towards long cooking times, heavily stewed or cooked, resulting in subdued flavors and nutrition.

Still if in Vientiane, Nazim is pretty much the only choice. I used to stick to the dosas at Nazim's but I don't believe they offer them anymore.

Just don't go expecting anything that compares to the wide variety of Indian cuisines available in Bangkok.

Happy eating wherever you go :)

Indian by Nature

near pattaya park.... it's a good one though...

been there only once.... quite expensive!!!!!