Urgent A Negative Blood Donors!

Chantal

Hi All

A very dear friend of ours is at The Chulalongkorn Hospital and is desperately needing A negative Blood from donors under the age of 55. Please contact Nurse Annie at 0815357860 to make arrangements. This needs to be done before 7:00pm tonight preferably. They need 3 liters....please help!

Wish I could help but my A- has aged a little to long. I did't know blood had an age rquirement. Hope she can find some young blood.

My blood is in phetchabun anyhow so it's probably a case of to old and to far away. Good luck.

Wish I could help but my A- has aged a little to long. I did't know blood had an age rquirement. Hope she can find some young blood.

My blood is in phetchabun anyhow so it's probably a case of to old and to far away. Good luck.

..mine too..apparently it is Thai Health Dept. regulation..age cut-off re risk for heart conditions..however if you have a Certificate of Good Health from a GP they will take the donation.

I though O type donors were universal. Shouldn't your friend be able to accept donations from O Negative Donors? Still a rare type but slightly more common than A Negative.

Either way I wish your friend the best..

Edited by Nisa

Hi chantal.............. I have tried to donate blood today for your friend after riding from the other side of samut prakan to silom............ Only to be told that because i lived in the UK between 1980 and 1996 I am unable to donate................ due to some Anthrax Epidemic that i have never heard of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tell your friend i tried................ but my blood not good enough.................. good luck

VM

Hi chantal.............. I have tried to donate blood today for your friend after riding from the other side of samut prakan to silom............ Only to be told that because i lived in the UK between 1980 and 1996 I am unable to donate................ due to some Anthrax Epidemic that i have never heard of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tell your friend i tried................ but my blood not good enough.................. good luck

VM

Crazy ... that probably eliminates all most UK expats. Add the age discrimination to eliminate others and if it is a UK issues then it probably applies to Americans too.

How sad because if I recall the last time I looked these rarer blood types up .. they are more common with Westerners (8 or 9%) than Thais who make up 1/2 to 1%

VM

Crazy ... that probably eliminates all most UK expats. Add the age discrimination to eliminate others and if it is a UK issues then it probably applies to Americans too.

How sad because if I recall the last time I looked these rarer blood types up .. they are more common with Westerners (8 or 9%) than Thais who make up 1/2 to 1%

I was able to donate blood this morning. It is true they do screen out anyone who was present in the UK from 1980-1996, so if you are from the UK there is probably not much point in going. No problem for Americans or other nationalities that didn't frequent the UK though. The problem isn't really Anthrax, but was instead due to the CJD scare in the UK during that period. Not sure why you were told that. Someone probably didn't know and just decided to make up a story.

I am O-, which except in extremely rare cases is perfectly compatible with A-. The rare incompatibilities are so obscure that in emergencies there is no prohibition on giving O- to an A- patient with no testing whatsoever, and in non emergency conditions a simple crossmatch will easily detect any problems. So hopefully I was able to help out. If not in this case, then maybe in a future case for someone else down the road.

The nurses at the Red Cross did tell me that all Rhesus negative blood types are in critically short supply, so if you have anything negative, you may wish to consider heading down there and donating.

VM

I encountered the same thing - but it's actually because of the variant CJD virus.

VM

I encountered the same thing - but it's actually because of the variant CJD virus.

I am in the same position as I lived in UK during that time but they did take my blood. I don't know if they used it though. Now that could be because I am B- (super rare) and the dying guys daughter was with me at the Red Cross, who knows. They keep asking me to go back but I have been reluctant as I don't want to be turned away or have them pour my blood down the sink. (This was a while ago, not for the patient above)

Edited by Gippy