Rubber Trees

had a look out the rubber land the other day, bare tree in the most part. sold last just after new year and then the tree were stopped being worked.

the trees stopped just as I was getting used to the money coming in (problem with workers, very late start) oh well, looks like the wife has got some people this time that really want to work, still buzzing about the land now..... long may it last! just gotta try and fill the mans order for big poo for the land......... demand for the poo has gone through the roof, not that im complaining. palm oil, sugar land and rubber tree people are all queuing, must have been a lot of palm planted in the last couple of years up here........

on them rice sacks, we sell them for 4.5 baht if bought In the thousands or 5 baht on the hundreds. those plastic ones sounds better to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been doing my books yesterday. We were 4,845 kgs up on the season, and 82,705 baht gross, down from the previous season. My books are showing me we made more money in season 2 from 12,584 kgs than we did this season (4) with 20,556 kgs.

• Like 1

Youre production should keep getting better each year mike. As your trees get bigger each year. We have only 45 rai. Couldnt survive without out long beans , bananas , chillis. Not to mention my wife who does a lot of the work. Although we dont make much money off any 1 of them , it all adds up .

• 2 weeks later...

Prices should be slightly higher noting that most farmers have stop tapping at this time of the year. How many weeks has everybody stop tapping for? I was planning on approximately 8 weeks myself, but I'll make a decisions based on how quickly the trees rejuvenate. Everybody else?

With the price of other natural resources (oil, gold, iron ore etc) looking like they won't bounce back anytime soon. I can't foresee rubber prices getting much higher than low 20s next season either.

As an Australian the only positive is that the exchange rate is working in my favour (25 baht for 1 dollar). Only good if you send money back home though.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

We've just got our new employees sorted for this season. A family of 3 from our local nearest village, father (local Or Bor Tor), mother and daughter. Adults are experienced tappers and come highly reccomended, daughter is a novice. A perfect scenario as it is easier and less complicated having 3 tappers from the same family tapping 3 plots (10+10+16) on the same 36 rai block of land. Still have my other two tapping the oldest 28 rai plot. The new lot were eager to join us from a plantation a kilometer away, crap boss with not as good trees. No brainer for all concerned. I'm chuffed 'cos the missus is not tapping anymore, and hopefully never has to again. We start 2 weeks early this year at the end of this month.

• Like 2

good luck for this coming season...

yesterday a fire ripped through our 30+ rai plot (9 years old) 90 persent of trees i think will be dead! gotta love it!!! the next plot (rubber) to us is damaged as well, but not as bad.

wife is in talks as i write, know the people who started fire and have witnesses, will not be holding my breath with regard to a sensible (money) outcome, if anything, this being thailand ect.. having said that will pursue it through the courts if needs be.

many other people affected, alot of problems coming for said family who started the fire.

anyone got a light.................

good luck for this coming season...

yesterday a fire ripped through our 30+ rai plot (9 years old) 90 persent of trees i think will be dead! gotta love it!!! the next plot (rubber) to us is damaged as well, but not as bad.

wife is in talks as i write, know the people who started fire and have witnesses, will not be holding my breath with regard to a sensible (money) outcome, if anything, this being thailand ect.. having said that will pursue it through the courts if needs be.

many other people affected, alot of problems coming for said family who started the fire.

anyone got a light.................

Some years ago a fire burnt about 100 trees of mine and on the neighbours plot much more. The neighbours cut down all effected trees, while I left the burnt ones just in place. After two years these trees had developed very well and produce very well as well. They look quite ugly, but the production is what counts.

Fatfather

no just the rice stubble, that spread ect... ended up going over 4 roads before it got to our plot.

over the past three years we have had three very close calls, only stopped the fire because the "fire truck" got there in time, not so this year.

when we planted the rubber there was no sugar around us. but now we are almost surrounded, the people cut it "fresh" because are worried about the heat and the pos of the fire getting out of hand.

when I got to the rubber land the fire was just on the outside of our land, people already trying to stop it. two minutes later it was half way across, driven my the freak wind that seems to come along with the fire. I just left them to it, far too hot to try and stop. was very surprised that all was not lost, lucky if we have 500 trees that were not touched. the rest....... don't look good. will give it a month or two before deciding what to do with the rest.

the other year our "gardener" had a burn up at our "nice" house (haven't slept their for years now) and heat damaged afew rubber trees that I had in the garden. trees were very nice ect.... all the bark came off and when we had high winds was only left with the trunk about three metre high. now the tree are in full leaf again, albeit a stumpy looking job, don't know if they produce rubber..... if I had been living in the house I would have cut them down for sure, so like fatfather said maybe wait and see. but from my bedroom widow I can see the rubber plantation and it don't look good.

had the police out yesterday taking photos and today are interviewing people ect..... even they said it was very bad........ of course the fire starter does not know anything about any fire.........

Every year I get in a panic about fire this time of year. We have one 12 rai plot that had some fire damage our first year and we got absolutely no compensation for it. there have been some close call since then but no real damage. Have a big problem with that plot as the village headman of the area is a real <deleted>. We lose every dispute with neighbors since we don't live in that village and because the whitey has enough money so no one should have to compensate him when they do stoooopid shit (like last year when they drive a too wide macro down the goat trail in front of our land breaking almost every fence post).

I said to the wife that if this had not happened this year it would have probably happen sometime soon. its almost impossible to tell or stop people "havin a burn up" and what with more sugar going in every year its just a time bomb......

other people have lost trees too, and some others are chasing for bits of money for this and that, the wife and the other rubber farmer are the main people in the race to see some kind of justice. lucky we are on very good terms with the headman (he his doing a lot of running about for us ect...) and the wife is very well known at the local amber and the district one too, they have been trying to get her to run for this or that post over the years. still I will not be holding my breath on this one, getting\earning money in this part of the world is very difficult........

still having some good rain at the mo, so it might be an end to the fires for this year. just gotta wait and see if the trees that are left are good\ have enough to tap. its a pain because we seem to have good tappers on the books now, and finding good workers over here is even worse then at home!