Where Can I Find Musicians In South Phuket?

saxonbailey

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site, but I've been living in Rawai for 8 months now.

i'm a 24 year old Female session vocalist, with 9 years of credible experience, from backing vocals, both live and recorded, from classical to rock, radio advertisements to orchestral. 6 Octave range, 4 in full voice, 2 in falsetto. Worked all over the UK, but got bored of the rat race and bought a one way ticket to paradise!!

I'd like to know if there are:

A.) Any known places to meet fellow musos

And

B.) If any fellow muso's are interested in working on an original project, think Brit pop/indie.....if you need a list of influences, thin The Smiths, Siouxie and the Banshees, Joan Jett, Joy Divison.... Manchester revolution kinda stuff, but with a contemporary twist. MP3's available on request, both original material and covers. I play very basic "song-writing guitar". Been on tour back in the UK with old bands, as support for "Envy and other sins" and the latest big thing, South African band- "What Now".

Looking for dedicated creative artists to produce something original and good.

For more details, please contact Sam, on 0899707963.

Cheers! x

The missus does exactly what you are looking to do. She works in Bangkok, but has previously travelled all around Thailand and S/E Asia with various bands/contracts to companies. Pay is fairly good on average 800bht pp per 45 set but depending on the night/joint its been up to 5000bht per set they play usually 6 nights a week 3 sets a night. You might struggle a bit because as far as i gather its a very close knit group of muscians that play (there is alot of them sure but everyone seems to know everyone else) once your through that boundary of initial contacts then your in. Good news is it looks like you have a broad range in taste of music because predominatley 'brittish' bands aren't really well known over here. E.g. My friend Al wanted me to give him some ideas for songs to sing, (they have a huge song list ranging from clasics like ac/dc, queen, metallica to new stuff like kings of leon, RHCP and jason maraz) but when i said queens of stone age he went blank, it seems they are more clued in on the billboard 100, rather than uk top 40. Anywho what im trying to say is sure farang will love the brit stuff, but it will be difficult to convince other thai band mates that this will be a good tune if they dont have a scooby what kinda of reaction it has.

As far as meeting people goes go to bars where they play music tip the band so you can sing a song of your choice and away you go.... afterwards chat with them, make friends etc..

When the missus needs more work she just phones round places that have live shows etc, so worth a shout there. Another place to corner musicians would be at practise rooms. I have been to a few in BKK but wouldnt know where to find them otherwise. So if you track one down that would be a good place to start.

you just need to decide where you want to stay. many farang travel and just play in bars as part of their gap year that i saw when i travelled round koh toa, phuket, phi phi etc and those backpacker places are more ayai napa than thailand anyways, the bars will be clued up to hiring people for short stints at a time. Even though all her life shes been paid cash in hand and ipso facto never paid tax, im not sure how well it would go down if you tried to get work without a permit. but i doubt anyone will check.

i've heard there is a jam on sunday night at a place called the orchid garden on a soi off sai yuan, see

i havn't been yet but plan to go next sunday

i play drums and a bit of guitar but i don't have a drum kit anymore.

maybe i'll see you at the orchid garden next sunday

i've heard there is a jam on sunday night at a place called the orchid garden on a soi off sai yuan, see

i havn't been yet but plan to go next sunday

i play drums and a bit of guitar but i don't have a drum kit anymore.

maybe i'll see you at the orchid garden next sunday

the orchid garden was closed again last sunday, i guess they are closed for low season maybe?

any other jams around the south of the island? preferably with a real drum kit set up

try the reggae bar & yoonique's near nai harn lagoon, also try 75 stang bar in kata/karon if you are looking for musicians. perhaps stop by the phuket art village on the way to nai harn beach--all of those artists plays instruments in some form. i would also recommend the rawai sea gypsy village...there's a new restaurant that has opened up there, and the owner is connected to the music & arts here in phuket.

try some of the places in phuket old town as there is live music most nights. also, head to rick n roll's music cafe in kata. that is all i can think of right now, but i will think of more--i go out and about to find live music as much as i can.

orchid gardens is never open. i've tried three different times in the last few weeks.