Best Barbecue Ribs In Chiang Mai

yesterday

Set out tonight for Happy Pizza but missed the turn, so said F%-it and went down to Coaches, 1st time for me and hey, just happens to be rib-night!

A rack of 7/ 6in. ribs with a beer set me back 290thb. Now, I'm not a 'conisuee' of fine American food,my wife is a chef and I'd rather eat Thai any day of the week,but for some ungodly reason I do get a craving for a lump of dough or beef in my belly.

The ribs were done right,retaining texture, but in my option buried in too much sauce destroying any possible balanced flavor with the meat. The fries were pre-salted which added even more twang to the sauce. Perhaps this is the standard way ribs are served State-side...mmm?.

I enjoyed the ribs inspite of having my tongue twisted with salty overtones. Next time I would order "half-sauce" / "no salt on fries".

The young American lady taking the order was very sweet and polite, with a missionary-type skin tone.

Location is.... lucky,with access from both sides of the road,overly nice setting to be served food in plastic containers from China town.... but eh, its Iowa in ChiangMai.... Pizza night is monday! jap.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Set out tonight for Happy Pizza but missed the turn, so said F%-it and went down to Coaches, 1st time for me and hey, just happens to be rib-night!

A rack of 7/ 6in. ribs with a beer set me back 290thb. Now, I'm not a 'conisuee' of fine American food,my wife is a chef and I'd rather eat Thai any day of the week,but for some ungodly reason I do get a craving for a lump of dough or beef in my belly.

The ribs were done right,retaining texture, but in my option buried in too much sauce destroying any possible balanced flavor with the meat. The fries were pre-salted which added even more twang to the sauce. Perhaps this is the standard way ribs are served State-side...mmm?.

I enjoyed the ribs inspite of having my tongue twisted with salty overtones. Next time I would order "half-sauce" / "no salt on fries".

The young American lady taking the order was very sweet and polite, with a missionary-type skin tone.

Location is.... lucky,with access from both sides of the road,overly nice setting to be served food in plastic containers from China town.... but eh, its Iowa in ChiangMai.... Pizza night is monday! jap.gif

Are you serious? There's an American lady working as a waitress in Chiang Mai, where standard waitress pay is about 20 baht/hour?

Pretty bizarre thread:

-- "Awesome" potato salad needs defining.

-- Italians (correctly) telling us how to cook American ribs.

-- American waitresses working for 67 cents an hour.

-- Pre-salted fries (usually salted by the previous customer who left them over on his/her plate. Ewww!)

"BBQ'd Ribs" should be slow cooked using indirect heat. The ribs are basted as they cook. The sauce is added at the end, if needed or required. Boiling is a common shortcut.

Are you serious? There's an American lady working as a waitress in Chiang Mai, where standard waitress pay is about 20 baht/hour?
-- Pre-salted fries (usually salted by the previous customer who left them over on his/her plate. Ewww!)
"BBQ'd Ribs" should be slow cooked using indirect heat. The ribs are basted as they cook. The sauce is added at the end, if needed or required. Boiling is a common shortcut.

Yes, a stark white sweetie took my order at the 'manual' customer order desk at the entrance. I went and took a seat upstairs and was half expecting to hear a bell for me to come and pick up my order .... but nooo, the stark white sweetie appeared smiling with the ribs layed out on china town's best plastic..... didn't see any local Thai help around.

Pre-salted fries.... left-over's...Ewww is right!!....didn't occur to me since it was early and was the only customer onsite..... they were warm.... I think...mmm

To be sure the ribs are "boiled" and then quickly grilled.... I don't expect a southern-style slow grill approach here.

For really great ribs I will do them at home,Thai-style marination and turned slowly over a bed of tamarind charcoal..... your home kitchen is the best kitchen,my wife always says. biggrin.gif

An inflammatory baiting and trollish post has been removed as have responses to that post. Any further attempt to lie about what other members have posted will earn a very lengthy suspension.

Just to explain your "stark white sweetie" (interesting choice of words). She is not working for 67cents/hour but is likely to be either the mother or daughter of the US family from World Club Land that own Coaches.

Yes, a stark white sweetie took my order at the 'manual' customer order desk at the entrance. I went and took a seat upstairs and was half expecting to hear a bell for me to come and pick up my order .... but nooo, the stark white sweetie appeared smiling with the ribs layed out on china town's best plastic..... didn't see any local Thai help around.

Pre-salted fries.... left-over's...Ewww is right!!....didn't occur to me since it was early and was the only customer onsite..... they were warm.... I think...mmm

To be sure the ribs are "boiled" and then quickly grilled.... I don't expect a southern-style slow grill approach here.

For really great ribs I will do them at home,Thai-style marination and turned slowly over a bed of tamarind charcoal..... your home kitchen is the best kitchen,my wife always says. biggrin.gif

The man,owner at coaches said his daughter runs the place most days,so that is the white girl everybody is so miffed about .He also explained his southern style, very slow grill cooking prep process,#1- rubbed with herbs marinade one day ,then slow cook next day so it is a two day process and produces great ribs!.The ribs are not blowed at all I am not sure how TV people jump to such baseless conclusions . The ribs are very good.

If Coaches would jaz up the plate with baked beans,coleslaw and fat cut, home made fries and/or potatoe salad similar to the Salsa kitchen,if that were done the plate would be great!

( which by the way Salsa has excellent tasty ribs too and not to forget the Dukes which are also o.k. ribs most times and with a big plate of sides quite a dinner ) ,

He also explained his southern style, very slow grill cooking prep process,#1- rubbed with herbs marinade one day ,then slow cook next day so it is a two day process and produces great ribs!.
If Coaches would jaz up the plate with baked beans,coleslaw and fat cut, home made fries and/or potatoe salad similar to the Salsa kitchen,if that were done the plate would be great!

Perhaps the ribs are then microwaved before serving,that may explain the pre-prep "boiled" effect I suspected... However it may be I still enjoyed the ribs.

I fully agree, if they added some (low-cost) value to their plating with some imaginative sides and round out the offering it would be a "happy" meal. I guess they are very new to the food service business.

American food is about "volume",the bigger the plate the bigger the grin biggrin.gif , 'taste' is a mere passing consideration as all attention is focused on the swift hand to mouth co-ordination of partaking lumps of indigestible and incompatible food combinations.

The Thai's I know are masters on the BBQ, but the style is different(as with most things) the emphasis is more on capturing the inherit flavorings of the meat balanced with a delicate marination and then slow-cooked over charcoal.

End result is more meat than sauce.

Not to compare apples and oranges as culture & cuisine is inseparable. wai.gif

Just back from 'Happy Pizza'- location; past Big C intersection on Hang Dong rd.(heading south) 1st. soi on left, after 7/11,just before turn around..... a nice hole in the wall,can't miss it.

Had med. Hawaii + beer = 200thb ,Very Italian,even the Thai's are speaking Italian. unsure.gif

Typical thin-crust pizza with very stingy topping,ham isn't that expensive! Won't bother with the cardboard & tomato paste next time but will try the pasta dishes that the Italian customers and Thai counterparts were feasting upon. Very hospitable owner.

Western food two nights back to back and I have reached my Farange-food craving quota for the month. Back to fresh food with natural flavor!!.... nuff said licklips.gif

Just to explain your "stark white sweetie" (interesting choice of words). She is not working for 67cents/hour but is likely to be either the mother or daughter of the US family from World Club Land that own Coaches.

There used to be a restaurant off of the Mae Jo Road (long gone) and there were 2 Russian women serving the Som Tam! :lol:

There used to be a restaurant off of the Mae Jo Road (long gone) and there were 2 Russian women serving the Som Tam! :lol:

But were they "missionaries"?

To put this in context:

from another thread;

I think they call those people "Missionaries", Sarah--western moo baan, western SUV, private western style school for the brats, and milk shakes and double cheeseburgers for everyone, and a 8000 THB grocery tab at RimPing.

Intrigued by the definition of a "Missionary"

-western moo baan, presume you mean farang-dominated like World Club (are there others?), or do you mean a more upscale one?

western SUV, this one has me baffled. Made by or driven by westerners? The vast majority of SUVs in Thailand, SE Asia, Asia are made in Thailand, SE Asia, Asia and are mainly driven by Thais, SE Asians, and Asians.

private western style school for the brats, looking through the international and private schools in CM I don't see many westerners (plenty of Thai, Korean and Japanese kids), and to be honest no one with any concern for their children's future and even a small amount of income would condemn them to Thai state education

milk shakes and double cheeseburgers for everyone, sounds like McGarbage and their ilk, and if you take a stroll through any of them I don't see many westerners.

8000 THB grocery tab at RimPing, the reward for hard work is the right to decide how and where you spend your money, and Rimping is predominantly non-western from my experience

In fact your definition of Missionary could describe millions of middle-class Thais in terms of their lifestyle and aspirations, and judging by the commentary on this forum, it could also describe many of the TV population.

Dear me, does it make all of them/us, "Missionaries"?

Edited by folium

Apologies if this is a stupid question...

But are BBQ Ribs popular with Thai people?

Recently in Pattaya, some of the street stalls have added underdone, but with a nice sauce, bbq ribs to their inventory. They were pretty bad.

Thanks!

TheWalkingMan

I find BBQ ribs in most traditional Thai markets, they are not western style but they can be quite good. Usually the BBQ lady sells BBQ chicken, sausage, ribs and ....

Just back from 'Happy Pizza'- location; past Big C intersection on Hang Dong rd.(heading south) 1st. soi on left, after 7/11,just before turn around..... a nice hole in the wall,can't miss it.

Had med. Hawaii + beer = 200thb ,Very Italian,even the Thai's are speaking Italian. unsure.gif

Typical thin-crust pizza with very stingy topping,ham isn't that expensive! Won't bother with the cardboard & tomato paste next time but will try the pasta dishes that the Italian customers and Thai counterparts were feasting upon. Very hospitable owner.

Western food two nights back to back and I have reached my Farange-food craving quota for the month. Back to fresh food with natural flavor!!.... nuff said licklips.gif

We must have just missed each other as I got there at 8 and you weren't there then!

I had a large Naopli pizza for 220 baht, (anchovies and black olives) Quite delicious... sat round with friends and the staff there chatting till 11pm before gently wending my way home ...

David

We must have just missed each other as I got there at 8 and you weren't there then!

I had a large Naopli pizza for 220 baht, (anchovies and black olives) Quite delicious... sat round with friends and the staff there chatting till 11pm before gently wending my way home ...

David

New York style crust w/ the spicy sause with sausage,green pepper,onions cooked crispy as he can get it ... @ the Pasta& Pizza is the best New york American style pizza in CM .blowing away all the others ! If you are looking for New York Style American for sure, then order New York style crust .....this pizza if you flew home to New York you would have tough time to find better, the secret is in the crust and this guy has it down. Must try happy pizza but need to ask ...what makes it happy?? special herbs? best pizza best ribs not far apart but out of town bit of a drive but not bad for such tasty treats!

Close miss.... if the Italian guy and his lady were still seating in front,then I must of just rode off - I just ate and had to run.

Nce to have found Happy Pizza, will bring the family back there soon - maybe see ya there! - Cheers

Yeh sorry guys, we go for thin Italian style, i don't try to compete, i've never been to NYC, but have been to Naples and Rome, that's where i get it from, oh by the way, i am an Australian who speaks many languages, come have a great home made pasta, i'm fully confident you'll love it, but don't ask for ketchup!!!! :lol: :lol:

Yeh sorry guys, we go for thin Italian style, i don't try to compete, i've never been to NYC, but have been to Naples and Rome, that's where i get it from, oh by the way, i am an Australian who speaks many languages, come have a great home made pasta, i'm fully confident you'll love it, but don't ask for ketchup!!!! :lol: :lol:

Certainly stick with what you know ,the common, regular thin crust. For to master,to make a true New York style crust is very tough and takes a true chef ,a master. Many have tried in Cm and all but one have failed .The guy at Pasta - Pizza has perfected the true ,rare, one of a kind New York style crust! What a taste,what a texture , like no other and certainly so different from the hundreds of the everybody ,anybody thin crust we find everywhere..

.The Pasta and Pizza has 3 or 4 crust types one of which is a "thin crust " which I have never tried.

He has no ribs so for that you need to drive over to Coaches nearby or venture to CM to the Salsa kitchen or the CM stand by the Dukes for in town good ribs.

Edited by yesterday

The Pasta and Pizza has 3 or 4 crust types one of which is a "thin crust " which I have never tried.

He has no ribs so for that you need to drive over to Coaches nearby

....where is P & P located?

on corner of canal road and samoung (sp) road hard to miss it. Remember New York style crust,spicy sause, sausage,green pepper ,onion cook it crispy as you can . If you enjoy those things on a pizza you will find this is the best in CM. I am not sure of anything else as far as toppings go there. . Used to do double cheese but it was too much cheese. Now we get the smaller pizza followed by a lasagna (sausage) @129.00 baht a deal!! he makes the lasagna to order ,the lasagna is not in a big pan frozen weeks old ,it is fresh and most times a treat .I have had the lasagna a dozen times sometimes he out does himself ,sometimes it is just good. The New york style pizza is the way in front leader ,that is what you go there for.

Edited by yesterday

Back from P&P ..... with a smile, yup, the pizza is very good,crust excellent, I had the single piece option since I wasn't prepared to sample an entire pizza myself, instead I watch 4 young Thais go to the wall with a large pizza and a side of chicken fingers....never seen Thai's eat so much! in fact there were several tables of Thai-people there. I also had the 129baht lasagna

which was a work of art, never seen lasagna plated that way and so creamy with big flavor - Excellent! The owner is full-on and friendly and has trained his staff very well. We shall return! licklips.gif

David

New York style crust w/ the spicy sause with sausage,green pepper,onions cooked crispy as he can get it ... @ the Pasta& Pizza is the best New york American style pizza in CM .blowing away all the others ! If you are looking for New York Style American for sure, then order New York style crust .....this pizza if you flew home to New York you would have tough time to find better, the secret is in the crust and this guy has it down. Must try happy pizza but need to ask ...what makes it happy?? special herbs? best pizza best ribs not far apart but out of town bit of a drive but not bad for such tasty treats!

Sorry if this has been answered before, but where is Pasta & Pizza?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Happy Pizza will be changing hands:

...Business owner Toni of Happy Pizza (Chiang Mai-Hod Road, Hang Dong) has been forced to put his pizza and pasta restaurant up for sale, "since the recent musicians arrests in Chiang Mai, I can no longer sing and play music in my own restaurant, this is the reason why I am selling," said Toni...

Source:

is there any place that serves proper Beef BBQ ribs (Yankee style)

Try Pickles restaurant near Rhajaphat University on Chiang Puak. They do great smoked BBQ beef and pork ribs at reasonable prices, and excellent corned beef sandwiches.

Call Gary on 0896370835

Pickles sounds interesting, but you can not just show up there. You pretty much have to call and make a reservation in advance for them to open the place and serve you.

It sounds more like a hobby than a business, but might be worth checking out as they have some unusual dishes.