Best Barbecue Ribs In Chiang Mai

yesterday

IMHO, the secret to excellent ribs is to make them falling off the bone, without being "mushy meat".

That is how the classic ribs were at Salsa Kitchen's old location, but I am not sure about the new one.

From what i have had, the mushy ones are usually par boiled and not cold smoked.

Some ribs I made, if look close you can see the smoke ring, this shows they have actually been in a smoker.

post-4090-0-90004800-1307110581_thumb.jp

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from 'Happy Pizza'- location; past Big C intersection on Hang Dong rd.(heading south) 1st. soi on left, after 7/11,just before turn around..... a nice hole in the wall,can't miss it.

Had med. Hawaii + beer = 200thb ,Very Italian,even the Thai's are speaking Italian. unsure.gif

Typical thin-crust pizza with very stingy topping,ham isn't that expensive! Won't bother with the cardboard & tomato paste next time but will try the pasta dishes that the Italian customers and Thai counterparts were feasting upon. Very hospitable owner.

Western food two nights back to back and I have reached my Farange-food craving quota for the month. Back to fresh food with natural flavor!!.... nuff said licklips.gif

We must have just missed each other as I got there at 8 and you weren't there then!

I had a large Naopli pizza for 220 baht, (anchovies and black olives) Quite delicious... sat round with friends and the staff there chatting till 11pm before gently wending my way home ...

David

New York style crust w/ the spicy sause with sausage,green pepper,onions cooked crispy as he can get it ... @ the Pasta& Pizza is the best New york American style pizza in CM .blowing away all the others ! If you are looking for New York Style American for sure, then order New York style crust .....this pizza if you flew home to New York you would have tough time to find better, the secret is in the crust and this guy has it down. Must try happy pizza but need to ask ...what makes it happy?? special herbs? best pizza best ribs not far apart but out of town bit of a drive but not bad for such tasty treats!

Sorry if this has been answered before, but where is Pasta & Pizza?

You are on another thread saying you ate there a year ago and you hated it?? yet here you do not know where it is? well maybe like so many of us this lapse is a age related thing. ....Myself and several others who have actually eaten there recently beg to differ with your opinion !! pasta and Pizza shows ribs but looking at them....well go down the street to Coaches for the best slow cooked falling of the bone fresh ribs in town. Go to Pasta and pizza which is a pizza place order pizza or lasagna skip all the other stuff you would be doing yourself a favor since it is the best New York style pizza in CM. So...eat the best ,skip the rest!!

Edited by yesterday

...The Pasta and Pizza...has no ribs...

Perhaps it has. This looks like ribs to me:

post-88861-0-38243900-1306685610_thumb.g

Source:

, at 1:55

We have now eaten at Coaches rib house 3 times and all three times left happy ,the ribs are not a fluke ,the are very good. looking at the Pasta and Pizza photo of their ribs sells coaches ribs for them!! pasta and pizza photo looks like what you buy on the side of the street which is fine for tough, grilled cooked in 1 hour ribs. Coaches ribs: rubs seasoning into them marinades for a full day then day two slow cooks them for a full day .This is what ,how the owner discribe his process. We had a pizza too at coaches which we enjoyed but just down the street is Pasta and Pizza .... now if somehow the two were in one....

Edited by yesterday

Source:

We have now eaten at Coaches rib house 3 times and all three times left happy ,the ribs are not a fluke ,the are very good. looking at the Pasta and Pizza photo of their ribs sells coaches ribs for them!! pasta and pizza photo looks like what you buy on the side of the street which is fine for tough, grilled cooked in 1 hour ribs. Coaches ribs: rubs seasoning into them marinades for a full day then day two slow cooks them for a full day .This is what ,how the owner discribe his process. We had a pizza too at coaches which we enjoyed but just down the street is Pasta and Pizza .... now if somehow the two were in one....

You are really beginning to sound like an advertisement.... :unsure:

New York style crust w/ the spicy sause with sausage,green pepper,onions cooked crispy as he can get it ... @ the Pasta& Pizza is the best New york American style pizza in CM .blowing away all the others ! If you are looking for New York Style American for sure, then order New York style crust .....this pizza if you flew home to New York you would have tough time to find better, the secret is in the crust and this guy has it down. Must try happy pizza but need to ask ...what makes it happy?? special herbs? best pizza best ribs not far apart but out of town bit of a drive but not bad for such tasty treats!

Sorry if this has been answered before, but where is Pasta & Pizza?

You are on another thread saying you ate there a year ago and you hated it?? yet here you do not know where it is? well maybe like so many of us this lapse is a age related thing. ....Myself and several others who have actually eaten there recently beg to differ with your opinion !! pasta and Pizza shows ribs but looking at them....well go down the street to Coaches for the best slow cooked falling of the bone fresh ribs in town. Go to Pasta and pizza which is a pizza place order pizza or lasagna skip all the other stuff you would be doing yourself a favor since it is the best New York style pizza in CM. So...eat the best ,skip the rest!!

I had not remembered it by name, but when I saw the map I remembered the location. It really was horrible. Perhaps it has improved. Clearly it could not have become any worse. Regarding your age comment, that has been true for quite some time. Unfortunately not all memories easily fade - i.e. my experience at Pasta & Pizza.

Source:

You are really beginning to sound like an advertisement.... :unsure:

I do hope that you are not suggesting that Yesterday and Coaches restaurant are in anway connected; American, lives nearby, kids at Grace etc?

Who knows or cares?

The one experience I had a Coaches was very disappointing and included earlier in this interminable thread, and despite early enthusiasm for the food at Pizza & Pasta at its previous location, the service and attitude of the management makes me reluctant to go there again. Except....

Returning from Hang Dong the other day, late for an appointment and with my wife on a quick errand next door, I popped into Pizza & Pasta in the hope of buying a slice. This is exactly how it went:

Me: "Hi, do you have a slice of any variety?"

Owner (glancing up from his computer): "Friday, Saturday, Sunday." (looks back at computer).

Unbelievable.

Who knows or cares?

The one experience I had a Coaches was very disappointing and included earlier in this interminable thread, and despite early enthusiasm for the food at Pizza & Pasta at its previous location, the service and attitude of the management makes me reluctant to go there again. Except....

Returning from Hang Dong the other day, late for an appointment and with my wife on a quick errand next door, I popped into Pizza & Pasta in the hope of buying a slice. This is exactly how it went:

Owner (glancing up from his computer): "Friday, Saturday, Sunday." (looks back at computer).

Unbelievable.

Maybe not so unbelievable.

Swung by Pizza n Pasta last Friday at about 8pm to be told that they were closed, "come back tomorrow", even though 3 people were there sorting ingredients. Weird way to run a business especially on a Friday night.

Edited by folium

Who knows or cares?

Unbelievable.

Swung by Pizza n Pasta last Friday at about 8pm to be told that they were closed, "come back tomorrow", even though 3 people were there sorting ingredients. Weird way to run a business especially on a Friday night.

I'm getting more and more convinced that Pizza & Pasta is not actually a restaurant. Always empty, there is absolutely no way that this place is making money selling food.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Let's compare to a restaurant known for its ribs, for instance, how do they compare to the Salsa Kitchen's falling-off-the-bone original ribs? They are by far the best that I ever experienced in Thailand, however that said, I have never tried Coaches, but certainly will after the OP's recommendation.

Funny you mention.... we talked about Salsa kitchen ribs too. The Coach ribs as i put in the header are the best now in CM for us, although i like the potato salad that comes with the salsa ribs. Salsa are very good too.But for us we liked the barbacue sause much better at Coaches and the ribs were fallen off the bone, really falling off the bone .

You know it is a great feeling when you go to a little place to eat for the first time and you are surprised in a good way..

FWIW, a friend of mine couldn't stop raving about the Coach's pizza. He said it was "just like American pizza." Granted, that's a bit ambiguous, but he does have pretty good sensibilities when it comes to pizza and his sheer enthusiasm definitely raises my interest.

[

Unbelievable.

[/quot

I'm getting more and more convinced that Pizza & Pasta is not actually a restaurant. Always empty, there is absolutely no way that this place is making money selling food.

You guys are in need.... of what not sure but ... one asked and was told when pizza by the slice was on," Fri. Sat.,Sun ",you asked a question you received an answer, what else do you need ?A little jig or something? The man answered your question . Then the kwai , the cake taker.... comes on blast the place for no reason other than to hear the click ,lickity click of his keys ... compulsive poster . The place is very much open and great ,The taste beats out these places that advertise everywhere too. . Last sat. we were there pizza by the slice went at 5:30 there till 7:30pm great but pouring rain as hard as it comes down so had to sit a while.

Yet someone says they came in at 8pm and the was closed? Very strange story since the place had 3 other tabels going on strong when we left..

The food is killer (in a tasty way) and some of the best in CM for New York style italian.

I honeslty can not comment on the place over a year ago in a different location ,could care less . Never looked at TV back then so was not hip. Kwai less or not this place kicks butt for both pizza and lasagna !! A true taste sensation !!

Hit the place again this week as we pasted by on canel road. Now a beautiful , new expanded menu with so many choices , WOW!! some of the best taste in CM ,a true treat!! , But for U.S. southern stye fallen off the bone ribs then it is the Coaches down over a street ..

Edited by yesterday

Yesterday

If you could read as well as you gush, you might have noticed that I found P+P closed on a Friday evening, while you were there on Saturday.

Edited by sbk
flame removed

flames edited and deleted. For heavens sake people, its just a topic about ribs! calm down and keep it civil.

Thanks, sbk. I'm glad, but surprised, they let you in the kitchen to put out the flames. Good ribs need to be slow cooked. If there's a flame, they'll cook too fast and won't have the proper taste or texture. You're also correct that people should calm down. You can't rush good ribs.

This thread certainly has some legs and lots of passion! Seems like folk take their food pretty seriously.

FWIW went to Pizza & Pasta recently and was most impressed by their pizza, definitely a notch above the usual tinned tomatoes and stodge offered in most places. Looks like ribs are now off the menu but no great loss, give me Memphis or Kansas City any day.

To chuck in my penny's worth for Italian food options this side of town my vote would be for P&P for pizza, and Happy Pizza or the new Francesca's for great pasta.

After all that has been said about P&P, decided we should give it a go tonight. Booked earlier in the day by phone and asked if it was ok to bring our own wine as we had some left over from a New Zealand trip. No problem and we will let you use our glasses said they, and they were good to their word on that score.

I had the Lasagne with Egg Plant and my pal had the Ravioli and the girls had a 14in Pizza between them. We had a big plate of extra Garlic Bread between us.

Firstly the price; well it was cheap for what we had and you can't argue with the menu prices at all in my opinion. Chang for 40 Baht a bottle is cheap for any eating place so nowt wrong with booze prices either.

As for the quality and service...the Lasagne and Ravioli were top notch but the Pizza, which arrived almost 20 minutes after the other two, was not worth the wait. I've seen and tasted better in far more down market cafe's so that was hard on the girls who had been built up to believe they were going to get a very special Pizza. Guv busy talking to others so will go back and talk about things another day and just not order Pizza ! Service no problem except for the long wait for the Pizza. I've lost count of the times half of the order has been delivered up to half an hour before the other half in Thailand restaurants. Don't they know how to keep things hot until the rest is ready?, or do they think that half of us want to finish before the other half start? Thai minds !

All in all; we will return but only now and again. After Mr Chans and a good few other places it's quite a way down the list of yummy places to visit.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the Salsa Kitchen after perusing the collective wisdom of TV (hmmm) at behest of pregnant wife - and gotta add that the ribs were bloody awesome. The Hickory ones were scrubbed out of the menu :( but the other ones classic style i think - where ordered and consume - and some how - not quite sure - both fitted in a home made ice cream with mixed berry sauce! Went out with clear orders for RIBBSS!!!!! so choice was easy - which is lucky cos one look at theenu and I reckon 10 minutes would have been taken up in chosing!!! Want to go back abd work my way through the menu!!!

Went to the Salsa Kitchen after perusing the collective wisdom of TV (hmmm) at behest of pregnant wife - and gotta add that the ribs were bloody awesome. The Hickory ones were scrubbed out of the menu :( but the other ones classic style i think - where ordered and consume - and some how - not quite sure - both fitted in a home made ice cream with mixed berry sauce! Went out with clear orders for RIBBSS!!!!! so choice was easy - which is lucky cos one look at theenu and I reckon 10 minutes would have been taken up in chosing!!! Want to go back abd work my way through the menu!!!

Only ribs were nice?, what else can you recommend?