'Khmer Cambodian Troop Withdrawal' Not Included : Source

webfact

PEACE DEAL

'Khmer Cambodian troop withdrawal' not included : source

By Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation

Thailand not breaching TOR, but stands by its stance, says Kasit

The withdrawal of Cambodian troops from Preah Vihear Temple and its vicinity - a condition that Thailand has set before it accepts Indonesia's team of observers to be stationed in the disputed area - was not mentioned in the Jakarta-brokered peace package, a diplomatic source said.

The three-step package agreed upon by the Cambodian, Indonesian and Thai foreign ministers on Monday only set a timeline for the deployment of the team of observers and the meetings of Joint Boundary Commission (JBC) and General Border Committee (GBC), the minutes of the meeting showed.

In a Twitter message yesterday, Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya explained that the basic principle of the deal was still that Cambodian troops need to be withdrawn from Preah Vihear, Wat Keo Sikha Kiri Svara and adjoining areas before Indonesian observers will be allowed in the area.

"Thailand has never breached the terms of reference for the team of observers are we are being accused of," he said.

The new peace package, a copy of which was obtained by The Nation, comprises three steps for the deployment of Indonesian observers to areas near Preah Vihear where military clashes broke out in February. They are:

Step 1

lExchanging formal letters on the terms of reference for the observers;

lAnnouncing the GBC/JBC meeting.

Step 2 (five days after Step 1 is implemented)

lDispatching an initial survey team;

lHolding a meeting of the GBC/JBC.

Step 3 (ten days after Step 1)

lFully assigning the team of observers;

lFollowing up on the results of the GBC/JBC meeting.

Kasit said he would submit the peace package to the Cabinet next week, and it might want to adjust some details.

Though Thailand and Cambodia have already agreed upon the text of the terms of reference, Thailand will only send its formal acceptance to Jakarta if Cambodia agrees to withdraw its troops from Preah Vihear and its vicinity. Phnom Penh has rejected the condition and things are at a deadlock.

Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa called a tripartite meeting with Kasit and his Cambodian counterpart Hor Namhong on the sidelines of the Asean summit in Jakarta on Monday. The meeting came up with a package that stops both sides from setting conditions before any steps can be taken.

A Thai official anticipates that the condition of Cambodia's troop withdrawal, even though it is not mentioned in the package, would be discussed during the GBC meeting, which is co-chaired by the defence ministers of Thailand and Cambodia, or by the JBC, which takes care of boundary demarcation.

Indeed, the withdrawal or repositioning of troops in the disputed area near the Preah Vihear temple is one of the major topics to be discussed by the JBC in relation to the boundary demarcation.

The last JBC meeting was held in Bogor, Indonesia, in the first week of April but no significant progress was made. Clashes broke out later in April near Ta Mouan Thom and Ta Kwai temple in Surin about 150km west of Preah Vihear.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-12

When will Thailand quit these playground games and act like real diplomats and adults. An Agreement has been made live up to it. Credibility for the country is lost daily with antics like these.Other countries lose faith seeing this happen. Who in their right mind will deal with someone or a country that never lives up to a written deal. Who will risk with people or a country like that. What is going on is very damaging to Thailand in many ways.What business man will deal with a country that willnot keep an agreement after it is signed. What ever Thailand is trying to achieve here is costing them a lot more than its worth . I feel sorry for the Thai people that the government can be so narrow minded as to keep acting in this way.

It is true no one can make them live up to the agreement but others can simply quit associating and stop all further dealings for fear of lack of trust. They may get what they want now but at a very high cost in the future. Other countries , companies and business men donot want their time spent in courts to make a country live up to agreements. In my humble opinion more face is being lost than saved.

'lovelomsak' timestamp='1305157749' post='4417567']

When will Thailand quit these playground games and act like real diplomats and adults. An Agreement has been made live up to it. Credibility for the country is lost daily with antics like these.Other countries lose faith seeing this happen. Who in their right mind will deal with someone or a country that never lives up to a written deal. Who will risk with people or a country like that. What is going on is very damaging to Thailand in many ways.What business man will deal with a country that willnot keep an agreement after it is signed. What ever Thailand is trying to achieve here is costing them a lot more than its worth . I feel sorry for the Thai people that the government can be so narrow minded as to keep acting in this way.

It is true no one can make them live up to the agreement but others can simply quit associating and stop all further dealings for fear of lack of trust. They may get what they want now but at a very high cost in the future. Other countries , companies and business men donot want their time spent in courts to make a country live up to agreements. In my humble opinion more face is being lost than saved.

I feel this decision has more to do with military ' FACE ' than Ahbisit , they want to say " See , we drove those no good Khymer back from the front line , we are so strong and powerful , we are the defenders of the realm " . The true fact is that Thailand signed an agreement with Asean which was accepted in all good faith by all parties , now they wish to change the parameters , they will soon gain the nick-name of " back stabbers " which in fact is what they are in this instance , what say you Bucko ?

99% of the Thai population is wise and do not mind about this issue.

From the 1% who want to make troubles with Cambodia, some are just childish as the 2 previous posts mention and have a "losing face" problem but I'm afraid that some people, a few hundreds in PAD, army and some in high position, still expect to take back a little bit of land from Cambodia, one temple or two and possibly Preah Vihar if any opportunity.

I have a story to tell. I help foreign prisoners in Thailand. One of the inmates I support, Cambodian national, drug case, goes to the court. First question of the official trial from the judge (it's also the first question from the prosecutor)"To whom does Preah Vihar belong?".

Some people are still obsessed by this temple, they still regret it. Colonial powers need to accept the loss of land. England, Belgium, France, etc does, why Thailand / Siam does not?

This is what happens when the military rules the country, no?

No. This is as much a part of Thai culture as mangoes, rice, cobras and elephants. As anyone who has ever had a contract with a Thai agency knows, they will honor it just so long as it suits them. Fortunately the courts love contracts and do adhere to them when resolving a conflict. I am about to file my second breach of contract suit. I won last time and I was not in so strong a position as now.

This is what happens when the military rules the country, no?

No. This is as much a part of Thai culture as mangoes, rice, cobras and elephants. As anyone who has ever had a contract with a Thai agency knows, they will honor it just so long as it suits them. Fortunately the courts love contracts and do adhere to them when resolving a conflict. I am about to file my second breach of contract suit. I won last time and I was not in so strong a position as now.

Just curious if you are a small business man or big business and how long were you tied up in courts before the first case was settled.These are just questins of curiousity so I better understand what can and does happen.Also well things are in court does everything pretaining to the contract sit idle waiting for a decision. If so then the old saying" time is money" means court time was costing you money.

This is called Disputed Land. Why should either side occupy the land prior to the dispute being settled. Thailand is right to ask the Cambodians to withdraw.

They should issue a reasonable timeframe for withdrawal, say 48 to 72 hours, and if this is not complied with, then they should decimate the entire 4.6 square kilometers, making it unusable.

Why should one side of the dispute be permitted to occupy and build on the disputed land before an agreement has been reached?

Makes no sense.It's is just as bad as the Israelis building settlements on Palestinian land. How many people on this board support that?

This is called Disputed Land. Why should either side occupy the land prior to the dispute being settled. Thailand is right to ask the Cambodians to withdraw.

They should issue a reasonable timeframe for withdrawal, say 48 to 72 hours, and if this is not complied with, then they should decimate the entire 4.6 square kilometers, making it unusable.

Why should one side of the dispute be permitted to occupy and build on the disputed land before an agreement has been reached?

Makes no sense.It's is just as bad as the Israelis building settlements on Palestinian land. How many people on this board support that?

You are right it is called disputed land. Thailand is the one disputing ownership that is the problem. Cambodia and the rest of the world see it as Cambodia. Until Thailand can prove otherwise it is Cambodia soil. If your neighbour saw you sitting in your backyard and told you to get out he was the owner would you just get out or would you protest? If the police came do you think they would make you leave? Ot would they consider your neighbour committing a nuisance crime?

You are so Right about this Matter?? The Cambodia does more damage to claim the culture, temple, dancing that similar to The Thai. These were originated from Cambodia but the Thai copied their stuffs. Recently the Cambodia did file her claim to UNESSCO, and more to come in the future. I hope many people understand this issue...I remembered when I was 8 years old, all my friends were marching on the Streets after the World Court gave the temple to the Cambodia and allowing the Thai to access the other site by helicopter. Many Thai people were crying. Sad and you are right about building settlements on Palestine Land same as Cambodians occupy the 4.6 squares kilometers. The Thai has her Right and this show never be over. let's watch and see. I am so amazed how the Cambodians never stop making more trouble. Why don't they do good thing to heel the country and people. By the way, some gangsters, Cambodian born in America had to ship back to Cambodians because the parents did not know how to be parents and do more for their children...I am standing tall for my opinion.

Edited by ryladie99

'ryladie99' timestamp='1305189685' post='4418850']

NoBrainer' timestamp='1305182907' post='4418598']

You are so Right about this Matter?? The Cambodia does more damage to claim the culture, temple, dancing that similar to The Thai. These were originated from Cambodia but the Thai copied their stuffs. Recently the Cambodia did file her claim to UNESSCO, and more to come in the future. I hope many people understand this issue...I remembered when I was 8 years old, all my friends were marching on the Streets after the World Court gave the temple to the Cambodia and allowing the Thai to access the other site by helicopter. Many Thai people were crying. Sad and you are right about building settlements on Palestine Land same as Cambodians occupy the 4.6 squares kilometers. The Thai has her Right and this show never be over. let's watch and see. I am so amazed how the Cambodians never stop making more trouble. Why don't they do good thing to heel the country and people. By the way, some gangsters, Cambodian born in America had to ship back to Cambodians because the parents did not know how to be parents and do more for their children...I am standing tall for my opinion.

What a twitter and bisted post , admits theft of culture etc , education showing its end result I fear .