Mountain Biking In Chiang Mai

DaamNaam

Hi there.

Anyone interested in MTB in Chiang Mai, or you need a riding buddy, let me know here (via PM i guess). Been doing the Doi Pui summit at least once a week, but she's a bit slippery after the rains, won't take long to dry out though. Even on road / 4 wd track cruising is cool.

Regards.

3-5 hours riding is cool (as long as it's not uphill, then 10 mins is enough ,lol) . Single track would be great, 4 WD track good too, even some cool back roads can be great. Doi Pui / Suthep summit. Ask songtaew driver to take you to "Sar Ku ruins". Then follow the bitumen path till it turns to dirt / mud, then it gets tricky, and fun. Great coffee shop up near the summit, best coffee on earth, it's part of the CMU and they sell bags of the stuff too, at bargain rates. I love this route, but it's a bit slippery at the moment, came of at least 5 times last trip.

Would post a copy of the Doi Pui / Suthep summit map but I'm stumped if i can work out how to post an image, all i see is image links from URL's.

Ok, sorry, worked it out, just don't choose "fast reply"...

Moving right along....

post-87375-0-90820500-1305211263_thumb.j

There's a non-stop stream of cyclist on mountain bikes going up that there Doi Suthep every morning, mostly Thais, but also a sprinkling of foreigners too. A lot are familiar faces now and can be seen peddling most days.

From racing bikes, to state of the art mountain bikes, shopping bikes (the ones with the tiny wheels), and everything in-between, I've seen it all now.

Those riding up the hill range from the overweight, undernourished, old young, both genders, and of course the super-fit brigade with that 'Do my <deleted> look big in these cycling shorts' look on their face! :lol:

Strange thing is, sometimes they seem to be peddling at a fair ole pace, yet I occasionally still manage to walk past them! Go figure!!!

Aitch

I'm pretty sure that map is the best ever! Did you make it?? I'm wanting to check out that ride, not sure I'm fit for it though...how rough is it?

Nah it's not mine. A Thai bloke wrote it a few years ago. Don't have to be super fit. Just need good brakes. If it all gets too much just get off and walk the tough sections.

I'm pretty sure that map is the best ever! Did you make it?? I'm wanting to check out that ride, not sure I'm fit for it though...how rough is it?

Nah it's not mine. A Thai bloke wrote it a few years ago. Don't have to be super fit. Just need good brakes. If it all gets too much just get off and walk the tough sections.

Sounds fun... I assume you can have a Sawgtow take you from the Zoo up to the Summit?... Where do they put your bike & how much does it cost usually?

Sounds fun... I assume you can have a Sawgtow take you from the Zoo up to the Summit?... Where do they put your bike & how much does it cost usually?

Yes that's correct. I usually park my car at the fitness park next to the zoo. The songtaew drivers know only too well where the MTB folk go. It's 400 baht per trip. The seats fold down inside and you can get 4 big mountain bikes inside, plus 3 people and one in the front.

The drivers have even said if we had more people still 400, we could use the roof racks as well, bit short on space for extra humans though.

I met a young bloke from the Uk at the summit last week, he said he shared the songtaew with other passengers and he only paid 180.

With my car parked near the zoo i have to ride back on the roads from Huay Tung Tao lake, it's a breeze after the downhill.

A few cold beers and Thai snacks at the end of that hill go down real well too...

Hi DaamNaam, sounds good! I'm not sure if you talking about riding down your way, I would be up for that, only problem at the moment, I've no Transport and I live in Mae Taeng. So if you or anyone else wants to try somewhere else, Mae Taeng has some great trails……and hills! If not I'll be intouch, when I get a bike mover!

Edited by Tonto21