Digital Voice Recorder

DurianAddict

I am interested in getting a digital voice recorder for doing interviews for my master's thesis, but I can't seem to find a place that sells them. I had a look around the vicinity of wararot market today but still no luck. Anyone know where to find one, how much it might cost, and what it might be called in Thai?

Nearly all of the point-and-shoot cameras made in the last 3-5 years offer a sound recorder function (as do many mobile phones). I have been using my little Casio pocket camera to record our monthly meetings for three years now. Works very good in a 10 x 6 meter room with 25-30 people in attendance. My camera creates a 30-35 mb *.wav file from a two hour meeting. My (cheap and old) Nokia mobile phone records reasonably well too but shuts off at 60 minutes and needs to be restarted. Also check the little media players sold in the electronics stores. Many of those models offer a record function as well.

Edited by Rice_King

Bought one in IT city Airport plaza a few months ago, they had several models available.

Just saw them there yesterday. Several available; Sony, Samsung, etc...

Great, IT City certainly sounds like the place then. Did anyone see the prices? ChiangMaiKid, how much did yours cost? I only have about 1500 baht with me at the moment, so if they are more expensive, I will buy one when I come back into Chiang Mai again on Monday with a bit more money. And Rice_King, thanks for the tip about using the camera. I think I will use that temporarily to do my interviews until I get a proper recorder.

Bought one in IT city Airport plaza a few months ago, they had several models available.

Just saw them there yesterday. Several available; Sony, Samsung, etc...

Great, IT City certainly sounds like the place then. Did anyone see the prices? ChiangMaiKid, how much did yours cost? I only have about 1500 baht with me at the moment, so if they are more expensive, I will buy one when I come back into Chiang Mai again on Monday with a bit more money. And Rice_King, thanks for the tip about using the camera. I think I will use that temporarily to do my interviews until I get a proper recorder.

I think about 2.5 - 4k, check out their website. I bought an Olympus with enough memory to record a reading of war and peace but to get one with a USB to connect direct to a computer I think was 3.5k

I think about 2.5 - 4k, check out their website. I bought an Olympus with enough memory to record a reading of war and peace but to get one with a USB to connect direct to a computer I think was 3.5k

It might be something for the OP to consider. I have an Olympus Digital Recorder as well, maybe the same as yours. Mine is the VN-5200PC, 512MB of memory, and includes a USB cable to transfer the recordings to the computer. You're right that it has a long recording time. I've never saved anything to the computer yet so I'm not sure how long it takes to upload. There are 5 folders available. You can save up to around 200 files. I like it because I can easily put it in my shirt pocket when I'm on the go. As a musician, I use it as a memo to record new tunes that come to mind when I'm out and about and don't have to worry about forgetting it later.

Recording Mode Times:

HQ Mode allows about 35 hours 20 minutes. Faster speed. Best sound quality.

SP Mode allows about 69 hours 35 minutes. Slower speed. Sounds okay.

LP Mode allows about 221 hours 30 minutes. Slowest speed. Fine for long voice lectures or notes.

The Instructions say AA alkaline batteries will last about 37 hours before needing to replace them.

There's also the VN-3200PC model which is cheaper. It has 128MB of memory, but is still a lot of room for audio recording.