Airport Rail Link To Reduce Fares To Suvarnabhumi To 90 Baht

george

Airport Rail Link to Reduce Fares to Suvarnabhumi to 90 Baht

BANGKOK: -- In order to boost the number of passengers on the Express Line of the Airport Rail Link, Mr. Pakorn, the Acting Director General of the SRT Metro Co., Ltd. announced today that there will be a special promotion starting from 1st June 2011.

A ticket on the Phayathai to Suvarnabhumi Airport Express Line is being reduced to 90 Baht from 150 Baht. In addition, a return ticket is being reduced to 150 Baht from 300 baht. Return tickets are valued for 14 days after the date of the first trip.

The special promotion lasts from 1st June to 31 December 2011.

Source: ryt9.com via Richard Barrow

The OP needs clarification.

The PhayaThai - Suvarnabhumi link is the "City Link" which has various stops and seems well frequented. As far as I know the "Express Link" starts at Makkasan and is not really popular ?

Edited by rubl

The OP needs clarification.

The PhayaThai - Suvarnabhumi link is the "City Link" which has various stops and seems well frequented. As far as I know the "Express Link" starts at Makkasan and is not really popular ?

It was announced, and posted on this forum, earlier in the week that there were plans to start, at least some of, the Express Service trains from Phaya Thai.

A special promotion isn't gonna cut it. The SRT needs to reduce the fare on the Express Line, which currently costs 3+ times more than the City Line, permanently if they hope to attract riders.

If they had some brains they would have figured this out from the start . Phaya Thai is the most poular destination because of the BTS.

Edited by balo

If they had some brains they would have figured this out from the start . Phaya Thai is the most poular destination because of the BTS.

I second that one, Makkasan is not central at all its in the middle of know where, and its a long walk to Petchburi station.

But they are not going to change because they have built the checkin terminals etc etc, there was prob a bribe made to put it there or cheaper access to space, it wouldn't surprise me. Generally the Thai people need a degree to just be the same standard as high school in the west. Banana Republic!

Edited by colinthailand20005

I second that one, Makkasan is not central at all its in the middle of know where, and its a long walk to Petchburi station.

But they are not going to change because they have built the checkin terminals etc etc, there was prob a bribe made to put it there or cheaper access to space, it wouldn't surprise me. Generally the Thai people need a degree to just be the same standard as high school in the west. Banana Republic!

Any suggestion for where else they would put it?

Any suggestion for where else they would put it?

Start the express at Phaya Thai, simple as that & move the check in terminals if they have to, there is not going to be much use for them anyway.

The idea that the "express" would be at a station completely disconnected from any other rail alternatives is absurd. Granted, they obviously have future plans to develop the area and what not (I've done both Phaya Thai and Makkasan several times), but the SRT is in existence right now and there is no obvious construction being undertaken to make the Makkasan-MRT connection in any way convenient, so when I pass Phaya Thai BTS on a regular basis I see tons of people with roll-off luggage. When I go to Makkasan, it's a ghost town. I talked with the taxi guys and they even kinda chuckle about it. Traffic in that area is horrendous any time of day, there's no direct connection to another rail service and the area looks like a demilitarized zone for the moment. As much as I really think Bangkok and Thailand are doing a great job building out tons of rail and public transit, the total lack of coordination and oddball fiefdom politics that always interfered with efficiency are a bit annoying. The lack of a sensible city express depot for the SRT, completed BTS line to Wong Wian Yai sitting unused for years waiting on signaling system contracts, completed line to Bearing sitting unused for years because the head man doesn't want to sign off on procurement and so on. On balance it's easily 80-90% positive, but it's difficult not to notice the 10-20% of stupidity that prevents it from being as efficient as Hong Kong or Singapore's or KL's rail links.

EDIT: I forgot the 2-4 different tickets needed to traverse the MRT, BTS, BRT and SRT and the total idiocy of the BRT being stuck in traffic on non-dedicated lanes at key intersections. Soon we'll have monorails with a totally different ticketing system surely as well. All of this is par for the course, but with just a little more effort to think about the end user and not lining one's own pockets it could be at HK or SG levels of efficiency. Also, my wallet wouldn't be stretched from carrying so many cards. Why is my Nuduan card, for example, a separate entity from my regular BTS card? This country is lovely and I enjoy it, but it couldn't market its way out of a paper bag.

Edited by on-on

As I understand it the land at Makkasan was owned by the SRT, so there was no cost for it. As many have explained, it is now much too late to move it. What they need to do now is to dig a tunnel to the Petchaburi MRT station, and add moving walkways. Alternatively a sky bridge and with escalators and lifts at the end if that turns out to be cheaper. I don't see any other avenue for making it a practical choice for commuters. I certainly wouldn't use it right now. Easier to take a taxi to the airport directly.

On last visit I jumped the Express from Mak to Suwanna and it was great :o even at roi ha sip..

Stayed down at the Honey the night before (for old time sake etc) and got a taxi for 35 bt up to station and as said ... :D

Cant help remembering the days when it took 3 hours plus to/from the Don....its dee mak ...got couple of old mates on visit next week and they wont believe it.....so civilised....and now 90 bt. :lol: ...luvlay

The same journey on the Heathrow Xpress is anything between £17 and £25 quid although I get 33% off ..OAP...gorra laff :D

....roll on Tuesday night

Start the express at Phaya Thai, simple as that & move the check in terminals if they have to, there is not going to be much use for them anyway.

There is no space to have check in terminals or multiple rail lines at Phaya Thai.

But I think the biggest problem for Makkasan is the taxi access. If it had easy taxi access, then it would be a lot more useful. It also would have been better at the other end of the Makkasan rail yards (closer to Ratchapraprop station).

How many people get on the MRT or BTS with large suitcases? And even if they do, how do they get there. By taxi. So being able to get to Makkasan by taxi would make it a lot more useful.

As I understand it the land at Makkasan was owned by the SRT, so there was no cost for it. As many have explained, it is now much too late to move it. What they need to do now is to dig a tunnel to the Petchaburi MRT station, and add moving walkways. Alternatively a sky bridge and with escalators and lifts at the end if that turns out to be cheaper. I don't see any other avenue for making it a practical choice for commuters. I certainly wouldn't use it right now. Easier to take a taxi to the airport directly.

... yes, Balo, "if they had some brains" (average Thai IQ = 88 ... 8% score below 70, which is mentally retarded ... 16% score within 5 points of mentally retarded ... it's a nutritional deficiency problem the Thai government has known about and ignored since the early 1990's ... http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/07/19/headlines/headlines_30009114.php )... or, if the country weren't so intractibly corrupt (gosh, I don't really have any citations on THAT).

... the responsible Airport Rail Link genius fails to understand that the airport transit is not about money ... the difference in the THB 225 taxi ride and the THB 150 Rail Link ticket is right of the decimal point for air travelers ... less than a cup of Starbucks anything ... these guys are dealing with air travelers as though they are poor wretched prai.

... it is about convenience ... there IS nothing else.

... the AIrport RFail Link's only competitive advantage might occur in two windows 5 days each week during peak hour traffic ... that's it ... my bet is that the frequency of the Airport Rail Link ridership corresponds directly to those peak traffic hours.

... what the Airport Rail Link master minds have created is simply less convenient to anyone traveling with bags, and who is adverse to hiking the equivalent of half-way to BKK, dragging bags up and down stairs, and for long distances, only to connect to another public transit system without escalators ... how smart are these guys?

... for all the trouble of taking a taxi across BKK to get to the airport, a taxi is still more convenient than what they offer ... now, THAT says a lot.

... oh, and if there are two or more travelers together, the taxi cost is less AND it is more convenient.

... fixing the problem? ... fixing structural deficiencies as this takes far more intellectual horsepower than designing them correctly in the first place ... let's face it, they are incapable of fixing it.

Edited by swillowbee

When I was at Makkasan a couple of weeks ago I noticed there was a stairwell going down to a basement level. It was closed off but there was a sign for the MRT in the stairwell.

Whether they are building a tunnel walkway is anyone's guess or it is still in the planning/tea money stage?

Also every time I use the City line I notice the Express line trains are usually empty bar one or two people.

They would be better if they just increased the frequency of the city lines and did away with the express line.

I can't see it taking off.

I wouldn't use it even if they pay me...

Staying usually on Sukhumvit Rd. (even sois side), how am I supposed to get to either P or M station with two large bags..? I really can't imagine to travel by BTS with my 30 kg Rimova bag and cab would take too much time from where I usually stay...

Taxi to the airport takes around 30 minutes and costs around thb 300 (incl.thb 70 for highway) and since they've opened Suwarnabhumi airport I've never had any problem to get there on time (62 times already)...

When I was at Makkasan a couple of weeks ago I noticed there was a stairwell going down to a basement level. It was closed off but there was a sign for the MRT in the stairwell.

Whether they are building a tunnel walkway is anyone's guess or it is still in the planning/tea money stage?

Also every time I use the City line I notice the Express line trains are usually empty bar one or two people.

They would be better if they just increased the frequency of the city lines and did away with the express line.

I can't see it taking off.

You are right IMO. Changing anything is tantamount to admitting that errors have been made. It follows that there will be loss of face on a large scale. Lunacy.

They could always build a skywalk?

jb1

Maybe better to increase the airport taxi surcharge?

Or not let luggage on the City Line? (I see some people on the City Line and/or transitioning to/from the BTS and even MRT with multiple, refrigerator-sized bags. Sometimes they break free on the City Line and wipe out other travelers.)

I've always said that the line would become a default extension to BKK's public transport service and the express train will die a long, slow death.

That appears to be happening, a shame really, but it ain't the Heathrow express. Taxi's are just too cheap.

Nevertheless, BKK has built more public rail transport in the past 12 years than my home town of Melbourne has done since the 1930's (ie none). And this in the land of supposed levels of incompetence. I'll take BKK "planning" any day.

As for Makkasan being a white elephant. I reckon, just you wait. History has shown that where rail lines generally go, economic activity will follow.

I hate the word 'hub', but a hub it will be. Might take a decade to get it right, but I'd bet on it.

I'll be using it when traveling to Survanabumi to meet family, as I'll have no bags and will be travelling alone. There's no way in hell we'll be taking it back though. Taxi straight to the hotel every time.

They could always build a skywalk?

jb1

... all the way to the airport. :lol:

Great news, hope it can maintain the passengers needed. Great system, but I think it might take another 6 months to tweak it out.

Luggage is the other problem, which I hope the can consider.

I travel light so I take the City Train (several stops) and I love having the option of avoiding the taxi hassels. However, I've mentioned the airport train to several friends and they are not in the least bit interested: 1. Luggage issues, 2. Walking from their respective BTS/MRT stop to their hotel or hailing a taxi.

Any way, I think the the Swampy-BKK rail link is GREAT, but just one guy's opinion.

Edited by Lancelot

• 2 weeks later...

Airport Link to Cut Fare to Attract More Passengers

The Airport Link to Suvarnabhumi Airport has announced reduced fares next month to attract more commuters.

Deputy Governor of the State Railway of Thailand, Phakorn Tangchetsakao disclosed the Airport Link's Express Line will cut fares to 90 baht for a single trip and 150 baht round-trip in an effort to attract more customers.

In addition, the route will be extended from Makkasan Station to Phayathai Station where it will be linked with the BTS Skytrain.

The adjustment comes after the number of users has been far lower than initial targets.

The new fare will go into effect on June 1.

Concerning frequency, Phakorn said officials will soon discuss whether the train will run every 30 minutes or every hour.

Phakorn stated he was convinced that the number of users will double after the new reduced fares, adding that more signs will be installed at the stations to provide additional convenience to train riders.

He went on to say the State Railway of Thailand will be assessing people's satisfaction in six months' time.

If users still voice disappointment or the number of commuters fail to meet the target, the fares will be adjusted again.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-25

footer_n.gif

In addition, the route will be extended from Makkasan Station to Phayathai Station where it will be linked with the BTS Skytrain.

Very good idea. Maybe in the future it won't be needed, but for now Phayathai is more convenient for many. 90 baht from the airport to Phayathai at 100mph is a fantastic deal.