Tops Comes To Jomtien!

richsilver

. Overall the farang food is totally overpriced. Despite the much stronger Bht, price went up drastically. :(

Overpriced where? If everyone prices it the same, then that is the price.

Against Australian imports the baht is much weaker so we should expect to pay more for Australian food. A couple of years ago 1 AUD = 23 baht. Now 1 AUD = 32 baht.

USD/BHT hasn't moved much for years ...more or less the same story against European currencies... and then there is an inflation factor to consider in all these countries.

The Tops Daily opened today and I stopped by this afternoon and gave the establishment the once-over. I can report that it is definitely a supermarket, albeit a rather small one. I think in terms of space it is not as large as the one at TukCom. But it does have many things you will not find at 7-Eleven, including: a modest selection of fresh meat, fish and seafood; some fresh fruits and produce; baking supplies (flour, corn flour, yeast, brown sugar, etc.); cleaning supplies; a reasonable selection of paper goods (toilet paper, napkins, paper towels); an OK selection of cookies, biscuits and deserts; some frozen ready-made meals; a good selection of cooking oils.

Best of all, the prices are "supermarket prices", way less than the FoodMart across from Pan Pan and generally much better than 7-Eleven. My favorite supermarket in Pattaya is Foodland and a quick comparison of prices, reveals most prices here are very close to those at Foodland. Of course, there is no guarantee they will stay that way. Tops always offers some "hot specials", but they are mostly pretty pathetic reductions of a few baht.

Things that are missing: hardly any cheeses, no fresh bread (only packaged cardboard products), no frozen vegetables.

They are open 24 hours and the staff is quite friendly and helpful. Definitely a welcome addition to the neighborhood! And yet...could we hope for something more?

The Tops Daily opened today and I stopped by this afternoon and gave the establishment the once-over. I can report that it is definitely a supermarket, albeit a rather small one. I think in terms of space it is not as large as the one at TukCom. But it does have many things you will not find at 7-Eleven, including: a modest selection of fresh meat, fish and seafood; some fresh fruits and produce; baking supplies (flour, corn flour, yeast, brown sugar, etc.); cleaning supplies; a reasonable selection of paper goods (toilet paper, napkins, paper towels); an OK selection of cookies, biscuits and deserts; some frozen ready-made meals; a good selection of cooking oils.

Best of all, the prices are "supermarket prices", way less than the FoodMart across from Pan Pan and generally much better than 7-Eleven. My favorite supermarket in Pattaya is Foodland and a quick comparison of prices, reveals most prices here are very close to those at Foodland. Of course, there is no guarantee they will stay that way. Tops always offers some "hot specials", but they are mostly pretty pathetic reductions of a few baht.

Things that are missing: hardly any cheeses, no fresh bread (only packaged cardboard products), no frozen vegetables.

They are open 24 hours and the staff is quite friendly and helpful. Definitely a welcome addition to the neighborhood! And yet...could we hope for something more?

In other words it's barely more than a glorified 7-11. I looked in today too and was not impressed. Not sure about prices but Foodmart now has better choices ...

"In other words it's barely more than a glorified 7-11"

That's a good description, imho.

I bought a few items there and found prices to be slightly higher than 7-11 or Family-Mart and Food-Mart. Silly example was a coconut at 35 Baht - I normally pay from 19 to 30 Baht.

My estimate was that they have about 20% more items than 7-11, but nowhere near the selection that food-mart offers, which isn't all that great either - compared to a REAL supermarket.

Look like it will be quite some time until Jomtien catches up with the status-quo in other areas of Pattaya.

And I wouldn't be concerned about Food-Mart reducing their prices - they're still laughing all the way to the bank!

In other words it's barely more than a glorified 7-11. I looked in today too and was not impressed. Not sure about prices but Foodmart now has better choices ...

You must have been reading a different report. That report indicates it way better than a 7Eleven.

.I bought a few items there and found prices to be slightly higher than 7-11 or Family-Mart and Food-Mart. Silly example was a coconut at 35 Baht - I normally pay from 19 to 30 Baht.

Where have you been buying coconuts for as low as 19 baht recently? Even Carrefour has them priced at 30 baht or over right now. Sure, they used to be 15 - 20 baht, but not now.

.I bought a few items there and found prices to be slightly higher than 7-11 or Family-Mart and Food-Mart. Silly example was a coconut at 35 Baht - I normally pay from 19 to 30 Baht.

Where have you been buying coconuts for as low as 19 baht recently? Even Carrefour has them priced at 30 baht or over right now. Sure, they used to be 15 - 20 baht, but not now.

Depends on the size of the coconut - small ones "baby coconuts" should never be more than 20 Baht. In Bahkok some street sellers have 'em for 10., Pattaya haa a coconut inflation problem maybe. Too many gullible tourists. 30 Baht for a large coconut is beach price and maybe now supermarkets too,

Depends on the size of the coconut - small ones "baby coconuts" should never be more than 20 Baht. In Bahkok some street sellers have 'em for 10., Pattaya haa a coconut inflation problem maybe. Too many gullible tourists. 30 Baht for a large coconut is beach price and maybe now supermarkets too,

I don't care about the size. I want to know where I can buy sweet baby (trimmed) coconuts for as low as 19 baht in Pattaya. In the Philippines I can get them for free off our coconut trees.

"Where have you been buying coconuts for as low as 19 baht recently?"

The "Open" or Street Markets in south Pattaya or across Soi 5 on Thappraya in Jomtien. And, believe it or not, on sale at the Central Festival Market, which is normally one of the most expensive.

You might need to apply a little Lot-Noi-Dai-Mai? in the Street . . . :D

The "Open" or Street Markets in south Pattaya or across Soi 5 on Thappraya in Jomtien. And, believe it or not, on sale at the Central Festival Market, which is normally one of the most expensive.

Thanks.

Avoid the tourist spots like behind Mikes shopping. Jomtien Market can be good and I have bought a lare coconut for as little as 20 baht there. On the other the sweet little old lady who parks her sidecar next to the Jomtien roundabout by the 7 (yes next to the new tops now) had the gaul to try to sell me a baby coconut for 30. When I balked she told me the coconut was "big" :ph34r:

I live in Jomtien and do my weekly grocery shopping at Foodland, Makro and the Jomtien traditional market. I go to FoodMart whenever I need some milk or bread, But I don't like their prices, and their not-so-friendly employees. Tops Daily is a nice addition to the Jomtien area - it's about time!!!

I live in Jomtien and do my weekly grocery shopping at Foodland, Makro and the Jomtien traditional market. I go to FoodMart whenever I need some milk or bread, But I don't like their prices, and their not-so-friendly employees. Tops Daily is a nice addition to the Jomtien area - it's about time!!!

Are you aware that bread and milk cost the same at 7Elevens and Family Marts? If there is a difference it's only a few baht and hardly worth going out of your way for.

Are you aware that bread and milk cost the same at 7Elevens and Family Marts? If there is a difference it's only a few baht and hardly worth going out of your way for.

huh? Lost in translation? When I have to buy one or two small items, I don't care too much about the difference in price... and FoodMart is much closer to me than the 7-11. Now that Tops Daily is even closer to me... I'll probably go there.

huh? Lost in translation? When I have to buy one or two small items, I don't care too much about the difference in price... and FoodMart is much closer to me than the 7-11. Now that Tops Daily is even closer to me... I'll probably go there.

Sorry, I just assumed a Family Mart or 7Eleven would be closer. I live quite near Foodmart, but there's about 20 7Elevens and Family Marts closer.

When was options negative? Those who like it will go, and others won't.

Some items might be cheaper and some not.

And as they say .........up to you! :D

Well this tops was not the upscale supermarket many expats had hoped for. Indeed, if you want a cup of instant coffee you will pays twice as much as at the 7 across the road. Want a newspaper? Sorry, no-can-do at Tops - go to 7.

So why is it here? One reason: somebody noticed the insane amount of russians and others crowding the 7 in the high season(for some reason none of them thought to go to the family mart across the road).

• 2 months later...

I am considering moving from Bangkok to Jomtien and the main thing that is putting me off is the lack of shopping opportunities in Jomtien. In Bangkok I go to the supermarket just about every day for one little thing or another. I can't be bothered living somewhere where I have to take a bus to buy a liter of milk.

I am considering moving from Bangkok to Jomtien and the main thing that is putting me off is the lack of shopping opportunities in Jomtien. In Bangkok I go to the supermarket just about every day for one little thing or another. I can't be bothered living somewhere where I have to take a bus to buy a liter of milk.

Not necessary in Jomtien. Plenty of places to buy a liter of milk without having to take a bus. ;)

Not necessary in Jomtien. Plenty of places to buy a liter of milk without having to take a bus. ;)

LOL, he doesn't know Jomtien too well. Along the beach road in Jomtien there are more than a dozen 7Elevens and Family Marts, all selling milk by the liter or 2 litre container open 24 hours.