Iphone 4 Poor Battery Power

daveb1

Just bought a new iphone 4 from true, love the phone but the battery power is not good, Tried re instaling software as suggested on some tech websites and turning off apps but after less than 24 hours and not much use down to 50%. Is this normal and if i return the phone to True (had it 6 days) will they give me a new one? Anyone else had a problem like this?

Maybe the phone/battery sat on the shelf for a very long time? Are there any utilities you can use to see how much life your battery has left? Are there any utilities which let you monitor/manage usage? I might go back to True and ask that they install a factory-fresh battery?

In the Android world we can of course buy extra batteries and install them ourselves. I also use a custom ROM that lets me adjust a lot of power-consumption characteristics. WiFi scanning, seems to happen every 5 seconds (with stock ROMs), and uses a lot of power. With a custom ROM you can change this time period. I specifically chose a custom ROM, I have the choice of dozens, which thousands of other users had verified had the best battery performance, best GPS lock, quickest UI, and best 3G modem. Of course that doesn't do you much good.

Is your iphone jailbroke? If yes then you can install many different apps through cydia that can/will help you save your battery life. This is normal and although Apple says they made the battery bigger in the new iphone 4 3g, it didn't seem to do much good.

Once your iphone 4 is jailbroken you are best to go on youtube and type in things like "how to save power on ipod touch" as most of the kids that do tutorials have the ipod touch not the iphone but either works.

I have hundreds of apps on mine and my battery life is only a little slower then from stock. Apps like "Video wallpaper" etc will use up battery life.

Either then that in Thailand a consumer only has 7 days to return a product and normally like some people have posted if you buy from True then it is guarranteed to be a new one already with stock factory battery.

If the phone is jailbroken, then it could be Cydia causing the problem. There are lots of reports of battery drain issues, but the way I solved it is to go into the root coding and delete certain files that are constantly causing the phone to try and communicate in an endless loop, causing the battery to drain. Deleting these files will stop it, and it's Cydia constantly trying to communicate with it's servers. One way you can tell is the phone always feel hot.

Battery level down to 50% in 24 hours seems pretty normal to me. Probably will dive to much lower % if you use 3G a lot. I don't use my iPhone4 all that much, and only place/receive actual phone calls about once per week, but I need to charge it daily. I've been told it's because I have the 3G modem engaged 24/7.

It seems to drain the battery even faster if I use the phone to tether the internet connection to my notebook.

I have an iPod Touch 4th Generation. If I'm playing online games, watching online video or just online, it sucks power. Playing music, it would last all day. Same as the iPhone. Turn off the wifi, see if that helps, as it won't be searching for it. Go to settings, wifi, click on it then turn off. And of course if you use it for a wifi hotspot for your notebook, it will suck power. Plug it in to your notebook USB and then it will just suck power from the notebook.

You don't say where in Thailand you are?

Are you in an area/building where the 3G or Data signal drops off?

If so you phone will use a greater amount of battery power in these situations while it constantly scans for a data access...

Try a couple tests (Not at the same time):

1. Delete all you email accounts on the phone and watch your battery use for a day.

2. Turn off your data (Cydia - SBSettings) for a day and see what your data usage is like this.

Edited by sfokevin

I highly doubt that an official iPhone 4 from TrueMove is jailbroken. That would be kind of weird for an official provider, or? :rolleyes:

Do not jailbreak the phone as long as you do not really need the additional features, some cydia apps drain your battery quick.

Additionally, the usage of EDGE saves a lot of battery.. TrueMove offers EDGE in downtown bangkok if you turn of 3G. DTAC offers EDGE by default.

Turn off wi-fi and bluetooth.

The personal hotspot feature can be turned on at all times since it goes to standby when there's no device connected to the iPhone. I am not sure if bluetooth goes into standby.

You seem to be graced by the iphone gods 24 hours of battery is a dream phone for me.

Battery level down to 50% in 24 hours seems pretty normal to me. Probably will dive to much lower % if you use 3G a lot. I don't use my iPhone4 all that much, and only place/receive actual phone calls about once per week, but I need to charge it daily. I've been told it's because I have the 3G modem engaged 24/7.

It seems to drain the battery even faster if I use the phone to tether the internet connection to my notebook.

I highly doubt that an official iPhone 4 from TrueMove is jailbroken. That would be kind of weird for an official provider, or? :rolleyes:

Do not jailbreak the phone as long as you do not really need the additional features, some cydia apps drain your battery quick.

Additionally, the usage of EDGE saves a lot of battery.. TrueMove offers EDGE in downtown bangkok if you turn of 3G. DTAC offers EDGE by default.

Turn off wi-fi and bluetooth.

The personal hotspot feature can be turned on at all times since it goes to standby when there's no device connected to the iPhone. I am not sure if bluetooth goes into standby.

Considering buying an iphone myself so interested in this topic. Excuse my ignorance but what does it mean to "jailbreak" a phone and what additional features does "jailbreaking" allow you to access?

You seem to be graced by the iphone gods 24 hours of battery is a dream phone for me.

Quite honestly, I don't use the iPhone all that much. It was a gift from a friend who's trying to nudge me into the 21st century.

I was told I'd get better battery life by turning off 3G, WiFi and Bluetooth. I don't use Bluetooth at all, so that is disabled. However, I use WiFi at home and in True WiFi locations, and True 3G when not. (I live in Hua Hin which has reasonable True 3G coverage.) I sometimes also use the Personal Hotspot to tether to my notebook if I'm in a 3G location and want to use my notebook.

I'm just too lazy to turn off 3G & WiFi when I know the phone won't be used for extended periods, like when I go to bed. And, it's another fuss to turn 3G/WiFi back on before I used the phone.

So, generally, my iPhone battery level drops to around 50% during a typical day of light/no use. I always plug it in to charge every night.