How To Change Product Activation Key For Windows 7

issanbruin

A while back, a good friend of mine installed a new version of Windows 7 Ultimate. It worked great for a long time, but now Windows advises that this is not a valid copy of the program. They indicated that I needed to change the product key to a real one.

Can anyone tell me how I can find and change the Product Key (long serial no. for the program that you use when installing the program?) I followed the Windows help instructions and right-clicked on computer, clicked on properties but there was no prompt for windows activation as advised. I just need to figure out how to find the product key so I can change it. Guess am not very computer literate.

Any help would be appreciated, as I now have a valid Product Key now and would like to make the correction.

Thanks

Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System

Scroll down and the 'Change Product Key' link is there.

Of course you need an unused and valid key to change to, Windows will give you 3 days to activate.

Please Note; Changing the key is not illegal (after all there is a link) however discussion of ways around the Microsoft Genuine Advantage system is, and as such discussion of this is not permitted by ThaiVisa rules.

I followed the Windows help instructions and right-clicked on computer, clicked on properties but there was no prompt for windows activation as advised.

First, you need to remove any "activation cracks" -- assuming you have been using one. Then use the command line to change the product key.

1. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories

2. Right-click on the Command Prompt shortcut and select Run as administrator

3. In the CMD window, type:

slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

then press Enter...

Note: Replace XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX with your product key.

4. To activate the new key, type:

slmgr.vbs -ato

Of course you need an unused and valid key to change to, Windows will give you 3 days to activate.

Please Note; Changing the key is not illegal (after all there is a link) however discussion of ways around the Microsoft Genuine Advantage system is, and as such discussion of this is not permitted by ThaiVisa rules.

Thanks, Crossy, I tried it, but also there was no 'change product key' to be found. I searched thoroughly. I still just need to find the location of the product key and I can change with my genuine, recently purchased genuine key from Windows.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Crossy, I tried it, but also there was no 'change product key' to be found. I searched thoroughly. I still just need to find the location of the product key and I can change with my genuine, recently purchased genuine key from Windows.

Thanks again.

Crossy gave you the correct information:

If you don't have it, then I suggest you have a 'hacked' version of Windows 7 Ultimate installed.

Your only option is to contact Microsoft. They should be able give you a download link to download an original release to manufacturing setup image for Windows 7 Ultimate to burn a DVD and reinstall the system from. There are many places on the web you can download Windows 7 Ultimate RTM images, but unless you get it from Microsoft, you can't be assured that it is legitimate. Most likely you will have to do a 'clean install' as you don't know how your installed version was hacked.You don't want residue from a hack version remaining on your system. It may cause you grief in the future.

Edited by BB1950

There are many places on the web you can download Windows 7 Ultimate RTM images, but unless you get it from Microsoft, you can't be assured that it is legitimate.

I take it that you've never verified file integrity before? :rolleyes: All you need to do is compare the MD5 or SHA-1 checksum of the ISO image you downloaded against the official values [click]. If they match, your file is 100 percent authentic.

FWIW, file hashes can't be duped.

post-81119-0-83655000-1305458627_thumb.p

Edited by Supernova

There are many places on the web you can download Windows 7 Ultimate RTM images, but unless you get it from Microsoft, you can't be assured that it is legitimate.

I take it that you've never verified file integrity before? :rolleyes: All you need to do is compare the MD5 or SHA-1 checksum of the ISO image you downloaded against the official values [click]. If they match, your file is 100 percent authentic.

FWIW, file hashes can't be duped.

I am very well aware of MD5 and SHA-1 checksums. I check files all the time to verify their validity.

The advice was given to a novice. I assumed that issanbruin is a novice because issanbruin had a very simple question regarding changing the Product Key and was having a problem in doing so. issanbruin also confessed to this weakness.

Most likely issanbruin isn't aware of checksums and wouldn't know how to go about checking checksums, or know what a valid checksum would be. My intention was not to confuse issanbruin by making it more complicated.

In my haste I didn't see that he had recently purchased a valid Product Key from Microsoft. Which is also why I mentioned to issanbruin to contact Microsoft.

I also wanted issanbruin to understand that there are many 'hacked' versions available on the web. Especially Windows 7 Ultimate.

It may be that issanbruin has a legitimate Windows 7 Ultimate RTM setup DVD in which case it wouldn't need to be downloaded.

issanbruin only mentioned having a valid Product Key. I assumed the worse that issanbruin didn't have a setup disk. Since issanbruin mentioned "recently purchased genuine key from Windows", it may be that issanbruin purchased the 'Get Genuine Online Kit' from Microsoft.

issanbruin would have received the new Product Key immediately and the instructions below how to change the Product Key (which is described in the OP) sent with the invoice or email. issanbruin may be waiting for the setup media to be shipped.

1. Click the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.jpg, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom of the window that appears, and then, under Windows activation, click Change product key. If you're prompted for permission to continue the process, click Continue.
  3. Follow the instructions to change your product key and activate your copy of Windows 7

The screenshot I provided is from step 2. (Crossy also mentioned of another way to get to the very same window.)

Those instructions also state:

If the product key update fails, please backup your data and install the software using the media shipped to you.

This is one thing that I failed to mention, and I should have because it is very important to backup your data prior to Installing Windows 7 in to protect important data.

My earlier post was a quick and dirty reply. ;)

Edited by BB1950

I got the "not genuine ..activate your version of windows" message two weeks ago on and I just phoned MS on the Thai 1800 # (ended up in India methinks) and the very nice Indian gentleman walked me through it..problem solved...this was on Vista though after I had a new motherboard installed.

The product Activation code is different from the Product key! ( I think it was set of six 3 numerics)This code was given to me over the phone by the Indian chappie..

hope this helps....

Edited by David006

Come to think of it, if an OEM SLP key was used to activate, there will be no "Change Product Key" link in System Properties. This is usually the case on machines that are preinstalled by OEM's.

Therefore, it's safe to assume that the activation crack (which typically utilizes OEM keys) has stopped working; hence, the OP being nagged about running non-genuine software. The solution would be to either remove the offending software as suggested, or reinstall Windows.

Edited by Supernova

Come to think of it, if an OEM SLP key was used to activate, there will be no "Change Product Key" link in System Properties. This is usually the case on machines that are preinstalled by OEM's.

Therefore, it's safe to assume that the activation crack (which typically utilizes OEM keys) has stopped working; hence, the OP being nagged about running non-genuine software. The solution would be to either remove the offending software as suggested, or reinstall Windows.

The activation crack was probably either the 'Timer Reset' or a 'Loader'.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I should be receiving the disk from Microsoft Windows in the mail and will just reinstall with the new product key they emailed me. While I am waiting, I may give that #1800 no. a try and see what happens.

In any case, thank you all for your sincere attempts to help me fix this problem. Will let you all know when resolved.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I should be receiving the disk from Microsoft Windows in the mail and will just reinstall with the new product key they emailed me. While I am waiting, I may give that #1800 no. a try and see what happens.

In any case, thank you all for your sincere attempts to help me fix this problem. Will let you all know when resolved.

no worries mate good luck..seems the thing you lost is is always in the last place you look... :rolleyes:

When I purchased the 'Get Genuine Online Kit' from Microsoft, The kit came via UPS from Singapore. It took just over two weeks to arrive.

In my 'quick and and dirty' reply above, I mentioned doing a 'Clean Install' and I failed to mention doing a 'Custom Install'. A clean install will reformat the hard drive. Meaning you would lose all the data on the hard drive. A 'Custom Install' of Windows 7 do a clean install of Windows 7, but with everything from your current Windows installation will be backed up into the Windows.old folder during the custom installation. After the custom installation, you can copy any files you wanted back from within the C:\Windows.old folder back into your new installation of Windows 7 and delete the Windows.old folder when finished.

The link below is a very good tutorial of doing a 'Custom Install' of Windows 7. It should help you out, if you should have any problems. I don't want to further confuse the issue and make it more difficult than it really is.

http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

Microsoft has a multitude of Technical Support center numbers depending on the product and region. Since the post above was referring to Windows Vista, I doubt it will help you. But you can use the following links to help you obtain the correct Microsoft support number for Windows 7 here in Thailand.

https://support.micr...95&gsaid=599043

or

http://support.micro...ws=support#tab0

This is the current Technical Support Number shown for Bangkok: 02 263 6888. I've never had very good service calling this number. But they will give you a number to call for customer support from India. In the past, it was a toll free number from Thailand, but TIT and things change.

This is the customer number shown in the 'Get Genuine Online Kit' I received from Microsoft: (866) 234-602. It is a toll free phone number for the US. You can call this number free if you use Skype, otherwise you will be charged for the call as an 'international call' to the US.

My experience in dealing with Microsoft Technical support is that all the customer phone support is from centers routed to India.

Hope this helps

Edited by BB1950

there are different types of crack, the loaders wich are nearly perfect and won't harm your system while the crack you used simply removed all components within windows that control the activation and WGA.

that's why you don't see any license number nor anything related to activate windows.