Visakha Bucha Day Doi Suthep Walk

junglechef

Is it family friendly such as having transportation for those who don't make it all the way to the top or don't want to walk at all (I have two boy 6 & 7). Times etc. anything to give me an idea of what's goes on.

Thanks

I'm sorry to say it but I found that the transportation that is available (songthaews) harshly affects the experience for those walking. I've done it 4 times, each time there was more congestion due to vehicles pushing their way up through the crowds, and at times the exhaust was very heavy & unpleasant. In fact, the motor traffic is the main reason I haven't done the walk the last couple of years.

In general, it's a very fun & relaxed atmoshpere. There are various groups parading, from old village ladies in traditional costume to new uni students getting hazed on the way by their seniors. And there are plenty of vendors selling snacks and drinks (including beer) along the way. After about 11pm the area at the chedi gets super crowded & last time it took me an hour to my 3 times walking around the chedi. I've usually walked down but many take the songthaew option. It can be hard getting a place though & they pack the passengers in very tight.

I definitely recommend the experience for adults & older kids, with the caveats that it will get tight & uncomfortable at times. I don't think it's a great idea for small children to make the trip. Even if you can get a ride you may have to wait a long time, you will probably not have a comfortable seat & the kids will have a hard time in the mob at the top. Going very early in the evening might help you avoid some of the trouble, but then you miss the real experience which doesn't really get going til quite late.

I'm sorry to say it but I found that the transportation that is available (songthaews) harshly affects the experience for those walking. I've done it 4 times, each time there was more congestion due to vehicles pushing their way up through the crowds, and at times the exhaust was very heavy & unpleasant. In fact, the motor traffic is the main reason I haven't done the walk the last couple of years.

In general, it's a very fun & relaxed atmoshpere. There are various groups parading, from old village ladies in traditional costume to new uni students getting hazed on the way by their seniors. And there are plenty of vendors selling snacks and drinks (including beer) along the way. After about 11pm the area at the chedi gets super crowded & last time it took me an hour to my 3 times walking around the chedi. I've usually walked down but many take the songthaew option. It can be hard getting a place though & they pack the passengers in very tight.

I definitely recommend the experience for adults & older kids, with the caveats that it will get tight & uncomfortable at times. I don't think it's a great idea for small children to make the trip. Even if you can get a ride you may have to wait a long time, you will probably not have a comfortable seat & the kids will have a hard time in the mob at the top. Going very early in the evening might help you avoid some of the trouble, but then you miss the real experience which doesn't really get going til quite late.

The time I did we got to Doi Suthep about 3.30 am. The crowds at the top were crazy. It took us about 4 hours to get there. There were songthaews going down but it took a long for the road to clear. We parked the bike at CMU at about 10.00 pm. We got back there at 7.00am in the morning. If you have small children I would be very wary about doing it. Even if you get a lift to the top the crowds on the top are packed. Even at 3.30 am it took us the best part of an hour to walk the three times around the temple.

It is worth doing but with small children I'd be wary.

Is it family friendly such as having transportation for those who don't make it all the way to the top or don't want to walk at all (I have two boy 6 & 7). Times etc. anything to give me an idea of what's goes on.

Thanks

Don't walk there with kids of any age. There's fumes, and you may have noticed there isn't actually a footpath; you're walking on the main road and risk getting clipped by cars and motorbikes.

But yes, plenty Songthaews are going to the top so when you feel you did enough walking you just flag one down.

My advice: Take your kids up to Doi Suthep on another day. Preferably not a holiday, and preferably early morning or very late afternoon.