Picnic Lunch Ideas Here In Cm Wednesday

JRA

Ok so I am kinda seeing this Thai girl and we are spending lunch and early afternoon together...I thought a picnic lunch would be more fun and interesting for her than just a plain lunch at some restuarant.

One of the issues is rain so any suggestion on an outside picnic lunch area would be nice and here near the city by motorbike or tuk tuk?

I know the park near sw corner of mote...any other park idea's close? or any other suggestion welcomed...or something that would have cover if and when the rain starts and that we could get to without hiring a taxi?

She is very sweet gal and I would like to make her afternoon special or a bit different...most girls in the USA like a picnic lunch but I don't have much experience dating Thai ladies.

How about a suggestion for a place to get some flowers?

Kop koon krup my Thai Visa friends, have a nice week guys and gals:)

Suan Tweechol is the nicest park for a picnic but it's not in the city and requires transportation to get there and back. There is a really nice picnic area there. Suan Bak Hat may be your only option. Thais love it there.

Flowers are a western tradition.

I have enjoyed picnics in the national park on Doi Suthep but that might be a bit further than you want to go. There is a well developed park on the right as you go up the mountain that features a waterfall and has a few covered picnic areas. Fairly private during the week and it also has something of a wading pool at the base of the waterfall to cool off in. Several other areas along the left side of the road up the mountain are prime picnic spots but may be a bit busy over the holidays and weekend.

There are some nice areas at Royal Flora Ratchapurak for a picnic and some traditional Thai structures you could move into/under in case of a brief shower. Pretty empty during the week as well. It's close to town (near the night safari) but does charge a small fee for admission now. The lakeside area would likely be a nice picnic spot and there are a few salas tucked away in reasonably private areas.

Regarding flowers: there is a large cut flower market along the river near Warorot market.

You could take her to Huay Kaew waterfall near the entrance to Chiang Mai zoo. If it rains you can always take her to the restaurant nearby....

If you want to go further afield, try Huay Tung Tao on the canal road, near the 700 year stadium...

Wat Umong on Suthep Road... can watch all the wild deer...

This is good advice.

OP: Western girls love flower and picnics, Thai girls do not.

Flowers don't last (die quickly) - thats not a good symbol for a relationship.

Only poor people picnic in Thailand. Goto the park enjoy your time there, but take her out to eat. Or take her to Huay Tung Tao and order food in one of the floating cabins.

good luck

Suan Tweechol is the nicest park for a picnic but it's not in the city and requires transportation to get there and back. There is a really nice picnic area there. Suan Bak Hat may be your only option. Thais love it there.

Flowers are a western tradition.

Picnics are just fine. Ignore the naysayers... the trick is to make it different, I. E. Not street food. Depending on her tastes, take her to a hot springs. Boil the eggs, then make egg mayo for sandwiches, slice the egg for a nice side salad with a Thai twist perhaps. A nice bottle of something nice, and don't forget a desert.

Sure-thai style picnics with streetfood aren't necessarily the right choice, but make a fusion, or a farang style picnic with all the trimmings, and she will love it.

The point of dating someone from a different culture is to share those differences, so take her on a picnic and bring her flowers - don't try to be a Thai

My Thai GF always seemed to get excited when I brought her flowers and all of the other girls in her office responded positively

Just becareful with the colors - I bought a really pretty white bouquet once and she threw them at me :lol:

Edited by PlanetX

So there you have 4 good ideas; Suan Tweechol, San Kamphaeng Hot Springs, the park near Doi Suthep, and Huay Tung Tao. Wat Umong??? I dunno about that one... :unsure: Unfortunately all 4 are out of the city and require transportation. I guess the park near Doi Suthep would be the easiest.

As for the flowers, I would pass on them unless you understand what each flower and its color mean in Thai culture. You could insult the girl if you are not careful. Some deal with death, some are bad luck, etc., etc. You can't go wrong with fruits and Thai sweets.

Huay Tueng Thao is the way to go; it's a bit cooler, and covered, and you don't have to prepare anything other than perhaps some wine. I think the public parks inside the city are all dumps, dirty and too hot. Wat Umong is scenic to vist and walk around, but no suitable picnic area and it's just too dirty.

The ONE spot that I would consider (maybe) other than Huay Tueng Thao (which is best, go there) is the grassy area near Ang Kaew lake at Chiang Mai university. That's a clean and suitable area if it doesn't rain.

Taweechol I would also consider if it was the cool season. It's not the cool season. Same same for Sirikit Botanical Gardens.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai