Cobra,S And Other Snake Infestation @ Payoongreenvill

obi1970

Hi all

Need some ideas or solutions for snake problem! Lately payoongreenvill in Ban chang have a problem with diffrend kinds of snake, they crawl up into the village using the water drains i sujested to payoongreenvill office to use mesh wire to cover the drain so water still can pass freely but will prevent snakes from passing true. we latley found 2 cobra,s and new cobra nest with eggs and other variety of poison snakes.

i know snakes are a part of thai wildlife but we have lots of young children here and iwould hate that the get harmed or killed by snakebyte.

The construction @ our village is comming to a end and so is the good effort that the land office is willing to make to improve the safety of the village. i hope anyone can give me some advice or idea to solve this problem. all idea are welcome

because we dont get much help or feedback from our office who are in charge of maitenance.

hope you guys can help out

thx

Unfortunately, there is mass hysteria here about all snakes being poisonous, especially with the Thais. Not all snakes are poisonous here. Make sure of your identification. Take pictures if you can and post them here. Several people will help you correctly identify it. Describe the nest you say is a cobra. I doubt you found one but you just may have. Cobras will defend the nest up to a few days before the eggs hatch, then they leave so as not the eat their young. So you would have encountered a very pissed off female if you had found eggs. And the eggs are covered under a mound of bamboo leaves. Cobra's eat other snakes and avoid humans when ever possible. Their favorite meal is "Rat Snakes" which are not poisonous and once they get on their trail are relentless to catch it. That's normally how they come in contact with humans. Do you have lots of rats in the village? If you do then you're likely to have rat snakes and you'll have a cobra somewhere.

Amazing how much you can learn about snakes by simply going to the Snake Research Center?

One safety rule and it sounds contradictory: Initially treat "ALL" snakes as poisonous until you can identify them. But remember not all are poisonous. And they all are beneficial. Don't kill them unless you really need to.:jap:

thx for the reply

the one i see is a pit viper not really sure what kind it was the other one they killed was 100% a cobra , thet spotted another one who got away. i know cobra gard the nest an i think thats the one they killed.

we dont have many rats or other small rodents here the village is not so old and infrastructure is still good (to thai standard). we only have lots and lots of frogs near the village , the village is completly surounded with high walls with no breaches in the wall. only way in is the drainage were also many frogs live in. if you ask me that is the way they get into the compund.

but even i am not one that would kill animal because it is just there but main importance is that people are safe, so need to find solution to minimize the treath

Unfortunately, you will never really reduce the threat as hard as you try. They go were the "food" supply is. control that and that's the best you can do.

Edited by Mrjlh

Is there a particular season when snakes are more active? Every house I've lived in in Thailand has had snakes in the yard at some stage, I usually find them after the dog has killed'em. She's got quite a tally up, and so far no injurys.

Comming from rural australia, where there it is pretty common to find deadly snakes everywhere the only thing you could do was educate your kids about how best to avoid them and what to do once you encounter them.

Best to leave them alone, they usually don't stay long unless you've a permanent food source for them.

I also live in Payoongreenvill and not a big fan of snakes....just wondering how big these cobras are? I have never seen one in 4 years of being there but I'm only there for a few weeks at a time....

I know I have seen packs of dogs running down the street.....and there's something in the farm field at night that screeches and I have seen people in trees with flashlight looking for something.

Keep us informed...

small update !!!!

office say they cant do anything serious about the problem , they will only make a extra area so people can put the garbage away safely , this way no junk laying around in village so snakes can hide under. i do intend to get the discussion going on next village meeting with office untill they do all what is possible to prevent this in future ( for so far it is possible)

for the momment its just the farang who are pushing office most thai still remain in background (t.i.t)