On 1 Month Tourist Visa

I am assuming you are on a 1 month visa-exempt entry.

You can do a border hop via plane and get 1 month.

You can go to a Thai Embassy outside the country and apply for a Tourist Visa (60 days and extendable for an additional 30 days for 1900 Baht)

You do not say if you are married to a Thai. If so, you may be able to get a 60 day extension inside the country (once) --- I am sure Mario or Lop or Litebeer can give more details on that.

If married to a Thai use normal TM.7 extension of stay to apply for 60 day stay to visit spouse. Spouse will have to attend with ID/home registration and marriage certificate but cost is only 1,900 baht. This can normally be obtained for any type of entry but not on itself.

2.24 In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission

will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time.

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto.

What? I'm married and got the Non Immigrant O visa. It required a minimum of 100,000 baht in my bank account and our marriage documents. It is valid for 1 year and I just have to re-enter Thailand (I do a border run) every 90 days.

A separate issue, the OP is in the country on a 30 visa exempt entry. He doesn't want to leave and get a visa.

What? I'm married and got the Non Immigrant O visa. It required a minimum of 100,000 baht in my bank account and our marriage documents. It is valid for 1 year and I just have to re-enter Thailand (I do a border run) every 90 days.

Yes. There is a difference bewteen a visa and a permisison to stay.

Your visa allows you to travel to Thailand an unlimited number of times during the time it is valid. Upon entry you get a permission to stay for up to 90 days, than you have to leave and come right back.

The good news is that by leaving and re-entering just before the visa expires you get a new 90 days, and so almost 15 months out of your visa.

If you don't want to do border runs every 90 days you have to apply for an extension of stay. That requires:

- an income of 40,000 a month (can be from abroad)

OR

- 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand in your name only, for at least 2 months

On your 1-year spouse visa, make a border run before it expires and get 90 days bonus.

Extend it after that using rule 2.24 and get another 60 days for 1900 baht.

Total 17 months for a non-immigrant O visa based on marriage.

2.24 In the case of an alien visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time.

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto.

Does anyone know where all the visa info (1 year wanted in thailand, Thai wife, considering doing a Thai language course while there ) including bank a/c amounts etc are located on the web?

Which would be easiest the ED or using my Thai wife?

Does anyone know where all the visa info (1 year wanted in thailand, Thai wife, considering doing a Thai language course while there ) including bank a/c amounts etc are located on the web?

Which would be easiest the ED or using my Thai wife?

They are all over the web. Look at the pinned topics above ... look on Thaivisa.com (not in the forums) or look at the embassy and/or consulates websites in your country (Thai embassies/consulates)

A language school would be the cheapest in terms of cask deposits required ...

The wife thing requires/income or larger cash deposit (400k)

If you are OK with making border runs every 90 days you could probably get a multi-entry non-o based on marriage with 100k in the bank.

You do not say if you are married to a Thai. If so, you may be able to get a 60 day extension inside the country (once)

Incorrect.

You can them indefinitely as long as there is a border run in between. The rules were officially changed a few years ago, so you're information is quite incorrect.

It's so common that it's nick named 'The Unofficial Marriage VIsa'. Do a border run, for even a 15 day stamp and can extend it for 60 days. Then can repeat the process again and again and again if so wished.

People who don't want money tied up in useless local bank accounts, don't have verifiable income, or just don't have the money have been doing it for years, no problem.

And it isn't a loophole, they legally changed it to make it possible.

It is up to immigration as to how many times they will allow however - and they can and do set limits on a case by case basis from reports here.

They changed the wording because it was never clear what 'one' referred to. One per life/entry/year/passport?

It is up to immigration as to how many times they will allow however - and they can and do set limits on a case by case basis from reports here.

Can you show some reports where people have had a limit set since the rules were changed to allow multiple/indefinite times?

I myself have done it 3 times in a row (possibly 4 - it's a long way to the cupboard with my passport. :) ) from 15 day border runs in between (a nice bike ride to border every 75 days), and know a number of people currently with ten plus 60 day extensions with a border run between each. No one has ever mentioned a limit being set by their local immigration - in BKK, Chiang Mai and in Isahn.

Would be interested to see any of the reports showing otherwise though. ermm.gif

They changed the wording because it was never clear what 'one' referred to.

Interesting.

I didn't see the immigration announcement with regards to such a reason.

Edited by hehehoho