What Are You Doing In Thailand ?

strikingsunset

It seems as if the OP might be having a problem saying .... "I am retired and looking for a GF"

In a word,yes

If that is why you are planning on moving here, you are an accident waiting to happen. I do wish you all the luck in the world though!

It seems as if the OP might be having a problem saying .... "I am retired and looking for a GF"

In a word,yes

If that is why you are planning on moving here, you are an accident waiting to happen. I do wish you all the luck in the world though!

thank you,your comment is very helpful

How about:

"I'm a businessman looking for new oportunities, and Thailand is a strong market at the moment"

Trouble with that, is she might be a business development manager, or know a friend selling time-share, land, condo's, etc. ..... or she might just take it at face value, but then as soon as she gets to know you, it will become evermore difficult to conceal the lie.....

I'd be more inclined to go along the lines of "well, I have a sucessful business back in farang-land, but I have been to Thailand before and I liked the people a lot, so I thought I would like to move out here and try to settle down before making a permanent move here".

In a word,yes

thank you,your comment is very helpful

You are welcome! If you have integrity your only option, of course, is the truth. Operating on slightly less integrity you can avoid answering or answer with a vague 1/2 truth. Such as, "Having reached retirement age I am looking around for a place to settle down."

How about:

"I'm a businessman looking for new oportunities, and Thailand is a strong market at the moment"

Trouble with that, is she might be a business development manager, or know a friend selling time-share, land, condo's, etc. ..... or she might just take it at face value, but then as soon as she gets to know you, it will become evermore difficult to conceal the lie.....

Well that line will go down a treat in Nana, Patpong, Cowboy etc, etc

How about:

I'd be more inclined to go along the lines of "well, I have a sucessful business back in farang-land, but I have been to Thailand before and I liked the people a lot, so I thought I would like to move out here and try to settle down before making a permanent move here".

Thanks,basically thats how it is for me ( last paragraph) and I would like to say that, just all the opinions on the forums steer towards being totally vague about the personal financial position as it leaves one open to an ongoing" stitch up",I would much prefer to be open and honest I am just learning from you guys.

I have been to Thailand loads of times but never previously with a view to settling down.

Edited by strikingsunset

I must admit from what you've said you do seem to be easy prey so I think in your situation I'd evade the question should it arise and just say you are checking it out here but don't have a lot to spend.

If you then meet a woman whose fine with your lack of 'largesse' (in monetary terms) then you can build on it.

Don't show your hand too early! <_<

Married 10 years, still learning and still fighting but only sparring now :blink:

I must admit from what you've said you do seem to be easy prey so I think in your situation I'd evade the question should it arise and just say you are checking it out here but don't have a lot to spend.

If you then meet a woman whose fine with your lack of 'largesse' (in monetary terms) then you can build on it.

Don't show your hand too early! <_<

Married 10 years, still learning and still fighting but only sparring now :blink:

Thanks,that sounds great advice,of course I should have the nous to have worked this out already.

Just wanted to canvass the opinions from those of you who " have been there" and learned.

OP

ps,I think that`s enough on this I am not going to respond to any further posts on this topic,thanks.

Just tell the truth, they wont believe it anyway? They will have already labeled you a sexpat or expat or whatever, not that it changes the outcome.

she: Q.Why you like lady Thai?

you: A. errrm.. I love Thailand, Thai food and Thai girl very beautiful!

you: Q. So you don't have a boyfriend?

she: A. No hab now, I not like Thai man, Thai man no take care lady.

the bet is on the horse now!

The fact that she is talking to you means she is interested regardless of whether you are a bin man or a brain surgeon.

Most respectable Thai women not looking finance or romance wont even talk to a farang unless it is essential for work.

Just tell the truth, they wont believe it anyway? They will have already labeled you a sexpat or expat or whatever, not that it changes the outcome.

The fact that she is talking to you means she is interested regardless of whether you are a bin man or a brain surgeon.

Most respectable Thai women not looking finance or romance wont even talk to a farang unless it is essential for work.

Yes,this much I have learned,I agree with your views this is just how it is.

Thanks,OP.

Yes,this much I have learned,I agree with your views this is just how it is.

Thanks,OP.

In post 47 you said you were not going to respond to anymore posts. If you plan on settling here then you need to be decisive.