How To Interview Or Handle People Who Apply For A Job That Doesn'T Match The Job Position

Heres the deal, our company is hiring for a job in management in a sector of the tourism industry, but the requirements we have for the job and people who have been applying don't match at all. The reason I ask this question, our company is holding a job fair next month, and I'm to help out, from what I understand everytime a job fair is held lots of people apply, my question is when I get people who apply for the job but have no experience for the job position,

What are my opinions to tell these people without being mean?

The only thing I can think of is to accept their CV / resume and let them know if we have any available positions that open up in the future that match their qualifications, we will give them a call back.

I look forward to everyone's help, advice, or comments

Working in Asia we are lucky that we're still in a growth phase .... so you may have future needs that will suit the people who show an interest in your business at a job fare. A Job Fare is not just for your current vacancies.

So I think you are doing it right. Let them know that they don't suit this particular vacancy, but tell them you will keep their details and if a suitable position comes up you'll be back in touch.

And then really do this. Next time there's a job opportunity, look back at the people who took the trouble to contact you at the job fare. They may be a better bet than anyone you find by other means, because at least they had the initiative to find you.

Also - I've seen a few imaginative CV's in the past .... much better to recruit on ability and initiative than what you see on paper in my view. Training can always be provided on the job, but if a person does not have the right attitude you're a bit stuck.

Good luck.

OK firstly make sure you are making it very clear what the requirements are .. because many people in Thailand do a very poor job of that ... not preparing a proper job spec .. leaving many important things out, etc. This may be one reason why you are getting the wrong people applying.

Secondly, if you have the above handled ok then you are getting dopey or desperate people applying. Make it really simple with a line of questions and tick a box format, e.g.

1. Do you have a bachelors degree in business or communications? etc etc

You then state "unless you have ticked at least 8 out of the ten boxes above then we regret that you are not suited to this position - please do not proceed to the application stage. We thank you for your interest in our company and wish you well in your future job search"

Saying "we will hold you details and get back to you if something suitable comes up" is a patronising crock and everyone knows it is a crock. Unless people have gotten at least as far as the short-list then interview stage, then no-one will ever get back to them ... ever.

Happy recruiting

You then state "unless you have ticked at least 8 out of the ten boxes above then we regret that you are not suited to this position - please do not proceed to the application stage. We thank you for your interest in our company and wish you well in your future job search"

Saying "we will hold you details and get back to you if something suitable comes up" is a patronising crock and everyone knows it is a crock. Unless people have gotten at least as far as the short-list then interview stage, then no-one will ever get back to them ... ever.

I think the best way to handle the situitation is to simply say we will review your application and let you know. In case you have not figured out Thai culture yet, Thai's will lie shamelessly, so saying unless you can tick at least 8 out of 10 will get you absolutely nowhere. Every application will have all 10 boxes ticked.

Amazing Thailand... indeed.

Edited by WhizBang

Livinthailandos - My take is that a candidate with good management skills (i.e., organizing, administration, and communication) coupled with ability to learn and positive attitude can adapt himself or herself to any business discipline. If a company requires a management prospect with a specific prior experience related directly to the job position, it must be stated as such in the job specification.

Then the company will have a limited pool of available candidates. But the task of selecting the best candidate from those applicants will be simpler because the applicants already know the job.

Without specifying "only prior experience with the position needs to apply" the selection process will require scanning and analyzing those resume. It is a real work. The company will also need to have a good human resource (HR) personnel and a good internal training department to provide such functions in bringing in new employees.

And for those applicants without job experiences that you mentioned, I agree with you that you should “thank you” them for their interest in the company and tell them that you will keep their resume for consideration of future openings that may suit their qualifications. No, this is not a lie but a good business practice.

I wish you success in your quest to find the right people for a job for your company. It is not an easy task. I know – I’ve had my share of misery (fun?) several times in my previous life.

My 2 satangs. Cheers.

The way you plan to do it is the correct way, take the CV off them, tell them you need to review in detail and will be in touch if found suitable

This is the correct way to go.

You also might want to put some "small print" on the application form to the effect of "Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted."