Best Option For Excepting Payment Online

Hi guys,

Just made the the leap of faith and booked my one way ticket to Thailand today with the intention of living there for an indefinite amount of time. Probably forever if things work out the way I hope. I currently have a internet based business that has been running for the last few years that I will be continuing to run from over there. The website is already set up but there is one thing I am a bit worried about that I´m hoping maybe someone can help me with?

I sell various products to clients based all over the world and I need to set up an online payment facility to allow them to pay with credit card with the least amount of hassle possible! After reading the forum and seeing what everyone is saying about how best to do this i´m still a little confused as to the best way forward. I am thinking of openning a thai bank acount as soon as I arrive and then a paypal business account to link it to.

Is it possible to set up a business Paypal account in Thailand and receive credit card payment from clients? I have read conflicting stories where people are saying yes and no!

Is anybody currently doing this and is it working out for you?

Which Thai bank would you recommend going with to best link the paypal account to in order to transfer funds?

My turn over will probably be about 200.000 bht a month. Does anyone know what the Thai paypal limit is with regards to turn over?

I am saying Paypal as my choice of payment method basically because i´m not sure of any better alternatives! And I know pay pay allow you to charge in different currency's. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Would really appreciate some good advise!

Thanks a lot

John

You mean accepting right? Not excepting :whistling:

You can't accept payments without a work permit in Thailand. Actually, you need a company to accept payments.

I recommend you to open a company in Hong Kong (virtual office), open a bank account for your 1 person company and keep your money in Hong Kong. You can take money from ATMs in Thailand easily and you'll pay very little tax compared to other countries in Hong Kong.

Thank you for the tip on opening a company in Hong Kong i´ll start looking into that.

Just to clarify i would not be taking payments through a merchant account in Thailand. I would just be accepting payments through paypal and then transferring some of the funds to normal account set up in Thailand. The paypal account however would be a business account.

If your online business is already up and running how are you currently receiving payment?

If you are planning to set up a Paypal account to receive payments do it in your own country before you arrive here and then simply transfer the money to your UK bank account and then transfer it over using either telephone banking or internet banking.

Be aware that Paypal fees are pretty extortiante for receiving money, you may want to set up Google checkout or something similar, i don't know much about these but a quick search online for "accept payments online" will throw up some ideas.

It is possible to open paypal accounts here with Thai banks but unlike the UK where your normal ATM card is enough to open a account here it does not work like that, you will have to open a internet account and use that card, i would recommend Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn bank, both these banks issue cards that will work on the net but be sure to tell them that you need it to use for the internet or they will just issue you with the bog standard ATM card.

Hi Darrendsd, thank you for the reply.

I am currently working from the UK!

At present we mostly accept payment through a credit card machine and manually process the payments!. In the long term I would probably look at setting up the entire business from Thailand or possibly in one of the surrounding countries i.e. Hong Kong.

To be honest I have not looked into it too much as yet.

For the sort term, the ability to use an online payment method would be really useful. I did start looking on the Thai paypal website and found that the paypal premium option looks like it might work for me. They say that unlimited credit card transactions from clients is available as part of this option.

Do any of you use paypal premium in Thailand to accept payments from clients on credit cards?

Do I need any spacial papers or visas to persuade the banks mentioned above to give me the internet banking card?

As yet I do not have a work permit! I do however intend to find part time work in Thailand if possible to acquire the permit.

Thanks again for the replies.