Anyone Else Had That Extra Phone Line Wire Fitted?

Dellboy218

Good Day all

Some months ago TT&T (think it was them) came round this village on the Hangdong side of town fitting an extra 'twin' wire (looks similar to cat 5) paralleled alongside the normal phone line. Apparently this is supposed to help the internet, not really sure how it achieves this though(!) Power wise it is 'dead' with the original wire carrying the 50v. During recent heavy rain the phone kept dinging and the internet went off line. This turned out to be this extra line shorting down the original phone line. I tried reconnecting it a couple of days ago and the internet is on-off so it has now been disconnected again. I just wondered if anyone else has had this fitted and experienced the same sort of problems (David youre only a few hundred meters away in Wang Tan, any problems?).

No problems here, not sure if we have the same extra wire though. Internet has been solid for quite a while now.

David

Just wondered if anyone else had this wire fitted. I did have problems some months ago so I disconnected it, TT&T whoever turned up reconnected and pushed off. They spent a week doing the whole of this village. Never mind, get a bigger hammer!

Are you talking about the jack that 3BB installed alongside the phone jack (which used to be used for both telephone and Internet) about 8 months ago?

Nope, dont think so. (that sounds like a filter) They went round this village and ran extra wires everywhere so, instead of just one parallel twin coming to the house, I and everyone around here have two paralleled together, this new one looks limilar to a cat 5 cable. During heavy rains a week or so my phone line dropped to 0v until I disconnected this extra cable after which it went back to 50v. It is not shorting the line out at present bu over the past day or so the internet is on /off every few seconds so I have disconnected it again. Before I call the boys back, who will undoubtedly reconnect the wire and declare everything fixed I just wondered if anyone else has had this extra line installed.

Are you talking about the jack that 3BB installed alongside the phone jack (which used to be used for both telephone and Internet) about 8 months ago?

Nope, dont think so. (that sounds like a filter) They went round this village and ran extra wires everywhere so, instead of just one parallel twin coming to the house, I and everyone around here have two paralleled together, this new one looks limilar to a cat 5 cable. During heavy rains a week or so my phone line dropped to 0v until I disconnected this extra cable after which it went back to 50v. It is not shorting the line out at present bu over the past day or so the internet is on /off every few seconds so I have disconnected it again. Before I call the boys back, who will undoubtedly reconnect the wire and declare everything fixed I just wondered if anyone else has had this extra line installed.

I'm not talking about a filter. About a year ago when the 3BB spin off - or whatever - was approved, they came around to all the moobaans and ran cable and installed a jack just like you are talking about (no +50V) next to the phone jack. For the longest time you could go back and forth between the 3BB and/or TOT or TTT? and connect to the Internet with either one. There was no difference in the quality or speed of the connection whatsoever! Now the TOT or TTT ADSL signal is terminated. You don't need a filter on the 3BB connection because it is separate from the telephone connection. I can't imagine what else it could be or what use it would have.

Is 3BB your ISP?

As i read this

Before it was TT&T phone line and internet line,now 3BB have come along and installed their own internet line.

So if you dont want or need the phone line you can have it disconnected ans save yourself the standing monthly fee of 107 baht,i have done this in 2 houses and the internet line is working fine without the phone line

I'm not talking about a filter. About a year ago when the 3BB spin off - or whatever - was approved, they came around to all the moobaans and ran cable and installed a jack just like you are talking about (no +50V) next to the phone jack. For the longest time you could go back and forth between the 3BB and/or TOT or TTT? and connect to the Internet with either one. There was no difference in the quality or speed of the connection whatsoever! Now the TOT or TTT ADSL signal is terminated. You don't need a filter on the 3BB connection because it is separate from the telephone connection. I can't imagine what else it could be or what use it would have.

Is 3BB your ISP?

Yep 3BB is the one. Sorry I thought you meant just a connection jack in the house with nowt else. No, here they ran an extra wire to the house then paralleled it to the normal phone line outside. The wire itself is 'dead' (0V) I have tried using this by itself, phone and internet and obviously it does not do anything, it is just there as an annoyance. Unless of course they have left the other ends disconnected a puddle of water! It must be one of Whinnies redundant lines!

Is 3BB your ISP?

Yep 3BB is the one. Sorry I thought you meant just a connection jack in the house with nowt else. No, here they ran an extra wire to the house then paralleled it to the normal phone line outside. The wire itself is 'dead' (0V) I have tried using this by itself, phone and internet and obviously it does not do anything, it is just there as an annoyance. Unless of course they have left the other ends disconnected a puddle of water! It must be one of Whinnies redundant lines!

See post #6. That is your 3BB connection to the Internet. If you are using the other connection with +50V (phone line) then you are not using 3BB to connect to the Internet; you are using TOT or TTT. Here in Sansai I could use either up until about 3 months ago when they killed the ADSL from the TOT connection.

If you can't connect to the Internet with the jack that they installed then you need to contact 3BB and get a technician over. I'm surprised that you can still connect with TOT!

As i read this

Before it was TT&T phone line and internet line,now 3BB have come along and installed their own internet line.

So if you dont want or need the phone line you can have it disconnected ans save yourself the standing monthly fee of 107 baht,i have done this in 2 houses and the internet line is working fine without the phone line

Then how could you make a telephone call? What if there was an emergency?

Call the company and tell them to connect the internet to the line they added and then you have the phone only on the old line. Before they did that on mine there were big connectivity issues on the internet , always dropping.

Apparently the phone gives interference to the internet for some reason. Although for mine I used it perfectly OK for about a year before this started. But as soon as they separated it was OK.

But thats the thing, they never installed a jack. they parallelled the new line with the old phone line outside the house and pushed off. They have done the same with my neighbours. Perhaps the crew that came around this village were a few sandwiches short. I have called 3BB back since and all they have done is reconnected their line across the phone line outside the house. Everything works fine on just the phone line so I dont think I will bother going through the hassle of getting them back to just reconnect the same wire which shorts out when it rains. Thank you all anyway, it is nice to know what they should have done.

When mine was first done, they ran a line into the property (not house) with the little plastic box on it. The telephone one was right next to it. But telephone one of course had lines going into the house whereas the new one had nothing. They must of course then pushed off for morning coffee and left it. Although its highly possible we weren't home so house not accessible.

When they came to look at the internet problems (it was OK for a year) they then ran line into the house and the phone and internet were then on 2 separate lines .

When mine was first done, they ran a line into the property (not house) with the little plastic box on it. The telephone one was right next to it. But telephone one of course had lines going into the house whereas the new one had nothing. They must of course then pushed off for morning coffee and left it. Although its highly possible we weren't home so house not accessible.

When they came to look at the internet problems (it was OK for a year) they then ran line into the house and the phone and internet were then on 2 separate lines .

Thanks, looks like it might be the same then. Think I will leave it until it falls over!

See post #6. That is your 3BB connection to the Internet. If you are using the other connection with +50V (phone line) then you are not using 3BB to connect to the Internet; you are using TOT or TTT. Here in Sansai I could use either up until about 3 months ago when they killed the ADSL from the TOT connection.

If you can't connect to the Internet with the jack that they installed then you need to contact 3BB and get a technician over. I'm surprised that you can still connect with TOT!

For what it's worth, and living near Mae-Jo (but San Sai postal district), I'm still using TOT for both phone and internet, although the line has kept dropping, since the rains started.

For what it's worth, and living near Mae-Jo (but San Sai postal district), I'm still using TOT for both phone and internet, although the line has kept dropping, since the rains started.

Same as me then except the line has been solid since I ditched 3bb's wire from the connection box to leave just the phone line.

As i read this

This is, as I know correct, it all came about because TT&T fell out with 3BB, (I wonder what over) In Mae Taeng TT&T were actively going around and chopping out 3BB, 3BB have been busy now having to lay their own dedicated lines…..Have to say, the internet speed is fantastic here now, before it was positivelycoal driven.

Edited by Tonto21