Kimchi In Large Sizes?

timmyp

Where can I get a decent sized jar of kimchi? I've seen some tiny bottles (packed with preservatives) at some major foreign-oriented supermarkets, but I'm looking for the real deal. No added sugar, no added vinegar, and definitely no preservatives. I found a couple no-preservative jars at the Central Hall supermarket next to Mos Burger near Chit Lom station, but the jars were pretty tiny. Anyone know where I can get a big fat container, at least 1 liter in size? Even better-- any info on people making and selling kimchi in BKK? Kimchi is great, I consume it in the family-sized containers. Wish I could make my own, but that's not going to happen...

There are a number of Koreans living in Thonglor and have noticed that some restaurants sell kimshi by the kilo, there is one a little way into Thonglor on the left as you leave the BTS, near where the Thonglor local bus leave from, there is a sign in the window,

• 11 months later...

This post is plenty old, but I finally found a place that sells kimchi in larger portions.

I stopped by 3 Korean restaurants, and asked if they sold kimchi by the kilo for take-home. They clearly thought this was a bizarre question, so by the 3rd restaurant I felt stupid enough to just stop asking.

Months later, I was having lunch at Umma Dosirak on Sukhumvit Soi 49 yesterday, and aside from being very inexpensive, I noticed that they also sold large quantities of kimchi. Boxes weigh about 1 kilo, and cost 150 baht. An excellent, excellent deal. I'm thrilled. I hope my neighbors don't mind the smell.

Here's a link for anyone interested in picking up a decent-sized quantity of kimchi.

http://www.farangfriendly.com/bangkok/watthana/restaurants-korean/umma-dosirak-korean-restaurant-soi-49

This post is plenty old, but I finally found a place that sells kimchi in larger portions.

I stopped by 3 Korean restaurants, and asked if they sold kimchi by the kilo for take-home. They clearly thought this was a bizarre question, so by the 3rd restaurant I felt stupid enough to just stop asking.

Months later, I was having lunch at Umma Dosirak on Sukhumvit Soi 49 yesterday, and aside from being very inexpensive, I noticed that they also sold large quantities of kimchi. Boxes weigh about 1 kilo, and cost 150 baht. An excellent, excellent deal. I'm thrilled. I hope my neighbors don't mind the smell.

Here's a link for anyone interested in picking up a decent-sized quantity of kimchi.

http://www.farangfri...staurant-soi-49

Congratulations, TimmyP, kimchi is great. Sounds like your patience really paid off. Well done to you on finding the 2nd best kinchi offer in Thailand.

That's right, for a limited time only, the guys from the Pattaya Kimchi Company have a special offer on: One large size stoneware jar of their famous Thai kimchi, delivered to your home, for 200 baht! (And, if you can finish it in a week, they'll bring you another jar at no extra charge!) So, call now- don't get shut out! Supplies are limited. Gotta be the greatest kimchi promotion of all time...!

cool.png

post-72929-0-18981700-1338132109_thumb.j

Timmy.....Every Korean restaurant I have ever gone to sell kimchi by the kilo to anyone. Prices are between 150 and180 per kg. Maybe the ones you frequented never had foreigners coming in, as most Korean households make their own.

All of my Korean students make their own in Thailand.

I hope my neighbors don't mind the smell.

Lesson #1, a true Kimchi aficionado will always own a small (or large) second fridge or storage container. Either that, or I hope you don't store anything else in the same place where the kimchi is going. Especially dairy products. Ever had milk tainted with kimchi odor? It WILL get into everything.

But yeah, it's good to have. :)