Auctions In Chiangmai

Tonto21

Hi rikki, sorry I don't know what the cost is for bike, butI do know it's less than cars and pick-ups.

Yes HaleySabai….It's a diesel. The 'as is clause' yes, a bit of a concern, but if you buy near new, low miles, look at the condition, of the body and interior it will tell you a lot about the condition of what you can't see…….Near new, of course!

Edited by Tonto21

Thanks for the writeup. One question: Was it / will it be a hassle to get the car moved to Chiang Mai plates and into your name? I noticed it's got Chachoengsao plates, so it's remarkable to see it make it to a Chiang Mai auction. To get it moved to Chiang Mai, does this require going to the Chachoengsao transport office or can it be done in Chiang Mai?

Hi 'WinnieTheKhwai' Please have a read of post, #13 on this topic, I hope that answers some questions. This auction deals with finance company repos and the finance Co flogging them off to recoup some of their losses. The vehicles come from allover Thailand.

Right, so the question I have is if you can do the name change in Chiang Mai, or that you have to go to the province of registration of the vehicle.

Then as a second step, I would probably also want to change the vehicle to Chiang Mai plates.

Would you say most vehicles are registered in Chiang Mai and nearby provinces, or is it a complete mix of Thailand?

Most cars and pick-ups, (at the auction I went too) had Bangkok plates on, but they can come from anywhere in Thailand.

Name and plate change can be done at a local transport office to the new registered address of the vehicle.

my pickup has lamphun plates and i never bothered to change them

there is no need

you still do everything in cm ,like insurance and inspections

i understand that this is normal and legal for thais to just keep the plates

Hi Pikey,

They mention on here that there is a 7000THB admin fee as well as other fees???, I wondered if you had to pay this for each motorbike or is this only for cars? Cheers Stoni

I bought three small motorbikes there last year - all at a good price for the condition. I haven't been since but then you could go the day before and have a thorough look at the bikes. On auction day you had to register and pay a fee (500b I think) but nobody ever contacted me since. Like the OP said, a potentially good way of getting a good vehicle at a realistic price.

BTW, once I got the paperwork for the bikes they were all from the same finance company so it would follow that a lot of these bikes are repos and the finance co is flogging them off to recoup some of their losses.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Honda click i 1000 km on the clock 2011 model 33000 baht everything included like auction fees etc .

Nice one,now you very sexy man…. ...got a photo of your new toy?

I have an old Click, it's about 4 years old now...I knock the sh*t out of it, I go cross country on it and everything, I regularly ride into CM from Mae Taeng, I fancy a newish one, but why, this one is still a good runner. 'old man..Old bike' When I do buy it will be at an auction….It's the way to go!

Edited by Tonto21

If you know what you are doing it's no problems all you have to do is willing to pay a little extra for a low km bike as the reserve seems to be higher a bike thats only done 1000-7000 can't really have any problems.

...so this only apply to the "high end" group...can't save to much here,the dealers really know how much they are willing to pay...it means you pay 1000 Baht more what they are willing to pay...this can actually save you a 1000 Baht,if you would buy directly from them !!B)...or something like that...but it is fun to just bet...and win!:D

If you know what you are doing it's no problems all you have to do is willing to pay a little extra for a low km bike as the reserve seems to be higher a bike thats only done 1000-7000 can't really have any problems.

...so this only apply to the "high end" group...can't save to much here,the dealers really know how much they are willing to pay...it means you pay 1000 Baht more what they are willing to pay...this can actually save you a 1000 Baht,if you would buy directly from them !!B)...or something like that...but it is fun to just bet...and win!:D

Hi 'funcat' sorry I don't understand your logic here!

From what you're saying, if you out bid a dealer by 1000Baht…You have spent too much?

Do you think the dealers that buy at the auctions sell their bid-bikes for such a low profit? Dealer are all about the profit margins, you could in fact out bid a dealer by a fair amount….and still get a great deal…..So if you do actually out bid a dealer by only a few k, you should have a very good deal. Most auctions in Thailand are mainly frequented by dealers, not private purchasers.

The bike bought in this topic (#40) would sell on for at least 44000 Baht at least, without the dealer doing a thing to it…………….From what you are saying paying 44k as opposed to 33k is a safer option. How does that work?

However I understand if someone is unable to recognize a good deal when they see one……..How can you go wrong……1000k, 2011, you don't need to be a mechanic to see if the bike is any good. What are they new, 50k+?

Buying cars, pick-ups and bikes that are a few years old,yes you need to do some digging around, take someone who knows the score. But under a year old, 1000k on the clock and knowing the list selling price of the vehicles your bidding for……..Easy money!

Edited by Tonto21

I would ignore the clock/odometer and focus on other signs of wear and condition.

I'll probably go there for my next bike if I last longer than the one I own. GF of course would never consider a second-hand vehicle.

Thanks to all posters.

Hi all the bike mentione one i at 33000 totall was the onei bought and i will share experience with you

first the auction starts at 1200n hrs not 1100 so if you are there about 0900 hr s you have more than enought time to watch the bikes or cars there is a stock list available

it takes a little while but they will begin at nr one till the last one so pick a few lowest km bikes say 4 and bit the spread is about 2 bids so you pay about 2000 bath more than the reserve price

after that bring it to a mechanic and change the oil etc

i am quite happy with it and as funcat mentioned you have to be lucky but the asking price the shop is still 30000 bath for a 2009 click with 25000km on it so i think go the young low km bikes at the auction

They are low milage because they are repossessions and they are good bikes because the person didn't want to sell the bike they just couldn't afford to pay the credit so there for the company took the bike back and tried to get some of there money back .

From what you're saying, if you out bid a dealer by 1000Baht…You have spent too much?

Do you think the dealers that buy at the auctions sell their bid-bikes for such a low profit? Dealer are all about the profit margins, you could in fact out bid a dealer by a fair amount….and still get a great deal…..So if you do actually out bid a dealer by only a few k, you should have a very good deal. Most auctions in Thailand are mainly frequented by dealers, not private purchasers.

The bike bought in this topic (#40) would sell on for at least 44000 Baht at least, without the dealer doing a thing to it…………….From what you are saying paying 44k as opposed to 33k is a safer option. How does that work?

However I understand if someone is unable to recognize a good deal when they see one……..How can you go wrong……1000k, 2011, you don't need to be a mechanic to see if the bike is any good. What are they new, 50k+?

Buying cars, pick-ups and bikes that are a few years old,yes you need to do some digging around, take someone who knows the score. But under a year old, 1000k on the clock and knowing the list selling price of the vehicles your bidding for……..Easy money!

It all comes to "if you know what you doing" thing...dealers will not let you get something what they want so easy,it means they will bet against you,that makes the price to go up(and quick)...unless you want something nobody else want and if you try...(well,that's what I've heard anyway)somebody will get involved for sure just to make you pay more...

If you like something ,let the Thai dealer get it for less and just approach him after with a 1000 B more offer.He probably will be happy to make a quick profit...if not,there will be always another one...

"Easy money"??!!..maybe...easy(and quick) to spend...;)

I went to a couple of auctions in Bangkok before. Neither bike started and needed a new battery each 350 x 2 baht. So had to hire a truck to transport them 1500 baht.

The bikes ran well i saved money, but i could've gotten the same deal from looking at classifieds sites without the headaches.

I highly recommend not attending any Manheim auctions, they are over priced and will ban you if you change your mind about a bid.

The auction at Big-C is not Manheim so i think i may go take a look just for kicks.

It all comes to "if you know what you doing" thing...dealers will not let you get something what they want so easy,it means they will bet against you,that makes the price to go up(and quick)...unless you want something nobody else want and if you try...(well,that's what I've heard anyway)somebody will get involved for sure just to make you pay more...

If you like something ,let the Thai dealer get it for less and just approach him after with a 1000 B more offer.He probably will be happy to make a quick profit...if not,there will be always another one...

"Easy money"??!!..maybe...easy(and quick) to spend...;)

Sorry 'funcat' I still think your way off, I may be wrong,(no disrespect intended) but you seem to me, not to really know anything about vehicle auctions in Thailand and your information has been gained from 'bar fly' experts.

First the dealers are not there to get some farang to pay more for a vehicle.....Why, they will not get a cut of the money made from the sale!

Secondly you thinking the dealers are bidding emotionally……..Like a private buyer. To them a car,bike or pick-up is simply a commodity to sell on at a profit. They will stop bidding immediately the bid price hits there profit zone,

These car sales guys that are bidding are looking to tag at least 50K + to a car or pick-up and 10K+ for a bike profit and you think giving the guy the 'wink, a nod' and an offer of a 1000 Baht profit will cut it?

Fair enough, you have to keep your wits about you, but don't buy into all the bullshit you hear in bars. What you do is this; do your homework…….If you want a Click, check out the new click prices, and find the bikes you like at the auction, look it over, fix the price you are willing to pay, write it down the lot number and max price you will bid. Don't go over YOUR bid price. Easy! If you get into a bidding war you're a chump anyway and shouldn't be bidding!

Have you read the whole topic? :)

Edited by Tonto21

• 1 month later...

I suppose, like in America with all the recent flooding, beware of flooded cars is appropriate. Slick dealers in the US recondition them fast, and they run, but are prone to later electrical problems due to water soaking into the wiring and causing slow corrosion.

Replacing an entire wiring harness is almost impossible.

Here they say to look for new matts, over-perfumed (to hide the musty smell) and to bring a magnifying glass, and attempt to find uncoated steel (such as under a seat) that shows mild rust.

Nice thread.