New English Language Test

hi all just a quick question where is the new list for the english language test my gf is in the uk and goes back too bangkok the end of july i want her too take the test.

ive looked on the uk border web site but only tells u the companys in the uk am i missing somthing ? can u point me in the right direction ?

many thanks

Hi, here is a link. my girlfriend has just taken her A1 test. She used EMD. They were very good. She also took the pre test. My girlfriend said she was more confident with the exam after taking the pre test.

here is a link to the A1 test on you tube. it was helpful to go over this once or twice.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5A42B129484A0208

A1_Testing.pdf

We book these through our office and use a Bangkok based exam centre.

Hi Paul

Both me and Joy are still married and as happy as ever in the UK, just coming up for our 2 year anniversary and we always raise a glass to you for the help you gave us.

Just a quick question Joy recently passed the Life in the UK test (first time) does she still need to do this new english test or is the Life in the UK test enough? 23 months is up on the 5th Sept and I would hate to apply only to find out she should have done another test any information you or anyone can give will as always be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I hope Paul doesn't mind my answering you.

This new test is a requirement for all those applying for their initial settlement visa or for FLR as a spouse, fiance or partner since last November.

As your wife obtained her settlement visa before then and is now ready to apply for ILR she does not need it.

So, from last November:-

Settlement visa as a spouse; new test required.

FLR; new test required, unless already passed to obtain settlement visa.

ILR; LitUK test (or appropriate ESOL with citizenship course) required.

This new test is a requirement for all those applying for their initial settlement visa or for FLR as a spouse, fiance or partner since last November.

As your wife obtained her settlement visa before then and is now ready to apply for ILR she does not need it.

Thank you for answering so quickly I didn't think she would after studying for the Life in the UK but my wife has some thai friends here in london that always seem to know more than anyone else and told her she would have to take another test so I just wanted to clear it up for both of our peace of mind (mainly mine).

Thanks as always this is only place I come to get information I can trust.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, here is a link. my girlfriend has just taken her A1 test. She used EMD. They were very good. She also took the pre test. My girlfriend said she was more confident with the exam after taking the pre test.

here is a link to the A1 test on you tube. it was helpful to go over this once or twice.

http://www.youtube.c...A42B129484A0208

where did she take the pre test ?

http://www.youtube.c...A42B129484A0208

where did she take the pre test ?

EMD international, bangkok - they were very good. i think that they have been taken off the new list issued by VFS Global. But they may be still taking the test up to July, which will still be valid. maybe worth giving them a ring if you want your gf to take the test in next few weeks

edit - EMD will do the pre test the same day as the test. it is all over in about 2 hours. my gf took the pre test and found it useful. my gf learned some new words in the pre test that came up in the test - such as 'relatives'

Edited by kunash

ive read on here that theve been taken off my girlfriend is currently in the uk and isnt returning till the 23rd of july .just wanted try sort somthing out for her that is the same has your girlfriend took i cant find the new list for thailand

ive read on here that theve been taken off my girlfriend is currently in the uk and isnt returning till the 23rd of july .just wanted try sort somthing out for her that is the same has your girlfriend took i cant find the new list for thailand

23 july will be too late to take the EMD test in bangkok

i have done a little searching and here is the current list:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/45-new-list-of-english-language

23 july will be too late to take the EMD test in bangkok

i have done a little searching and here is the current list:

thanks ive seen this but it doesnt really tell u of the actual list for thailand when i was at the vfs in jan they had a list outside the office .it just seams to be abit vague at the moment

http://www.ukba.home...nglish-language

having read the most recent list i gave you, i agree yes. there are no test providers in Thailand. Which is odd.

I would go back to my original list I gave you, and phone each one and ask if they can provide the test. sorry i cannot be of further help. maybe send 7x7 a personal message. he will hopefully reply to you

There is a link on the 'How to apply' page of the UKVAC website to this list of approved test providers in Thailand.

thanks for the help just 2 more questions 1 ive read that the test provider EMD bangkok been taken off the list but its still on and 2nd question is it right she can take the test in the uk ? and wont they be funny if i put a settlement visa in and she,s takin the test in the uk

my head has been goin round and round with this english test bull****

i believe your gf can take the A1 test in the uk, even on a tourist visa. (she wont however be able to take a higher level tes, unless on a student or settlement visa ) - but A1 is fine.

i believe your gf can take the A1 test in the uk, even on a tourist visa. (she wont however be able to take a higher level tes, unless on a student or settlement visa ) - but A1 is fine.

She can sit any English test, including those that grade right up to native speaker level e.g. IELTS.

Proof of identity is required to sit any English test, not proof of immigration status.

As Bangkockney says, she can take any test she likes while in the UK as a visitor; what she cannot do is undertake a course of study.

So she could sit an exam, but not have any tuition for it.

From 17 July 2011, an EMD test can no longer be used to demonstrate English language ability.

The new list, in place from that date above, is here: http://www.ukba.home...glish-tests.pdf

Plenty of test centres in Thailand and UK.

What is her English level like now?

her english isnt bad a bit shy if doesnt know u when speaking i think am going to let her do the test in thailand .

the link only shows the uk where is the thai list for after 17th of july

many thanks for the help

Hi,

My wife did the BULATS (Cambridge) test a few weeks ago. Its offered through Vantage Siam on Rama9 in Bangkok and is included on the new list. Test was 5600baht and is made up of two tests, a speaking test and an online computer test for reading and listening. My wifes English is fine for speaking to me but she was worried about the computer test. After all the worry she did a lot better than she thought and achieved an A1 for the speaking and B1 for the reading and listening part

"the link only shows the uk where is the thai list for after 17th of july"

There isn't one yet. The link on the VFS Thailand website is still showing the old test centres.

Hi,

My wife did the BULATS (Cambridge) test a few weeks ago. Its offered through Vantage Siam on Rama9 in Bangkok and is included on the new list. Test was 5600baht and is made up of two tests, a speaking test and an online computer test for reading and listening. My wifes English is fine for speaking to me but she was worried about the computer test. After all the worry she did a lot better than she thought and achieved an A1 for the speaking and B1 for the reading and listening part

There isn't one yet. The link on the VFS Thailand website is still showing the old test centres.

did u just book it and your wife go do the test or she have some help and guidence?

Hi,

did u just book it and your wife go do the test or she have some help and guidence?

post 17, in this thread, will give you a link to the places in Thailand that offer the test. I would suggest you or your gf to phone each center and see what they say.

Hi,

How are you so sure it is on the new list yet say the new list has not yet been published?

Also, what I fail to understand is how UKBA could approve the BULATS test: you need a score of 0 - 19 to be graded at A1. In other words, you could do nothing for the entire test and still pass.

Highly irregular.

Thank you for answering so quickly I didn't think she would after studying for the Life in the UK but my wife has some thai friends here in london that always seem to know more than anyone else and told her she would have to take another test so I just wanted to clear it up for both of our peace of mind (mainly mine).

Thanks as always this is only place I come to get information I can trust.

Just to let you know, my wifes Thai friends tell her no end of utter rubbish , sometimes i think one person comes up with some rubbish and it spreads like wild fire . Personally i dont take any notice at all whatsoever of what my wifes mates said, if i did take notice i would be in a right mess.TB tests for visit visas etc , complete rubbish . Good luck.