Avocados In Thailand

There are a lot of Avocado here in the north.

The fruit for sale tends to be watery and tasteless,

but that's because of too much water to the tree,

and picking the fruit before it is ready.

Most any fruit is tasteless if it's picked early.

In season the fruit is abundant and cheap,

partly because there's a lot of it and partly because Thais don't know what it is.

Both can be solved with attention to detail.

With increased market demand for good fruit the supply will improve.

At a guess if the avocados are watery and tasteless i would suggest they are seed grown varieties and not grafted hybrids, altho i have also had some avocados off a seed grown tree which have been excellent. There is no consistency with seed varieties.

Usually ,if a couple of varieties are grown ,you can extend your harvest season - Feurte and Haas are two of the older common varieties that produce fruit in different months and have different characteristics, taste and appearance. Apparently there are some tropical varieties available now for the far north of Australia which may be suitable for Thailand.

If you are looking at Avocardos as a commercial crop then the emphasis would be on good drainage - Most avocardos will die because of root disease than anything else.

At a guess if the avocados are watery and tasteless i would suggest they are seed grown varieties and not grafted hybrids, altho i have also had some avocados off a seed grown tree which have been excellent. There is no consistency with seed varieties.

Usually ,if a couple of varieties are grown ,you can extend your harvest season - Feurte and Haas are two of the older common varieties that produce fruit in different months and have different characteristics, taste and appearance. Apparently there are some tropical varieties available now for the far north of Australia which may be suitable for Thailand.

If you are looking at Avocardos as a commercial crop then the emphasis would be on good drainage - Most avocardos will die because of root disease than anything else.

I hope this helps;

http://www.avocadoso..._PG_143-145.pdf

I learned that Thai do not like avocados for eating, but there is a demand for them in the cosmetic industry. It does not surprise me that the fruit is picked before ripe. That is the custom with many fruits here, so why think different about avocados.

I won't even get into the different varieties when trying to propagate the trees. They are both male and female, and the male flowers open at different times than the females on the same tree. It's an education to know which varieties match which varieties. For sure one must have at least 1 tree in the orchard with the others, that are different variety, but is a match for the others. Confused? Google explains it much better than I can.

On a side note, Japan has discovered the avocado, it is a big hit to mash it into a paste and mix with wasabi. I've tried that, and it is delicious.

Edited by featography

I learned that Thai do not like avocados for eating

I don't think this is true. Every supermarket stocks them. Restaurants such as Fuji have quite a range of dishes including avocados. What is ludicrous, though, is that the avocados in supermarkets are all imported, so expensive. I therefore suspect that as a commercial operation in Thailand the problem would be distribution of the product, rather than production.

Avocados are a crop in Thailand, and are grown commercially in other areas than the north.

There are quite a few varieties that do well here, with proper care.

The watery fruit mentioned in another post is grown by clueless people that do not eat it.

Very good fruit can be grown.

If you are serious; regardless of your location, find your way to the Pak Cheong agricultural research station.

In Thailand, it is the premier source for quality grafted avocado seedlings.

As a bonus they have a large orchard with countless varieties.

The avocado season starts , depending on the weather, around July.

Yes, you can import seedlings from the US; with proper phytosanitary certificates.

Regards

Edited by soidog2

Do you have a link or location to Pak Cheong agricultural research station.

I have 5 rai extra on a hill slope in Chaing Mai that I might to try out with avocados.

No web site, Call this number: 085872991 ( Thai Only )

Make an appointment, if you know what you want, and to find out what is in stock.

Edited by soidog2

We just bought a few kilos of avocados 8 km up the road to Pai from Mae Taeng and the wife is making salad as we speak. They're running about 30 baht a kilo up there and they look pretty good.

If you are serious; regardless of your location, find your way to the Pak Cheong agricultural research station.

[/u].

Regards

Soidog... Do you happen to know if they have pomegranate seedlings?

[/u].

Regards

Soidog... Do you happen to know if they have pomegranate seedlings?

No pomegranates, you may find them at fairs ETC in smaller towns, roadside nurseries.

Look for grafted ones to get good fruit.

regards

There are a lot of Avocado here in the north.

The fruit for sale tends to be watery and tasteless,

but that's because of too much water to the tree,

and picking the fruit before it is ready.

Most any fruit is tasteless if it's picked early.

In season the fruit is abundant and cheap,

partly because there's a lot of it and partly because Thais don't know what it is.

Both can be solved with attention to detail.

With increased market demand for good fruit the supply will improve.

WE -Thanks for you advice. One problem is my age- I will be probably dead before first avocados are harvested. Maybe I should grow sprouts.

the missus bought 5 in korat. they were grafted plants, well, at least 2 were. i saw no sign of grafting on the other 3. i asked her what variety they were but she didn't know. when i finally got around to putting them in the ground, i noticed a tag on one that said "booth 7". googled it and sure enough booth 7 is a variety.

has anyone ever tasted this variety?

tried to attach a photo of 2 of the plants, hope it works...

post-22396-0-79327500-1306429449_thumb.j

the missus bought 5 in korat. they were grafted plants, well, at least 2 were. i saw no sign of grafting on the other 3. i asked her what variety they were but she didn't know. when i finally got around to putting them in the ground, i noticed a tag on one that said "booth 7". googled it and sure enough booth 7 is a variety.

In my opinion, I like the Booth 7 avocado better than the local Hass variety...They are big...about the size of a softball and weigh over 1/2 kg each...

Stoneman

Found a web link for the Pak Chong Research Centre and here for Google Maps

Hope that helps. Planning a trip to Bangkok soon and would like to visit myself. MIL still fretting over what to plant in the field!

Yotspeed....

Many times the Research station will not have avocado plants for sale...The best place to find them is at a nursery along the highway...traveling from BKK, it is on the right hand side before you get to Pak Chong...just after you climb that long hill...His name is Narowit and his phone number is 081-547-4424...He should have a lot of avocado trees this year and several different varieties...

I grow all my trees from seed and when they are 2 years old, I haul them down to him and he grafts them for me...I have had very good luck with his grafting...Am just now putting out 75 trees that he grafted for my last July...

Stoneman

In my opinion, I like the Booth 7 avocado better than the local Hass variety...They are big...about the size of a softball and weigh over 1/2 kg each...

Stoneman

well, that's some good news. thanks for the reply.

now if i can just grow these things without killing them....

stoneman....without going into any great detail, could you just give me the basics on growing an avocado tree? i planted 2 close together (in the picture). a mistake?

thnx in advance.

Stoneman

stoneman....without going into any great detail, could you just give me the basics on growing an avocado tree? fertilizer? i planted 2 close together (in the picture). a mistake?

thnx in advance.

I just brought 3 kilos of avocado last week , my neighbors girl friend brought them from the Mai Sot area on the Burma border for 30 baht a kilo.. She buy them from a roadside stand, I beg to differ with you my wife and my oldest daughter just love guacamole (They are Thai).

The avocado was the size and shape of a Hass, also had the rough skin a Hass has, but not as rough skin and is a lighter color then the Hass.Also great taste.

Found a web link for the Pak Chong Research Centre and here for Google Maps

Hope that helps. Planning a trip to Bangkok soon and would like to visit myself. MIL still fretting over what to plant in the field!

Yotspeed....

Many times the Research station will not have avocado plants for sale...The best place to find them is at a nursery along the highway...traveling from BKK, it is on the right hand side before you get to Pak Chong...just after you climb that long hill...His name is Narowit and his phone number is 081-547-4424...He should have a lot of avocado trees this year and several different varieties...

I grow all my trees from seed and when they are 2 years old, I haul them down to him and he grafts them for me...I have had very good luck with his grafting...Am just now putting out 75 trees that he grafted for my last July...

Stoneman

Great - thanks for the heads-up Stoneman.

Stoneman

stoneman....without going into any great detail, could you just give me the basics on growing an avocado tree? i planted 2 close together (in the picture). a mistake?

thnx in advance.

Planting the trees fairly close together, assuming that they are an A and a B cultivar will work good...If the two trees you planted are both A's or both B's, you will have a very small, if any, crop...The normal A cultivar used in Thailand is the Australian or Phillipine Hass and there are a ton of B cultivars available(Booth 7 and 8 are my two favorites)...

Plant them in a well drained area away from any standing water...Root rot is the #1 killer of avocado trees...

During the dry season water them, at least, twice a week...get the soil wet all up under the full circumference of the tree...At the beginning of the rainy season fertilize them with a 50/50 mixture of 15/15/15 and 46/0/0...Reapply towards the end of the rainy season and a light sprinkle during the dry season...

About the only "bug" that they get is a white mite...very small and looks like powder on the branches...We spray the trees with "Paradon" when we see this...

Any other questions, let me know...

Stoneman

Planting the trees fairly close together, assuming that they are an A and a B cultivar will work good...If the two trees you planted are both A's or both B's, you will have a very small, if any, crop...The normal A cultivar used in Thailand is the Australian or Phillipine Hass and there are a ton of B cultivars available(Booth 7 and 8 are my two favorites)...

Plant them in a well drained area away from any standing water...Root rot is the #1 killer of avocado trees...

During the dry season water them, at least, twice a week...get the soil wet all up under the full circumference of the tree...At the beginning of the rainy season fertilize them with a 50/50 mixture of 15/15/15 and 46/0/0...Reapply towards the end of the rainy season and a light sprinkle during the dry season...

About the only "bug" that they get is a white mite...very small and looks like powder on the branches...We spray the trees with "Paradon" when we see this...

Stoneman

thanks for that, much appreciated.

i hope i have success, cause i love avocados. maybe in a couple years? i was reading where the booth 7 variety is a good producer. do they taste similar to the hass variety?

Stoneman

thanks for that, much appreciated.

i hope i have success, cause i love avocados. maybe in a couple years? i was reading where the booth 7 variety is a good producer. do they taste similar to the hass variety?

Taste and consistency is very close to a Hass, but not quite as oily ans about twice the size...

Stoneman