Uk Settlement Visa Question

Hi

we went to the police hq in bangkok yesterday to get a police certificate for my girlfriend. however, my girlfriend forgot some important papers so she could not get it.

this would be for a settlement visa which we will apply for in July. we do have an older police certificate ( from november 2010 ) - this may well be out of date for when we apply for settlement, but maybe we could put that in the application.

my girlfriend will not work in the uk.

do they require a police certificate for uk settlement visa please?

thanks

You obviously move in very different circles to myself.

Where I live there is a large immigrant population, from Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe; but most of the type of person you mention are, if court reports are to be believed, British.

You obviously move in very different circles to myself.

Moving in different circles infers that the people I mentioned are part of my own, personal, circle. Why the negativity and inference? Simply, I live in London - in a very nice circle, thank you. However, I am aware of my surroundings and, unfortunately, within the UK atleast the major cities has a high percentage of foreign undesirables. Obviously is it different to where you, I think you need to revisit my initial point, I was refering to the UK as a whole not your corner.

Where I live there is a large immigrant population, from Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe; but most of the type of person you mention are, if court reports are to be believed, British.

Im sure you know that 14% (10,097) + of the prison population is now foeign, or was the last time I looked into it ? And that Poland, for example, sends a military plane on a weekly basis to pick up just Poles fleeing from the Polish courts. The MET deports in excess of 400 crims a month on that basis, as runners from their own countries. Its a fair assumption that these pople are committing crimes here also. Of course, if the prison population demographics is to be believed.

I'd say that's good reason to think that it would be wise to have folks seeking a visa to have a police check and there to be a tier of crime which results in a refusal.

Edited by fatpig

1) I haven't checked the figures, and will accept yours. If 14% of the prison population is foreign, 86% must be British! Proves my point, I think.

2) Whether what you say about Polish criminals is correct or not, it doesn't help your case. Poland is part of the EU and so Poles are not subject to the immigration rules.

3) Immigration rules Para 320(18)

save where the Immigration Officer is satisfied that admission would be justified for strong compassionate reasons, conviction in any country including the United Kingdom of an offence which, if committed in the United Kingdom, is punishable with imprisonment for a term of 12 months or any greater punishment or, if committed outside the United Kingdom, would be so punishable if the conduct constituting the offence had occurred in the United Kingdom;
Applicants are asked if they have any convictions on the application form and the declaration they sign makes it clear that checks may be made on anything they have submitted with the application; including the answers to the questions on the form. The UKBA do make checks on this matter, though I have no idea in what percentage of applications.

Once in the UK an immigrant can have their leave to enter or remain revoked and so be deported if convicted of an offence; even if they have ILR. Even naturalised citizens can have their citizenship revoked and be removed from the UK if the offence is serious enough.

4) The UK is not awash with foreign criminals; despite what the Daily Mail says!

I think it's quite sad that you came on this forum for good quality Free information, and ur going into debate with one of the best moderators Thai visa has ever had, the work 7by7 does for all us inexpierenced people is amazing you've got the correct information. Not even a thankyou.

I know that a Thai police certificate (confirming no criminal record in Thailand) is not required for a visa application, but can anyone think of a reason for it being useful to obtain anyway, before one's partner comes to UK to settle?

Thanks

Edited by Contractor

Working with kids etc

Anything needing a CRB check.

I know that a Thai police certificate (confirming no criminal record in Thailand) is not required for a visa application, but can anyone think of a reason for it being useful to obtain anyway, before one's partner comes to UK to settle?

Thanks

Working with kids etc

Anything needing a CRB check.

Thanks

Interesting point. Thank you.

Rgds