Are There Any Garden Centres In Bangkok?

I'm surprised there doesn't appear to be any garden centres in bangkok. i mean garden centres like in australia where you can have coffee and find a complete range

of garden products. Interested in any feedback whether it might do well in bangkok.

The Garden Centres in Oz you refer to charge a premium price for plants because of the privige of having a coffee and cake. I would head over to Chutachuk or look around that neighbourhood like the others have suggested to get at least reasonable prices for your gardening needs, then go to a coffee shop on the way home.

There is a street right off the river boat where i used to go shopping for plants. No where for coffee but lots of shops. Loot for the boat stop at Thewet. The shops start almost as soon as you get off the boat.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Do you think the idea of a one stop garden centre would do well in Bangkok?

There is wealth in Bangkok and maybe these people are prepared to pay a little

more for good service,convenient car parking and an enjoyable experience.

There are lots of expensive gated communities in bangkok,where do the people

living here get their plants,potting mix and water features?

look forward to getting people's thoughts.

I love walking around garden centres in the UK. I really don't think they would work here because plants need care and attention to look good. Most plant shops here are small and there are always a few manky plants in there somewhere. A large garden centre would turn into a jungle within a year.

as dddave said 'Wednesday and Thursdays are garden days at Chatuchak;a huge array of plants, trees, pots ect.'

everything you could want ... and cheap /

Absolutely. Great opportunity for a national chain to be developed - have always thought so since coming here. Betcha' there will be one within 5 years. Or maybe one of the DIY chains will realise there is add-on potential.

There are always those who say it won't ever happen in Thailand because .... , but your average smart local entrepreneur would snort in the face of such negativity.

The competition to Chatuchak - which is dirty and over priced - is called Sanamluong 2. This market is not only clean and really cheap, but has a huge range of trees, plants, flowers, fish and garden supplies/accessories. Also has a large 2nd hand market Sat and Sun. Open 7 days. Many food places.

Plenty of cheap parking there. Can be bussed from town but a Taxi at 200 to under 300bht would be less drama. You will never see all of it in a day.You will rarely see Falangs either - yet....I live not far from it, so PM me if ya need a Thai speaking guide.

• Like 1

I live in Phra Khanong off Sukhumvit Soi 71, a working class, predominately Thai neighborhood; certainly in no way "upscale".

Just on that four KM stretch of "71", I can think of at least 5 garden centers selling potted plants, trees and shrubs, soil, fertilizer, pots and garden tools at very low prices. Just last week I purchased five 10Kg. bags op potting soil for B100. I imagine most neighborhoods are the same. I think it would be a very tough business to break into and make a decent profit.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

For soil/pots and such there are mobile trucks visiting most housing areas at least weekly so you open the gate and buy. Tools are available at Lotus/Big C/HomePro and such. For plants you can drive and stop when you see what you like (there are literary thousands of places on many roads selling plants - all over the country).