Learning To Drive In Thailand...

Khun Bob

Hi

I'm going to be in Thailand for a while and would like to learn how to drive here. I've found a few driving schools and the prices close to where i live seem quite reasonable - about 2000 baht for 10 hours in a manual car. I would like to have a go at getting a thai driving licence - I have a non-imm visa.

I had a go at passing the UK test about 10 years ago and failed, but still have a valid licence (to learn) from then

There are a few questions i have :

* I presume it would be best to do some sort of a trial lesson first as I have no idea what the car or the instrucor would be like - i need to find out how well we can communicate as i think this will make a big difference. Do you have any comments, advice or experience to share in this area

* I live in a 'quieter' (ie not as busy as pratunam) part of bangkok - i guess that middday may be a good time to go out as it is not the busiest - but there must usually be a few quiet sois where you can do alot of the stuff

* The price i have found, is that a reasonable price ? It seems so to me as i am comparing to the UK and to a price i found at a driving school in pratunam

* Is it usual for thai learner cars to have some sort of dual control - or does the instructor just grab the wheel and hand brake in the event of an impending problem ?

* I wonder if it is possible to get an international driving licence once i have a thai driving licence that would then let me drive in the UK ?

Look forward to your replies...

I think it would be a viable business opening up a UK/International standard driving school in Bangkok/Thailand.

Joe Somchai driving school down the road teaches you the bare minimum standard, and can set bad habits for life. Just see my missus drive!!!!

Lot's of wealthy Thai/Chinese families would go for it before unleashing their darlings on the road in their new Merc SLK (5 million Baht!!!) Also the international school crowd would probably go for it to. Their parents will pay to for the right driving education (1-2K an hour I reckon), can save lives in the long run!!

Just need to hire a UK/Aussie driving instructor (same side of the road), get him to train up a couple of Thais to a decent standard, get a couple of new/very new cars, and market to the right market. You can then train them to drive properly in either English or Thai!!!

Better than opening a bloody bar, I'd do it myself, but got my hands full.

• 2 weeks later...

Khun Bob, I can't offer much either but I CAN tell you my Thai wife had driving lessons and she knew NOTHING after spending the money and taking the lessons. As far as myself, I came from the US and I was really confused with driving on the "wrong" side of the road and the steering wheel being on the "wrong" side. LOL! I learned by just doing it. The biggest problem I had was learning to shift gears with my left hand. I still don't know which side the turn signal is on. A lot of times I turn on the windshield wipers. LOL. Good luck. It's really not that difficult.