True Move Launching Samsung Galaxy S Ii

george

Just to reiterate im going on pure speculation. The Captivate, Vibrant , Epic, and Fascinate (all galaxy S variations) were never marketed as a quad band UTMS phones, Samsung and countless other sources all specify that the SGS2 is equipped with a quad band UTMS radio. Also now that there is a sim unlock provided by XDA it seems that carriers are not changing the radios on the phone just the ROM's. The only information i can find about the i9100T and i9100 versions of the phone are from Thai blogs which im sure are very poorly translated by google, ( I can not read Thai). Anyways unless Samsung rep's cruise TV forums and provide an answer we will all just have to wait until the phone is released. But it still makes me wonder what version the Samsung store will sell. If you could provide some links or info about the i9100T and i9100 versions i would greatly appreciate it.

UPDATE: apparently entering *#2263# into the phone allows you to select the radio frequencies

I'm pretty sure you are not deliberately trying to mislead people with your posts; we'll just chalk it up to naive exuberance. I still think it's safe to say there are two different SGS2 models currently being made available here: i9100T and i9100 - WCDMA / HSDPA Dual Band (850/2100 MHz: for True Move and DTAC model i9100T) or (900/2100 MHz: for the AIS version i9100). And yes, they have different 3G hardware, and an 850/1900/2100 cannot be "flashed" to become a 900/1900/2100 unit. Service providers and country subsidiaries are responsible for forecasting and orders for 3G models; Samsung builds the appropriate unit based on those forecasts/orders. They need to keep costs down so are not putting in quad-band radios. Again, I would strongly recommend you buy the correct unit for your current and projected (I know this is challenging) needs.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S variant: Captivate with 850/1900/2100 3G. I can both see and select WCDMA 900 in my service menu, but it doesn't work. I think these service menus really confuse people and start the rumors flying. We've been down this road quite a few times already.

Lastly, regarding locked phones, we are not "seeing the trend take hold here". There is no trend, no inkling of a trend beginning and no way this would ever work here. The SGS2 is a hot phone and I think we should be pleased that there are models for for both True/TOT and AIS. The original SGS did not support True/850; hence those of us who wanted one had to go for the Captivate (from AT&T).

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (AT&T), 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G, using SGS Tools (also *#*#197328640#*#* gets you into the Engineering menus)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to update, MBK is now selling the US and Hong Kong versions of this phone between 21,900 - 24,000. I'm still waiting for the official release of the phone, but no one seems to know, including the Samsung retail shops. Speculating sometime in July...

Just to update, MBK is now selling the US and Hong Kong versions of this phone between 21,900 - 24,000. I'm still waiting for the official release of the phone, but no one seems to know, including the Samsung retail shops. Speculating sometime in July...

Current chatter points to July 1 ~ 15. (Specifically saw "on or about July 10-11" in one thread.)

US versions??????

Current chatter points to July 1 ~ 15. (Specifically saw "on or about July 10-11" in one thread.)

I'm pretty sure you are not deliberately trying to mislead people with your posts; we'll just chalk it up to naive exuberance. I still think it's safe to say there are two different SGS2 models currently being made available here: i9100T and i9100 - WCDMA / HSDPA Dual Band (850/2100 MHz: for True Move and DTAC model i9100T) or (900/2100 MHz: for the AIS version i9100). And yes, they have different 3G hardware, and an 850/1900/2100 cannot be "flashed" to become a 900/1900/2100 unit. Service providers and country subsidiaries are responsible for forecasting and orders for 3G models; Samsung builds the appropriate unit based on those forecasts/orders. They need to keep costs down so are not putting in quad-band radios. Again, I would strongly recommend you buy the correct unit for your current and projected (I know this is challenging) needs.

Actually, according to the Samsung web site they ARE putting in quad band radios in to the Galaxy 2:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100

Cheers,rudi

Actually, according to the Samsung web site they ARE putting in quad band radios in to the Galaxy 2:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100

Cheers,rudi

Yes, no question that we all expected the Samsung Galaxy S II to have 850/900/1900/2100 Mhz 3G support in each and every variant. And yes, most websites mention this quad-band 3G capability.

What appears different is the two different model numbers; i9100 and i9100T. Maybe both of these support four 3G bands, but until we know for sure those considering a blind purchase should make sure you get the model which currently supports the 3G network(s) you might require in the event that only three 3G bands are supported. This may end up being a non-issue; I just don't want someone to potentially buy the wrong version.

Edited by lomatopo

18,900 from TGFone http://www.tgfone.co....php?my_id=1357

Hey, TGFone has the phone in stock now? or are you just posting the retail price of the unit?

I believe mark_usa is referring to grey-market imports from the U.S. and/or Hong Kong.

I was specifically referring to localized product.

The phone aint released in the US tough. Maybe he meant the UK.

I find it strange that they can sell imports under the European price range, in Europe the Galaxy S2 goes for 30 000 bath.

Hey, TGFone has the phone in stock now? or are you just posting the retail price of the unit?

A colleague said there was two places that had it in our local mall and one of them was TGFone.

A colleague said there was two places that had it in our local mall and one of them was TGFone.

Wich mall is this?

Checked again today and something got lost in translation first time round, none in stock but can order with delivery in '2-3 weeks'.

Price of 18,900 is pretty good when you consider it will be 24,000 in America and 25,000+ in UK.

Edited by Phil Conners
botched quote deleted

Price of 18,900 is pretty good when you consider it will be 24,000 in America and 25,000+ in UK.

Agreed. This MSRP is much, much lower than was expected (~ 22,900 was the expected MSRP). I guess we're waiting to see what, if anything, is different in the this local Thai version. I can see a lot of units getting 'exported' given the arbitrage advantage, if pricing holds as is?

FWIW, a seemingly large number of people are complaining about a yellowish cast on the left 1/3 of the SGS2 display.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1079444

Maybe best not to read about this? Or the other issues? ;)

This is why im sceptic about bying a imported phone without warranty, if i spend 20k on a tech product i want the warranty. Imo the SGS2 dont have many issues, read the LG Optimus 2x forum and you will see problems...

FWIW, a seemingly large number of people are complaining about a yellowish cast on the left 1/3 of the SGS2 display.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1079444

Maybe best not to read about this? Or the other issues? ;)

This is why im sceptic about bying a imported phone without warranty, if i spend 20k on a tech product i want the warranty. Imo the SGS2 dont have many issues, read the LG Optimus 2x forum and you will see problems...

To be honest, looking at all the pictures of the screens in that thread, i dont see the problem. Some people post and say that they cannot see it with their "naked eye" but they see it if they take a picture of the screen with a camera, i mean <deleted> is the problem then?

Some people say the problem goes away if they have more then 30% brightness setting.

Edited by SweRob

Checked again today and something got lost in translation first time round, none in stock but can order with delivery in '2-3 weeks'.

Carphone Warehouse quoted me a price of 500 GBP for their Galaxy S2 - unlocked (but not in stock)

O2 quoted their price as 399 GBP - locked but also not in stock in the store I checked.

Edited by rak sa_ngop

I bought the S2 on 6th June from MBK. Think they had just got them. Manual was in Swedish I think but downloaded the English Manual from the website

Paid 23k for it but I've been waiting so long for this I just could not resist as I am a huge gadget freak

So I have gone from iphone 3GS to Android and so far am not missing ios (I still have my ipad for the ios apps and games)

After a weeks use I have to say it is by far the best phone I've ever had. I got a 32gb micro-SD card for it yesterday and have been filling it with apps, MP3 and cartoons for the kids

Everything you have read about this phone is true and I love being free from itunes

"back-up" apps are readily available from many sites and easily installable with no need to jailbreak ala iphone

Sygic GPS map of Bangkok is amazing and the augmented reality Bangkok app is great to show the features of the phone - just select what you want to show (pubs, tourist sites etc) and turn the camera on and the GPS of where all the places are appear on the camera with distance)

Definitely jealous you have the phone in hand already. I was tempted, too. Lowest price I found at MBK was 21,900. But after my experience with my current HTC phone, which was also an import, it turns out I have to send it to Hong Kong for service, which is a hassle. So in the end, decided to wait for the Thailand release.

Does anyone have any updated info? Still supposed to be the 10th of July?

I wonder if it will be for sale at this mobile show???

Local chatter has the first SGS2 units, those pre-subscribed, being on hand ~ 8 July 2554 "onwards", so yes it will be for sale at this show. And perhaps no, you will not be able to take it home. Maybe you'll just leave a ~ 5,000 baht deposit?

The SGT 10.1 has the same 8 June availability.

Edited by lomatopo

Am I the only one that finds it a bit strange that the Galaxy S2 is priced so much cheaper in Thailand than other markets? Rumors are going around that Samsung will launch a lower priced i9103 model with a Super Clear LCD (instead of Super Amoled +) and Tegra 2 processor (instead of Exynos). Could that be what they're launching here? I, for one, am mostly hooked on the Galaxy s2 because of the great screen, so that would be a deal-breaker for me, I'd have to settle for an import model. Any thoughts?

I was at the mall today so i decided to pop into jaymart and the samsung store and ask about the phone, both stores are asking for a 1000 baht deposit and then you can pick up the phone July 12. The samsung store is also giving away a free Paul Smith hat if you reserve the phone. Both stores are offering two different models one for 850 and one for 900. I tried to get them to give me the model numbers but they didnt know. Both have a 1 year warranty and both are priced at 18,900. Also they said they will only be taking reservations next week at the mall bangkapi mobile expo. This sort of frustrates me because im really curious if the phones are the same model but the software is limiting which frequency they operate on or if they are two separate models which lack the quad band radios. I guess we will just have to wait and see.