Is It Acceptable To Present A Photo Of A Thai King As A Gift?

sb1983

I heard that Thai people love their King very much. Is it polite/acceptable to present a photo of his majesty King to them? Samples below.

img54473.jpg

img54471.jpg

Edited by sb1983

perfectly fine to do that. I would ditch Vladimir Putin though and just get the King on his own or with his wife . That would be a lot better.

remember when my first kid was born and I was waiting outside the delivery room and a guy came round selling big A1 sized pictures of the King for 100 baht . The perfect gift at such a time.

I think it's an option, so as long as you are very confident not to make a mistake in the way it's framed or handled in any way. Or the actual picture; for example the top picture shows Mr. Putin a little more prominently than His Majesty; I wouldn't pick that one. As for mistakes in framing or handling, for the life of me I can't think of an example, but it's remarkable the way foreigners can find an imaginative cultural faux pas in some way. Personally I probably wouldn't do it though unless I knew the political color of the recipient. In general I think it's better for foreigners to just stay away from anything royalty related, though of course you would show due respect when appropriate.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think it's an option, so as long as you are very confident not to make a mistake in the way it's framed or handled in any way. Or the actual picture; for example the top picture shows Mr. Putin a little more prominently than His Majesty; I wouldn't pick that one. As for mistakes in framing or handling, for the life of me I can't think of an example, but it's remarkable the way foreigners can find an imaginative cultural faux pas in some way. Personally I probably wouldn't do it though unless I knew the political color of the recipient. In general I think it's better for foreigners to just stay away from anything royalty related, though of course you would show due respect when appropriate.

Very interesting and very good advice...

JH

Do you give that sort of gifts in your home country too?

Not every Thai thinks the same.

Since Thai people love His Majesty King very much, I don't want to be rude or harm their feelings, that is why I asking before doing anything related to Royal Family.

Some Russian companies put a photo with a president in frame on a wall, so to present a photo with president as a gift is acceptable and some people do this. Government organizations can present their own flags to other organization or person, actually it is not a flag, I don't know English equivalent for this word (pennant maybe is a correct word for that). Here is the sample of such flag of intelligence service.

35905292.jpg

There is no any law about disrespect president or anything like that in Russia. If any Russian person will use a photo of president as a toilet paper no one will put this person in a prison.

Edited by sb1983

My friend who owns a Thai restaurant in the UK, wants a picture of The King and Queen of Thailand would it be ok to travel with it. through the airport if not to big.

Many pictures of HM the King or King Chulalongkorn around in Thai restaurants all over the world.

I would suppose this is ok!

Do you give that sort of gifts in your home country too?

Not every Thai thinks the same.

Since Thai people love His Majesty King very much, I don't want to be rude or harm their feelings, that is why I asking before doing anything related to Royal Family.

Some Russian companies put a photo with a president in frame on a wall, so to present a photo with president as a gift is acceptable and some people do this. Government organizations can present their own flags to other organization or person, actually it is not a flag, I don't know English equivalent for this word (pennant maybe is a correct word for that). Here is the sample of such flag of intelligence service.

35905292.jpg

There is no any law about disrespect president or anything like that in Russia. If any Russian person will use a photo of president as a toilet paper no one will put this person in a prison.

I think that you are not right that in the Russian Federation there is no such a law. Check Article 319 of the Russian Criminal Code. Article 319. Insult of a Representative of theAuthority. Public insult of a representative of the authority during the discharge by him of his official duties, or inconnection with their discharge,shall be punishable by a fine in the amount upto 40 thousand roubles, or in the amount of the wage or salary, orany other income of the convicted person for a period of up to three months, orby compulsory works for a term of 120 to 180 hours, or bycorrective labour for a term of six to twelve months. See the reference onchanges of Article 319 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. This law is widely applied to the cases of an insult of the president, prime-minister, policemen or any other official.

This law is widely applied to the cases of an insult of the president, prime-minister, policemen or any other official.
At least no one will put me in jail for ten years.