Thai Students Ranked 8th In Classroom Manners

Thai students ranked 8th in classroom manners

BANGKOK, 25 May 2011 (NNT) – Thailand has been included in the list of top ten countries whose students have the very best classroom manners, according to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

Japan was found to have students with the best classroom manners, followed by students from Kazakhstan, China (Shanghai), Hong Kong, Romania, South Korea and Azerbaijan. Thailand was ranked eighth in the list, followed by Albania and Russia.

It can be seen that seven out of the ten nations are in Asia while the other three are in Europe. Among the rest on the list, England was in the 28th place, above France and Italy.

The study conducted in 2009 found that students worldwide talked or interrupted classes less compared with those in 2000. It was earlier worrying that students worldwide would talk or interrupt classes more; however, the survey has proven that students have improved their manners.

In addition, the survey implied that China has become one of the superpowers in education with both Shanghai and Hong Kong included in the top ten.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-25 footer_n.gif

Is this survey for schools only? Do most of the Thai kids become misbehaved when they start university?

They chat on phones, answer phones, talk to each other, walk off in the middle of the class to smoke, are absent every other day, come to class late, don't do their assignments, and some even apply/ repair their make-up in class among lots of other things. And all this in the middle of a lecture.

It will be a bad thing to generalize as I have had a few really good Thai students. But on an average they tend to be as I mentioned earlier.

Is this survey for schools only? Do most of the Thai kids become misbehaved when they start university?

They chat on phones, answer phones, talk to each other, walk off in the middle of the class to smoke, are absent every other day, come to class late, don't do their assignments, and some even apply/ repair their make-up in class among lots of other things. And all this in the middle of a lecture.

It will be a bad thing to generalize as I have had a few really good Thai students. But on an average they tend to be as I mentioned earlier.

If the kids are displaying this sort of behaviour it must mean that they are no longer kids anymore....sounds like they have become bonafied thai adults :whistling:

would talk or interrupt classes more;

means:

- do not ask the teacher any questions

- no discussion about anything

- no putting question marks behind any statement

Only keep silent and listen.

What the results are of these.. just look around in Bangkok and the rest of Thailand, and ask yourself the question: why so many expats still work in Thailand on higher brain using levels, and Thais abroad only in hand working functions.

Well mannered or terrified.

Discuss.........

usually thai kids r well behaved. usually it's the working class and the straight A kids that r behaving the best. quite a few classes i had so far ranked definitely among the best, but i also had some of the worst ever!

Do you teach at Asian U?

BS... They sure didn't include Government School English Classes with a Farang Teacher!!!

I speak with Authority!

CS

Possibly if you had spoken with convincing authority you wouldn't have had the problem.

I started teaching in inner-city Chicago and went on to teach in Africa, the Middle East and Pakistan. Each place presented different sorts of challenges, whether teaching at the secondary or tertiary level, but inevitably the behavior of the students depended more on the teacher than the socio-economic or cultural background of the students. Certainly the most motivated were the education-hungry Africans and the least motivated were the young men from extremely wealthy families in Dubai, but a teacher has to do more than simply spew his/her supposed wealth of knowledge and hope it sinks in.

Possibly students should be expected to perform in an teacher-approved manner to make teaching as easy as possible but they rarely do. That's why there is a difference between student-centered and teacher-centered education. The latter is certainly less taxing on teachers and tends to generate the most "If only I had student who ..." excuses.

IS someone trawling the world wide web to find obscure research projects where Thailand comes in at the Top 10, and then try to window dress the results for propaganda? For example: oh wow, Thailand is in the top 10 in the world for milking coconuts, therefore it justifies our education budget (and also we can ignore all fundamental problems relating to the education system) since we have produced such high-achieving coconut milkers which is now internationally recognised by this well known research.

Note to self: must check out if the OECD really did such a study and if so, in what context. :whistling:

BS... They sure didn't include Government School English Classes with a Farang Teacher!!!

I speak with Authority!

CS

Possibly if you had spoken with convincing authority you wouldn't have had the problem.

I started teaching in inner-city Chicago and went on to teach in Africa, the Middle East and Pakistan. Each place presented different sorts of challenges, whether teaching at the secondary or tertiary level, but inevitably the behavior of the students depended more on the teacher than the socio-economic or cultural background of the students. Certainly the most motivated were the education-hungry Africans and the least motivated were the young men from extremely wealthy families in Dubai, but a teacher has to do more than simply spew his/her supposed wealth of knowledge and hope it sinks in.

Possibly students should be expected to perform in an teacher-approved manner to make teaching as easy as possible but they rarely do. That's why there is a difference between student-centered and teacher-centered education. The latter is certainly less taxing on teachers and tends to generate the most "If only I had student who ..." excuses.

Well you obviously haven't tried to teach unmotivated Thai high school students in a 50 student government classroom, with no A/C and students running around shouting just outside your room.

Oh... did I mention they don't care about your grade, because they know thy they can't fail anyway... or that they have no reason to speak English, because they only care about Thailand, and why should they learn to peak a farang language... Nor do their Parents care... Because there lovely Brilliant children bring home passing grades anyway, never mind that they couldn't pass an Elementary English exam from any Western country.... And it's good that they automatically pass, because it would be almost impossible to really pass a Thai English exam, because they are written by Thai English Teachers, who can't converse in English, and the questions are out of context so there are usually 2 or 3 correct answers to every Multiple-choice question, BUT the only Correct answer is the one the Thai Teacher intended... but don't argue about Context, because ONLY the Thai teacher is right, even if your American/British Father says that your answer is correct also, because the Teacher can't lose face, and be corrected by a student.. Not in a Thai government school, can he/she???

I could go on!

CS

PS... after 8 or 9 Years of dealing with these issues... I can PROMISE you that in My classes they were QUIET.. My most effective tactic was to stop speaking and Glare!!! That usually got their attention and calmed things down... But that doesn't mean that they were polite, or respectful, or that they Learned ANYTHING... There are always exceptions of course!

Edited by CosmicSurfer

As frustrating as teaching can sometimes be, I find that Thai students are generally well-behaved. I am fairly strict, and they do listen and behave--not necessarily learn--but behave.

I don't know that Thai students have much internal control, but they don't tend to mouth off when you talk to them and that makes a difference.

I have been in a few schools, however, where students could challenge the patience of Job.

The article doesn't say what the age range of the students they are.

Well mannered or terrified.

Discuss.........

Either way, it is a vastly better environment to be taught when the students are terrified of the teachers than when the teachers are terrified of the students as they are here in the United States.

would talk or interrupt classes more;

means:

- do not ask the teacher any questions

- no discussion about anything

- no putting question marks behind any statement

Only keep silent and listen.

What the results are of these.. just look around in Bangkok and the rest of Thailand, and ask yourself the question: why so many expats still work in Thailand on higher brain using levels, and Thais abroad only in hand working functions.

Must be the Thais you're dealing with. I know Thais working in the US in really good jobs. (Admittedly it's because they were doing their Masters at University in the US and were hired into graduate programs).

IS someone trawling the world wide web to find obscure research projects where Thailand comes in at the Top 10, and then try to window dress the results for propaganda? For example: oh wow, Thailand is in the top 10 in the world for milking coconuts, therefore it justifies our education budget (and also we can ignore all fundamental problems relating to the education system) since we have produced such high-achieving coconut milkers which is now internationally recognised by this well known research.

Note to self: must check out if the OECD really did such a study and if so, in what context. :whistling:

National News Bureau of Thailand (NNT) report it on their site, but provide no link or source. They simply state that it is an OECD report, but there is nothing (that I could find) on the OECD site.

It seems a bizarre sort of claim to make, especially with no data to substantiate the claim. It looks like a hoax.

This site obviously doesn't take it seriously and cites comments from this very TV thread:

http://seattle99.wor...ssroom-manners/

Having taught pre-schoolers through adults in four countries which cover the spectrum (Japan, Korea, USA, Thailand), I would concur regarding the generally well-behaved manner of Thai students (here, I've taught pre-schooler through adult education).

The biggest challenge, indeed, are 12-16 year olds, but they CAN be controlled, and a quiet classroom is possible. Most of it depends on the experience of the teacher who needs to have many classroom management techniques under their sleeve.

I teach children from 11 to 13 ( M1 & M2 900+ of them) here in the north of Thailand. I find them kind, polite, caring and honest. Some have problems that need addressing, and I have to spend extra time with some of them. It takes time to get them asking questions and being proactive, but it can be done. I invest a lot of my own time in helping the slower children, and they all love to try talking with me. I guess it's simple, if you believe in them, they will believe in you.

As an observer in a Bangkok school, I was very impressed with how respectful and well-mannered Thai students were. They often would wai teachers as they passed and sat quietly while waiting for class to begin. As an American, such good behavior was refreshingly suprising to me.

As an observer in a Bangkok school, I was very impressed with how respectful and well-mannered Thai students were. They often would wai teachers as they passed and sat quietly while waiting for class to begin. As an American, such good behavior was refreshingly suprising to me.

Not in Phuket!!!!!

When we have visitors at the school, the students are very well behaved. Thais learn good manners and they can be extremely polite. Of course, once the visitors are gone, it's back to normal.

My only question is why weren't they first? I am surprised they didn't rank higher.

Well thats great; last I heard the best universities admit students based on manners and good paying jobs hire based on politeness :lol:

Up to a point, I would rather hire a jerk who is sh*t hot at her job rather than someone who is incompetent and polite :)

Not something to be proud of in my opinion, when looking at their global academic ranking.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

• 2 weeks later...

Manners are great don't get me wrong.

I wonder however, where they rate in the common sense department?

Until this "losing/ saving face" nonsense subsides the kids will only ever obey and not think for themselves.

It is a real pity.