Do You Tip At 7-Eleven?

WinnieTheKhwai

Rizia is correct about the working conditions there. GF's son went to work at a 7/11 in Korat. First let me say....he's the laziest person I know. We had to post a 10,000 Baht bond plus and additional 1,000B for his uniform. He got 7K a month worked 60 hrs a week. Got docked for anything broken or stolen. Now as far as him being lazy...I never saw anyone work as hard as he did to keep the selves stocked and the customers happy. Changed my opinon of him. They too put a "tip" box out because everyone in the store worked extra hard and equally per the son. The owner "TOOK IT". Would not distribute the money collected. A friendly visit by BiB (even if you hate them) almost sent the owner to jail for theft but he weaseled his way out of it. GF's son no longer works there and several months later as I understand it it changed owners.

My point is: the kids working there don't get paid that much and they are under some ridiculous rules Each shop is a separate franchise and each owner makes his own rules up to a point. If there is a "tip box" out and if tipping them is warranted, then do so. Some of you bitch about how much. It depends on the service you get. It's a gesture not an investment. And hopefully the tips go to the workers. And I have seen affluent Thai's put money on the boxes.

My GF and her family have all told me the biggest problem with farangs tipping is they don't know when, where or how much. They usually over tip.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not allowed to tip, my wife thinks I am to generous, now when at a restaurant or bar she pays the bill and leaves the tip.

When it comes to the small bills and change, I give that to the kids. The youngest two accept any denomination, the oldest only likes bills with 3 digits. :blink:

Edited by Diablo Bob
  • Like 1

Are you for real?

Tipping 1 baht?:o

one thing i will say...you have got balls of brass my man,

i even feel bad about throwing 1 baht coins in those big charity barrels at carrefour.....and thats when no-ones looking :ph34r:

You may wish to read my post on page 3

My point is: the kids working there don't get paid that much and they are under some ridiculous rules Each shop is a separate franchise and each owner makes his own rules up to a point. If there is a "tip box" out and if tipping them is warranted, then do so. Some of you bitch about how much. It depends on the service you get. It's a gesture not an investment. And hopefully the tips go to the workers. And I have seen affluent Thai's put money on the boxes.

My GF and her family have all told me the biggest problem with farangs tipping is they don't know when, where or how much. They usually over tip.

"And hopefully the tips go to the workers." biggrin.gif

I think your gf is right, maybe she could point us out some clues.

"And hopefully the tips go to the workers." biggrin.gif

I think your gf is right, maybe she could point us out some clues.

Usually I give her the money to pay the bills. Ever notice how they always approach the lady first when the bill comes. That's because most women in Thailand run the family fiances. From watching her:

Mom-Pop stores no tip

Mom-Pop if food outstanding 5B or some change on table even 2B acceptable

Restaurants - 10B-20B check receipt for service charge first

massage/hair care 50B/hr or per service

taxi - 20-50B depends on how far and what he does for you

retail store clerk- no tip

retail store if person helps load car- 20B

Hotel bellman 20-40B

Hotel Maid- 20-40B only if service outstanding

Repairman/delivery man 10B-100B depends on total bill and any extra work performed, always a tough decision on this.

Monks- 100B+ This is in a whole different category

And honestly I think she's too generous with my money at times. :jap:

If you think it's good service that deserves reward then offrer a tip! Simple really. I just don't like places that provide poor service and expect a tip.

Another question you could add to this is do you still tip when you get a bill and service charge is included? Some say yes, some no!

never tip in a retailer but in a local bar or restaurant usually leave a small tip if the staff are friendly

80 Baht for a beer leave 20

Where there is 10% service added used to leave a tip for the girl that served us but now never do. Even ex pat pubs.

Staff still friendly every time I go back.

Tight old git aren't I

Wages, used to be up until lately 150 bht for an 8 hour shift,,,(now 200 bht),,,Please note......the normal shift is more like 10 hours a day as they make the employees hang around before shift start and keep them waiting an hour after time, to wait for the jobsworth who has to tot up the till and deduct any spillages/breakages off individual employees daily wage (yep the workers have to pay for accidents)....the breakages thing usually happens every other day.

They say you get your unifrom for free, but there is allways 500 bht a month taken off an employees wage every month until they finish their employment there..at which time that amount should be returned...

As for the tip box, that is NOT for the employees to share..........it is for charity, for the needy, providing the manager lets it get there......

So in general at the end of the month for 60+hours a week at the 150 baht rate they are lucky to get 3400 bht a month and they still have to pay tax on that..!

I'm under the impression the 7-11 staff is a national wage of 7,500bht a month.

Let's hope whoever told you your version of the wage wasn't telling porkys in order to extract sympathy money from you.

I also believe that 3,400bht a month would be well under the amount you have to earn before any tax is deducted (10,000+bht a month is closer).

Edited by sarahsbloke

I'm not allowed to tip, my wife thinks I am to generous, now when at a restaurant or bar she pays the bill and leaves the tip.

I'm sure that's one of the many qualities that attracted her to you.....I wonder why she wants you to change?

Since I live in an old wooden shack and only ever wear cheap T shirts I'm paranoid people will think I'm one of the cheap charlie brigade :ph34r: To pander to my paranoia I always tip very generously in the bars and restaurants I visit regularly, and it pays dividends in great service with a smile next time.

In a restaurant I don't know so well I usually let my Thai companions deal with the change and leave the tip, though i sometimes override them if they are being too stingy.

I'm with Winnie on the small change, can't stand the stuff in my pocket, and if I leave it lying around at home it just disappears. Also, I don't want it scratching the front of my 999Bt Nokia in my pocket :unsure: So that usually goes in the tip box or tray. Except, as others have said, leaving 1 or 2 bhat for a tip on a tray is seriously uncool, better not tip at all than do that.

Now 7-11, well I do confess there have been occasions when the cute, smiling, camp thing behind the counter has been rewarded with my phone number. Some have even called in search of a bigger tip :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

I do tip at a resturant but only sometimes , the service has to be very good . As far as the 7-11 not ever, street vender never ever . Red truck Tuk Tuk drivers never . Most taxis I take we agree on a price and thats what he gets . Now a hotel where they lugg my bags I will tip . We have to remember these are thier customs not ours . Its kind of a double edged sword...... Just because its a custom in my home contry doesnt mean I will do it where its not . But then in toursit areas now its kind of an expected thing ...

Sarah's Bloke is right. Taxes are not paid for salaries under 12K baht for single people and I think it is more like 16K for those that are married.

I saw my friend's tax return he has a wife and kid and his salary was 40K a month and the total deductions for the year were less than 9,000 baht. So roughly 800 a month.

Poor do not pay taxes in Thailand that is why the middle class get fed up with them complaining about not having enough social welfare.

As for tipping. What a tool. Only a moron or someone desperate for attention tip at convenient stores. I can see tipping at a restaurant especially in most western countries. I wouldn't do it here unless it were a real restaurant and not just a thai-food shop.

If it is a charity box that is fine in concept but like others I suspect it rarely gets to where it needs to be. I just give charity directly to those that need it. I don't even bother with most NGO's because a lot of them are just foreigners looking for a way to make a decent salary also.

I think that tipping has gotten way out of control in the west and now it is corrupting Asia. I think tipping makes a person a beggar. I wouldn't accept a tip for doing any job that I do. I charge what I believe to be an honest wage and don't take jobs that don't pay.

Sarah's Bloke is right. Taxes are not paid for salaries under 12K baht for single people and I think it is more like 16K for those that are married.

Not Tax, but regular employees are deducted 5% Social insurance every month, even if they only make minimum wage.

I think that tipping has gotten way out of control in the west and now it is corrupting Asia.

If you think that, try going out in Europe or American with a nice western lady, then offering her a $30 "tip" after sex. You'd better be ready to duck when she slaps you :whistling:

paagai, how can someone respond to such a low class comment.

What does prostitution have to do with tipping?

I just meant that in many western countries they expect tips in all service fields and I just don't think that it is a normal way of life. Personally, I wouldn't tip a waitress if it wasn't mandatory. I think that they should earn a respectable wage and eliminate tips. Some wait staff earn more than the cooks. I don't think that is right.

Wages, used to be up until lately 150 bht for an 8 hour shift,,,(now 200 bht),,,Please note......the normal shift is more like 10 hours a day as they make the employees hang around before shift start and keep them waiting an hour after time, to wait for the jobsworth who has to tot up the till and deduct any spillages/breakages off individual employees daily wage (yep the workers have to pay for accidents)....the breakages thing usually happens every other day.

They say you get your unifrom for free, but there is allways 500 bht a month taken off an employees wage every month until they finish their employment there..at which time that amount should be returned...

As for the tip box, that is NOT for the employees to share..........it is for charity, for the needy, providing the manager lets it get there......

So in general at the end of the month for 60+hours a week at the 150 baht rate they are lucky to get 3400 bht a month and they still have to pay tax on that..!

Let's hope whoever told you your version of the wage wasn't telling porkys in order to extract sympathy money from you.

I also believe that 3,400bht a month would be well under the amount you have to earn before any tax is deducted (10,000+bht a month is closer).

No need to hope, i know she wasn`t trying to extract as you say "sympathy money" from me....i`ve been too long in the woods to be fcuked by the crows..:jap:

Oh, and unless your area has different wages for their 7-11`s (but you said it was a national rate) , i`ve just been to the seven and posted on the front window in a 7-11 statement is the daily rate....220 bht

Which if you work out 8 hour shifts x 26 days a month (they dont get paid for days off)

the grand total of 5,720

less 5% NI 286

Less retainer to them 500

= 4934 bht

More than tad short of 7,500 bhat i would say.....

Edited by rizla

[

No need to hope, i know she wasn`t trying to extract as you say "sympathy money" from me....i`ve been too long in the woods to be fcuked by the crows..:jap:

Oh, and unless your area has different wages for their 7-11`s (but you said it was a national rate) , i`ve just been to the seven and posted on the front window in a 7-11 statement is the daily rate....220 bht

Which if you work out 8 hour shifts x 26 days a month (they dont get paid for days off)

the grand total of 5,720

less 5% NI 286

Less retainer to them 500

= 4934 bht

More than tad short of 7,500 bhat i would say.....

Barely enough to run a Honda Click :whistling:

>The purpose of tipping, mainly, is to encourage good service. I've always thought that it was best spent where I was a 'regular' and after the particularly worthy service was received.

>Or, some may think that it is a way to slightly enrich the way of less fortunate people.

In the first case, one is defeated in by a "tip box." Either its contents go to the owner (not fully nonsensical, as it is the manager/owner who encourages or allows good service) or are divided along a formula that is not likely to end up, adequately, in the pocket of that employee who went the extra distance. I've frequently observed Thai employees put 'their' tips in the tip box.

For donations, one might achieve a greater effect by donating, as mentioned elsewhere, to worthwhile charities with good throughput of services. Perhaps this is the best choice for effective spreading of wealth.

It has been written above that Thais don't tip. There are exceptions relating to "upper" level restaurants, for example, where Thai people can be seen to tip.

>Then too, we have tipping for show or for some sense of doing things correctly, carried to Thailand from home countries. I do this from time to time, connecting my own satisfaction in my mind to attentive extra service, but I can't guess what good it does except for suiting myself in some way. It is true too that a tip is small compared to a contribution, as I think of them, so perhaps I tip in order to be a cheap charlie?

I've been brought up in a culture of no tipping, to anyone and find it very difficult to do. However, it is creeping in to my country where restaurant staff etc practically expect a tip regardless of service and that really shits me.

When in Thailand I prefer to take my own bags to the room as it makes me uncomfortable to think about tipping someone for doing their job. I just don't like the idea of someone doing something just to extract money from me and not because they care.

On my first visit to Thailand I had a backpack, quite capable of taking it myself but one guy insisted on taking it to the room so I relented. Not only did he take the bag but he decided that he needed 2 assistants to go with him. All 3 of them went into my room and stood their waiting. Now if it was just 1 guy I would have felt obliged to tip but as there were 3 of them I felt like they were just taking the piss out of me so I just thanked them and ushered them to the door.

I have also noticed that when paying at a bar after a few ales I will sometimes get five 20 baht notes in change instead of a 100 baht note. Again I think they do this to try and compel a tip. When this happens I don't tip.

Though in saying that, in general, after a few beers or a feed I don't have an issue leaving a lower denomination as a tip, rounding up to the nearest 100 baht would be ok.

I guess I'll just have to get used to the tipping idea as it is spreading.

When I am in Thailand I seldom eat at places where tipping is normal. However, I believe in helping low income earners if they are polite and helpful. When I eat at the same food stall more than a few times I'll often leave a healthy tip, and it's far more than the standard 15%. It is just my way of saying thankyou to people I know. However, if I'm eating at a food stall somewhere that I DON'T know the staff I'm no different than any Thai. If I think a meal is over priced for what is offered then I just don't go back and I don't tip.

Usually I give her the money to pay the bills. Ever notice how they always approach the lady first when the bill comes. That's because most women in Thailand run the family fiances. From watching her:

Mom-Pop stores no tip

Mom-Pop if food outstanding 5B or some change on table even 2B acceptable

Restaurants - 10B-20B check receipt for service charge first

massage/hair care 50B/hr or per service

taxi - 20-50B depends on how far and what he does for you

retail store clerk- no tip

retail store if person helps load car- 20B

Hotel bellman 20-40B

Hotel Maid- 20-40B only if service outstanding

Repairman/delivery man 10B-100B depends on total bill and any extra work performed, always a tough decision on this.

Monks- 100B+ This is in a whole different category

And honestly I think she's too generous with my money at times. :jap:

Haha...she tips as a Westerner... wink.gif

I think that tipping has gotten way out of control in the west and now it is corrupting Asia. I think tipping makes a person a beggar. I wouldn't accept a tip for doing any job that I do. I charge what I believe to be an honest wage and don't take jobs that don't pay.

Hear, hear...

Yesterday I was at Central and on the 3rd floor in the back I even saw a tipbox on the counter of a clothing stall, how ridiculous is that! Let's face it, it's really getting out of hand.

Edited by MangoAndCo

what next? tip box at immigration? noooo can you imagine Thai's tipping 7/11? I rarely see Thai's tip anywhere

Thats a great idea. I would tip heavily there for good friendly informative service with a smile. (My money's safe for a while Im guessing)

What a bunch of whiners some of you guys are. Some one actually goes the extra mile in performing their job to make your life more comfortable and you don't feel they deserve a tip? What a "Cheap Charley" you are, comes to mind. Tipping is a gesture simply to show appreciation for the service they just provided and not so they can buy a fancy house. Some Thais are simply pleased to be helping you because that's their job and they don't expect to be tipped. In some jobs all over the world the person might be paid minimal wage with the expexctation that they will be compensated by tips. Bell boys, Bar Hostess, and grocery bag boys come to mind for starters. I wonder how many of you non-tippers ever got a tip in your life? Wash mom and dad's car when they weren't expecting it ...and they "paid" you? Mowed the neighbors lawn and he tipped you?

The whole point of this thread is do you put money in a "tip jar" at a 7/11. Or..in any tip jar regardless where it's at... it's totally up to you. The second point is "how much"? I think some people "over tip" and then there's the opposite of "no tip". You have to consider how much did you pay for the service in the first place and respond accordingly if you tip at all. You don't tip any more than 10-20% of the bill. That seems to be the international norm. And that's only for reference and not the rule. If you don't tip that's fine too.... but don't complain about the lack of service the next time you go back.

TMHO...:jap:

paagai, how can someone respond to such a low class comment.

What does prostitution have to do with tipping?

I just meant that in many western countries they expect tips in all service fields and I just don't think that it is a normal way of life. Personally, I wouldn't tip a waitress if it wasn't mandatory. I think that they should earn a respectable wage and eliminate tips. Some wait staff earn more than the cooks. I don't think that is right.

Hmmm.

Your last comment. My Wify worked in a number of restaurants serving meals. The last being a very good and well known one, in the old city, which served both quality western and Thai food. The previous management move out of town but the restaurant has been taken over by new management.

Fact is my wife salary was a lot less than the cook. Admittedly this is relative and depend on various situation. ALL tips were shared equally by all employees. My wife could not have made ends meet by the salary paid, as per the other employee and had to depend on the tips. Doubt if the cook could have either. All people different and that what make the world go around. Some Thai Tip. Others do not. Many Westerner do not tip. Believe me, even if they have very good service and food quality.

Shame, because there are many poor people here trying to make ends meet on salaries which are so very low -even in Thai terms. Hard times everywhere.

Maybe not the 'normal way of life' but the way that it is

what next? tip box at immigration? noooo can you imagine Thai's tipping 7/11? I rarely see Thai's tip anywhere

Thais tip all the time. Unfortunately it's usually not for good service but mostly when they want something in return. Sorry, not meant as an insult, but to recognize it as as less desireable cultural norm.