Do You Tip At 7-Eleven?

WinnieTheKhwai

What does prostitution have to do with tipping?

:ermm: In Thailand, everything, as the phrase "tip" is used euphemistically instead of the much too direct version "payment for sexual services". :rolleyes:

Apologies if that was lost on you ;)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of whiners some of you guys are. Some one actually goes the extra mile in performing their job to make your life more comfortable and you don't feel they deserve a tip? What a "Cheap Charley" you are, comes to mind. Tipping is a gesture simply to show appreciation for the service they just provided and not so they can buy a fancy house. Some Thais are simply pleased to be helping you because that's their job and they don't expect to be tipped. In some jobs all over the world the person might be paid minimal wage with the expexctation that they will be compensated by tips. Bell boys, Bar Hostess, and grocery bag boys come to mind for starters. I wonder how many of you non-tippers ever got a tip in your life? Wash mom and dad's car when they weren't expecting it ...and they "paid" you? Mowed the neighbors lawn and he tipped you?

The whole point of this thread is do you put money in a "tip jar" at a 7/11. Or..in any tip jar regardless where it's at... it's totally up to you. The second point is "how much"? I think some people "over tip" and then there's the opposite of "no tip". You have to consider how much did you pay for the service in the first place and respond accordingly if you tip at all. You don't tip any more than 10-20% of the bill. That seems to be the international norm. And that's only for reference and not the rule. If you don't tip that's fine too.... but don't complain about the lack of service the next time you go back.

TMHO...:jap:

In my country it is not necessary to tip ANYONE as the minimum wage is quite high but there is starting to be an increasing expectation of a tip anyway, and regardless of what kind of service you get. Tipping is not something that comes natural to me.

Your last sentence says it all. No tip and if the service is crap then I just don't go back. I don't complain about service, I just don't return.

And they do fulfill a valuable place in Thai society, namely forcing all the local 'Mom and Pop' stores out of business.

And rightly so.

Most Mom & Pop stores here don't know how to....

• rotate stock,
  • dust the layers of dirt off the products,
  • stay at the counter (instead of you having to call them from the hammock in back), and, most importantly...
  • keep expired crap off the shelves.

For those reasons, I'm a believer in 7-11. Let the best man stay in business.

what next? tip box at immigration?

Many here will recall the days when certain foreigners often accompanied by their wives, went into immigration bearing more bloody gifts than the three wise men!

Others attached a plain envelope to their application form.

There are still plenty of creeps doing this - just keep your eyes open. ;)

Many here will recall the days when certain foreigners often accompanied by their wives, went into immigration bearing more bloody gifts than the three wise men!

LOL, right! :)

I wouldn't dream of "tipping" or giving gifts to immigration. That's what I pay a lawyer to do :whistling:

Under no circumstance would I leave a tip for any of them or any other 7-11 employee. They hardly work. They read magazines, sit outside and smoke, and even sleep in the isles late night.

I would probably leave a few Baht in the box, but I am skeptical as to who would really get the tip. I think where places have tip boxes it is likely that the manager takes most of the money and then gives some of it to the staff, who will thank him like he is doing something wonderful for them.

When I first came to Thailand in 2001 I was told by Thai friends back home that tipping was not common in Thailand. Then when I came to Thailand I tried to tip my Bell Boys and Waitresses in the hotels and restaurants and the tips were declined. Now everyone wants tips including 7/11 workers, it has changed so much here in the bast 10 years.

When I first came to Thailand in 2001 I was told by Thai friends back home that tipping was not common in Thailand. Then when I came to Thailand I tried to tip my Bell Boys and Waitresses in the hotels and restaurants and the tips were declined. Now everyone wants tips including 7/11 workers, it has changed so much here in the bast 10 years.

any bell boy or waitress possessing a bit of self esteem would decline a tip of a few Baht coins <_<

I would probably leave a few Baht in the box

Why tip a 7/11 cashier? Would you tip the cashier in your bank? The checkout girl in Walmart? The checkin girl at the airport?

They are all doing the same job, effectively - stood standing in place and doing what they are paid to do (no more, no less). Tips are for going "over and beyond" what the job is paying you to do. For simply doing the job you simply get paid for doing the job - IMHO.

HOW EASY IS IT?

Anyone who tips 7/11 staff is a moron stoking the fires of riot and insurrection, if you ask me (OK. Maybe that's taking it a bit far - but it is short-sighted and bang out of order).

Why tip a 7/11 cashier? Would you tip the cashier in your bank? The checkout girl in Walmart? The checkin girl at the airport?

They are all doing the same job, effectively - stood standing in place and doing what they are paid to do (no more, no less). Tips are for going "over and beyond" what the job is paying you to do. For simply doing the job you simply get paid for doing the job - IMHO.

HOW EASY IS IT?

Anyone who tips 7/11 staff is a moron stoking the fires of riot and insurrection, if you ask me (OK. Maybe that's taking it a bit far - but it is short-sighted and bang out of order).

Excellent point, especially about the check-in girl at the airport. On a recent trip, I had a very friendly check-in agent. He went out of his way to make sure my bags were checked in to my final destination despite the fact that he didn't have to do that as I was flying multiple airlines on different tickets. Then when he handed me my boarding passes, he also gave me a free pass to the business class lounge that I wasn't entitled to. how much would the big tippers here have given him? Does it matter where this happened? It shouldn't.

The OP states that the 7-11 clerk deserves a tip for accepting payment of his telephone and electric bills saving him a trip to the company offices. Huh??? The clerk didn't save you a trip. The small fee you paid for that convenience 10 baht -- is well worth it. You should be tipping the utility and 7-11 executives who came up with the idea. They're the ones who saved you the time. The clerk at 7-11 did nothing but scan in the bar code.

The OP here states that a long line developed while the clerk in the 7-11 was doing what s/he was supposed to be doing -- his/her job. Why would you tip the clerk?? You should be tipping the customers waiting in line behind you.

HOW EASY IS IT?

Excellent point, especially about the check-in girl at the airport. On a recent trip, I had a very friendly check-in agent. He went out of his way to make sure my bags were checked in to my final destination despite the fact that he didn't have to do that as I was flying multiple airlines on different tickets. Then when he handed me my boarding passes, he also gave me a free pass to the business class lounge that I wasn't entitled to. how much would the big tippers here have given him? Does it matter where this happened? It shouldn't.

The OP states that the 7-11 clerk deserves a tip for accepting payment of his telephone and electric bills saving him a trip to the company offices. Huh??? The clerk didn't save you a trip. The small fee you paid for that convenience 10 baht -- is well worth it. You should be tipping the utility and 7-11 executives who came up with the idea. They're the ones who saved you the time. The clerk at 7-11 did nothing but scan in the bar code.

The OP here states that a long line developed while the clerk in the 7-11 was doing what s/he was supposed to be doing -- his/her job. Why would you tip the clerk?? You should be tipping the customers waiting in line behind you.

A "tip" is an appreciative recognition that is given to someone for providing more than they are paid to ordinarily do.

So fkn simple, I sometimes despair.

Edited by Lite Beer
Altered quote returned to the original version.

A "tip" is an appreciative recognition that is given to someone for providing more than they are paid to ordinarily do.

So fkn simple, I sometimes despair.

I never noticed "tip" jars in my Din Daeng 7-11s, since the counter is a riot of goods and signs. But I would consider leaving the odd tip, as per CaptainFantastic's description.

I've generally found 7-11 clerks swift and efficient, even in the high-traffic stores. I've found them even more helpful, going out of their way at times, when I've become a regular. (And what's more, they have done the same for particularly difficult, impolite and ungrateful customers, probably not unlike some of the posters above who I can imagine saying, "What, are there no work 'ouses?!)

That said, patience, politeness and a smile also work wonders in a shop. I think those attributes are just as appreciated after dealing with a wordless grunt from a Thai or farang.

Last, I would like to tip. As an example, I was very happy with the hlepful service at a soi 4 hotel restaurant recently. But when I questioned a supervisor about where the money goes from the 10% service charge, the answer was the hotel, not staff. I confirmed the waiters do get the cash from the tip though. So I will ask, where does the 7-11 tip jar cash go, before I leave anything.

On a recent trip, I had a very friendly check-in agent. He went out of his way to make sure my bags were checked in to my final destination despite the fact that he didn't have to do that as I was flying multiple airlines on different tickets. Then when he handed me my boarding passes, he also gave me a free pass to the business class lounge that I wasn't entitled to. how much would the big tippers here have given him?

If he was cute he would certainly have got what he was probably looking for - my phone number :);)

any bell boy or waitress possessing a bit of self esteem would decline a tip of a few Baht coins

I would agree a few baht coins would be an insult and I would not offer it. I usually gave 100 baht minimum.

I figure if they can't at least buy a bottle of beer or a bottle of coke with it then it isn't worth giving as a tip.

I would agree a few baht coins would be an insult and I would not offer it. I usually gave 100 baht minimum.

I figure if they can't at least buy a bottle of beer or a bottle of coke with it then it isn't worth giving as a tip.

Fair enough, but have you actually been here?

Bottle of coke 10 baht, can 13 baht.;)

Why in the world would anyone eat one of those nasty 7-11 hot dogs is beyond me....bah.gif

They're CP hot dogs and they're okay. Especially if you get them chopped up and then build your own salad by adding lots of lettuce, tomato and cucumber. (And mayo, mustard, etc.)

Under no circumstance would I leave a tip for any of them or any other 7-11 employee. They hardly work. They read magazines, sit outside and smoke, and even sleep in the isles late night.

Collective punishment, I like that! If I ever see a Swensen's waitress misbehave in Had Yai then I'll be sure to never ever tip one in Chiang Rai. Good one.

Where I come from a hotdog is a sausage in a bun. I think they just sell sausages now? They used to sell hotdogs maybe a decade ago. I miss the hotdogs, they were yummy!

You can get either; just the sausage or the proper hotdog in a bun.

I'm not a huge fan of the buns though, and when ordering it without the bun then you get it in a plastic bag which allows you to stuff WAY more vegetables in it. There's only so much lettuce and tomato that you can fit into a hot dog bun.

I guess I'm pretty old-fashioned because I go to 7-11 (although very rarely anymore) to buy things - not to pay bills or get my lunch. When there are 6 or 7 staff in the store and only one of them is working at the cash, I don't feel much like tipping anyone -- more like taking my business elsewhere. It happens too often that one person is working cash while also cutting up wieners and processing bills. They try be everything to everyone, and that really doesn't work very well for me, so I rarely use them anymore. I feel bad that the workers make such crappy money at 7-11, but I'll be damned if I'm going to help some obscenely rich (Japanese) company make up the difference in poor wages. I realize that minimum wage is set by the Thai government, but that doesn't mean that 7-11 management can't pay their staff a reasonable wage.

Where I come from a hotdog is a sausage in a bun. I think they just sell sausages now? They used to sell hotdogs maybe a decade ago. I miss the hotdogs, they were yummy!

You can get either; just the sausage or the proper hotdog in a bun.

I'm not a huge fan of the buns though, and when ordering it without the bun then you get it in a plastic bag which allows you to stuff WAY more vegetables in it. There's only so much lettuce and tomato that you can fit into a hot dog bun.

Oh really? Cool! I didn't see the buns for many years so assumed they didn't have them anymore. They have them everywhere or just select shops?