True 3G Internet Bangkok

I have the old IPhone 3G pack from Truemove, which has unlimited data & up to 7.2mbps speed, until today my speed always hovered around 6 or 7mbps, but when I used it tonight it was only allowing me exactly 256kbps which is what the new unlimited packages have after the 3gb data has been used up so I called true and spoke to someone in their technical department, and they confirmed that I am still on the same package and my speed should be much higher, he suggested there might be a technical problem or a network upgrade in progress.

Also my network connection now shows the slower service HSDPA/WCDMA but yesterday it showed HSPA which is much quicker.

Has anyone else suffered the same problem today?

Edited by colinthailand20005

10 Minutes ago I got a HSPA connection for about 5 minutes, and I got 6mbps. Now its gone back to WCDMA/HSDPA at a snails pace again.

They must be doing some updating, I normally get 5 bars of signal all the time, but now it fluctuates between 4/5.

True instituted a new fair-use policy for their 599 baht unlimited iPhone contract customers. You should have received notification of this.

Unlimited 3G service free of charge** according to TrueMove Fair Usage Policy. Accordingly, the users are eligible for 3G service of 3,000 megabytes (3GB) at the maximum speed of 7.2 Mbps and unlimited 3G access at the speed of 256 Kbps under condition in Clause 3.1;

Once you get to 3 GB you get ratcheted down to 256 Kbps. You have unlimited data, just now at 256 Kbps.

Do you use a lot of data? I know iPhones seem to be bandwidth hogs unless you "manage" them.

http://www.truemove.com/iphone/en/fair_usage.html

Edited by lomatopo

I don't have the 599 package, I have the post pay 699 package purchased in June last year, and I checked again with customer service today, and they confirmed my internet is not restricted in speed or data, whatever the maximum the network can provide, currently up to 7.2mbps, but still today the same 256kbps.

They said that they are having technical difficulties but he didn't think it would affect my service??

OK, thanks. they will honor truly unlimited 3G data for you until your 12 month contract is up, so presumably this month? At that point they'll transition you to a fair-use policy. The current 699 post-paid plan (My Way) only gives 1 GB/ of 3G per month.

There is a post-paid "Ready" plan, Smartphone, 649 baht, which gives unlimited 3G per month, subject to fair-use; 3 GB --> 256 Kbps.

I suspect your contract expired in the past few days, and that you've been transitioned to a different plan, maybe th 1 GB one, and you've exceeded that limit and are being speed restricted. I would recommend a visit to a True shop.

Edited by lomatopo

OK, thanks. they will honor truly unlimited 3G data for you until your 12 month contract is up, so presumably this month? At that point they'll transition you to a fair-use policy. The current 699 post-paid plan (My Way) only gives 1 GB/ of 3G per month.

There is a post-paid "Ready" plan, Smartphone, 649 baht, which gives unlimited 3G per month, subject to fair-use; 3 GB --> 256 Kbps.

I suspect your contract expired in the past few days, and that you've been transitioned to a different plan, maybe th 1 GB one, and you've exceeded that limit and are being speed restricted. I would recommend a visit to a True shop.

I checked with *9000 and my next bill date is the 6th June, and my internet only started running slowly yesterday, already this month I have downloaded 50gb and uploaded about 30gb, and I checked with true they said my contract will continue until I cancel, with no restrictions on download speeds, and a manager confirmed the 699 IPhone pack I am on is eligable to continue.

faqs_q.pngWill iPhone 3G and 3GS customers who currently use the 599 Basic Package be affected when they purchase the iPhone 4? faqs_a.png iPhone 3G and 3GS customers can retain their subscription to the 599 Basic Package when they purchase the iPhone 4 (device with option to choose existing or new promotion). If they choose to use their existing promotion (599 Basic Package) with the iPhone 4, they will not be subject to the Fair Usage Policy.

I checked with *9000 and my next bill date is the 6th June, and my internet only started running slowly yesterday, already this month I have downloaded 50gb and uploaded about 30gb, and I checked with true they said my contract will continue, with no restrictions on download speeds, and a manager confirmed the 699 IPhone pack I am on is eligable to continue.

I just checked my bill and it says "Price Plan Monthly fee iPhone package 699 Bt/mth Expired 10/02/2012 at 00:00:01" so it looks like I have until then to continue on the same pack with the same conditions.

faqs_q.pngWill iPhone 3G and 3GS customers who currently use the 599 Basic Package be affected when they purchase the iPhone 4? faqs_a.png iPhone 3G and 3GS customers can retain their subscription to the 599 Basic Package when they purchase the iPhone 4 (device with option to choose existing or new promotion). If they choose to use their existing promotion (599 Basic Package) with the iPhone 4, they will not be subject to the Fair Usage Policy.

Did you first have an iPhone 3G or 3GS, then purchase an iPhone? Did you have the 599 Basic Package? If not, why include the Q&A?

You said your contract started last June (2010), so it would have ended May, 2011 and then you would have been subject to a change in plan, at True's choice. Now it seems like your contract has a somewhat unusual term, (is that Oct 2, or Feb. 10?), so yes, they should honor it. However, they may have the option to limit usage based on extraordinary circumstances, best to review the written contract. I must say that 50 GB/20 GB is unusually high for a mobile broadband application, and that your account is probably on somebody's radar screen at True. While it is not your responsibility, you're using the bandwidth allocated for 15 other users, so one could understand why True might want to slow you to 256 Kbps. Further proof as to why they are losing money, and everyone else is experiencing potential capacity issues.

Regarding the 3G indicators, typically at idle a display might show "3G" or "WCDMA", then switch to "HSPA" when data use has begun, and "HSDPA" when downloading. There are a limited number of time-slots available for use, so that can affect performance. Maybe your neighbor is also downloading 50 GB per month? Signal strength can vary with distance, weather and in-building location.

In the Apple sub-forum here there is a thread re: True and tethering issues. Assuming you are tethering maybe you are experiencing similar issues?

Edited by lomatopo

Did you first have an iPhone 3G or 3GS, then purchase an iPhone? Did you have the 599 Basic Package? If not, why include the Q&A?

You said your contract started last June (2010), so it would have ended May, 2011 and then you would have been subject to a change in plan, at True's choice. Now it seems like your contract has a somewhat unusual term, (is that Oct 2, or Feb. 10?), so yes, they should honor it. However, they may have the option to limit usage based on extraordinary circumstances, best to review the written contract. I must say that 50 GB/20 GB is unusually high for a mobile broadband application, and that your account is probably on somebody's radar screen at True. While it is not your responsibility, you're using the bandwidth allocated for 15 other users, so one could understand why True might want to slow you to 256 Kbps. Further proof as to why they are losing money, and everyone else is experiencing potential capacity issues.

Regarding the 3G indicators, typically at idle a display might show "3G" or "WCDMA", then switch to "HSPA" when data use has begun, and "HSDPA" when downloading. There are a limited number of time-slots available for use, so that can affect performance. Maybe your neighbor is also downloading 50 GB per month? Signal strength can vary with distance, weather and in-building location.

In the Apple sub-forum here there is a thread re: True and tethering issues. Assuming you are tethering maybe you are experiencing similar issues?

I am using a Truemove aircard.

It is 10 Feb 2012, and I agree it is an unusual contract end date, I did not buy an iPhone, but they had a promotion at the time 699 baht if you didn't buy the iPhone and you get unlimited data with no restrictions, the man at True I spoke to confirmed that the same conditions apply to my package as the 599 baht iPhone pack, mine is just 100 baht more to cover their lost revenue for me not buying the iPhone, I don't have a written contract detailing exactly what the individual package details, when my wife signed up to True it was a 3 page yellow pre-printed carbon copy, and it only says iPhone pack 699 baht. My wife read the terms on it and they are generic to any package.

And you are incorrect about the HSPA & HSDPA, they are 2 different protocols, HSPA is an upgrade on HSDPA can download at 7.2mbps and therotical upload of 5.76mbps, but True only supports 2mbps at the moment & HSDPA can download at 7.2mbps & upload at 384kbps, before yesterday I have been downloading and uploading, and it always said HSPA, it never reverted to HSDPA, previously when I used my TOT 3G sim it only said HSDPA, because TOT don't support HSPA.

My signal strength is maximum, since June last year my average monthly download has been about 50GB+ per month, and this is the first time I am having a problem.

I have a theroy that this is an end of month issue, may be True have exceeded there quota for bandwidth, and are restricting there downloads until the 1st June.

It does seem strange that they'd ration you now? And why tie it to a calendar month and not your billing cycle? Who knows maybe they just do it for everybody who goes above some threshold, like 50 GB?

These two articles might explain with True has had to turn off HSPA on some/all base-stations.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/04/29/business/CAT-pushes-NTC-to-left-TrueMove-use-its-HSPA-30154223.html

http://financial.tmcnet.com//mergers-acquisitions/news/2011/05/23/5529204.htm

It sounds like True had HSPA on 400 (of their 500+ 3G base-stations) of their base-stations as of June 2010, but on Feb. 23 had to turn off HSPA. However it is not clear they complied with the order on base-stations, if any. Also the NTC was supposed to possibly re-issue the HSPA permit this week.

Dunno, could be shaping?

Most international service providers shape traffic to ensure normal users have a good experience, and "abusers" ( or how ever you want to term it ) don't impact on the large majority. Other than that, maybe cell congestion which will have to wait until the new network/cells rolls out as per the news paper reports.

It is "not" Fair Use, but Fair Scam.

Just another scam taking advantage of everyone with Hype and 7.2 written on the package in LARGE font.

If they were concerned about not being caught in a SCAM they would have pointed this Scam to everyone whom signed up, before they actually signed on the dotted line, and have you initial this all important fact. ***Probably Written In Thai***

I have 3 of those SCAM SIMS now.

Just a note for those whom may have the 7.2 for their iPhone and their iPad also, you are suppose to get a 200baht discount per month on the iPad sim.

i.e. You should be paying only 559 baht for your second sim which is in your iPad.

For those who don't know, your monthly bill is also available in English.

Just another scam taking advantage of everyone with Hype and 7.2 written on the package in LARGE font.

If they were concerned about not being caught in a SCAM they would have pointed this Scam to everyone whom signed up, before they actually signed on the dotted line, and have you initial this all important fact. ***Probably Written In Thai***

Just a note for those whom may have the 7.2 for their iPhone and their iPad also, you are suppose to get a 200baht discount per month on the iPad sim.

i.e. You should be paying only 559 baht for your second sim which is in your iPad.

Your post doesn't really make sense. Perhaps you can rewrite it without the 'emotional' language.

Where is the "scam"?

Your post doesn't really make sense. Perhaps you can rewrite it without the 'emotional' language.

Where is the "scam"?

The scam is that they have you sign up for 7.2mbps and after a couple of days and you have used up your first 3,000 megabytes your speed slows to 256kbps which is 28 times slower than you signed up for. You get this slow slow speed until the end of that month.

Then you have brief use of higher speeds and right back again until you use 3,000 megabytes, and then to 256kbps until the end of that month. If you use 3,000 megabytes in a few days, then your unlimited highspeed 3G is a snail. Mine has been slow for a month now. When you call True they say they know about this and that system maintenance is being performed and the speeds will return at the end of the month. The tech asked me where in BKK I was experiencing this problem because he wanted to say that area was having maintenance done.

When I told him everywhere in BKK he had no answer, except system maintenance, and he knew nothing about Fair Use.

""CLICK HERE"" for their crap policy. True

Edited by AlanL1275

Where is the "scam"?

The scam is that they have you sign up for 7.2mbps and after a couple of days and you have used up your first 3,000 megabytes your speed slows to 256kbps which is 28 times slower than you signed up for. You get this slow slow speed until the end of that month.

Then you have brief use of higher speeds and right back again until you use 3,000 megabytes, and then to 256kbps until the end of that month. If you use 3,000 megabytes in a few days, then your unlimited highspeed 3G is a snail. Mine has been slow for a month now. When you call True they say they know about this and that system maintenance is being performed and the speeds will return at the end of the month. The tech asked me where in BKK I was experiencing this problem because he wanted to say that area was having maintenance done.

When I told him everywhere in BKK he had no answer, except system maintenance, and he knew nothing about Fair Use.

""CLICK HERE"" for their crap policy. True

So where is the 'scam'? The Fair Use Policy is stated and readable on the same page as the offers. There is not even a need to delve in to the T&Cs.

Do you feel that these terms are not prominent enough for the consumer to read?

Do you have Unlimited 3G in your country? At what cost?

Perhaps you are being unreasonable? If you are such a high user of data, perhaps you should invest in a time based 3G SIM for your downloading needs.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I used to think that going to their office was the best idea. But even their agents have to call "call center" to get anything done. If you can get one of their English speaking agents on the phone might be the best. We had a little issue with internet billing & it didn't go so smooth.

I have a theroy that this is an end of month issue, may be True have exceeded there quota for bandwidth, and are restricting there downloads until the 1st June.

Did your theory prove to be correct? (Maybe you have to wait until your next billing cycle, ~ 6 June?)

Edited by lomatopo

<br />
<br />I have a theroy that this is an end of month issue, may be True have exceeded there quota for bandwidth, and are restricting there downloads until the 1st June.<br />
<br /><br />Did your theory prove to be correct? (Maybe you have to wait until your next billing cycle, ~ 6 June?)<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I am still on slow speed!

After many phone calls to customer service and a visit to there head office on Ratachada, and then a visit to True shop at Fortune, I am finally getting somewhere.

A very nice lady at True shop, first checked my current package and confirmed as per my terms & conditions my 3G is unlimited in volume & speed, confirming what I already knew, then she called the technical department and asked why I was getting slow speed they checked on a different system not available to True shop staff and it now shows that I am subject to the fair usage policy, but they couldn't confirm when this took effect just that it was in effect now.

I am only 10 months into my contract.

I then explained that if my terms & conditions say its unlimited then why am I being subjected to the fair use policy, so now I have to wait until Monday after she has contacted the head of the technical department to try and get this sorted.

I know someone at True has got it in for me because I am downloading heaps & heaps of data, more data than 30 new customers per month, but my terms & conditions say I don't have a limit on speed or volume.