High-Speed 3G Mobile Data In Pattaya

cblunt

I'm planning to spend a couple of weeks in Pattaya next month and need a SIM card to use in my Nokia N97. This will mainly be used tethered to my laptop for internet access so I'm not too bothered about voice calls or SMS. On previous visits I've always used either a DTAC/Happy or AIS/One-2-Call pre-paid SIM, but I've found the quality of the data connections are variable and often one network gives better performance than the other.

Could anyone tell me which network is likely to be best to use for this? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest, I just want something that works reliably and offers the best data connection. Apart from DTAC or AIS are there any other options there now?

I have an iPhone as well, and I'm also wondering if any of the networks sell micro-SIM cards for use in that.

Chris

Edited by cblunt

Truemove will be your only possible option for 3G in Pattaya. Not sure on exact areas of coverage. http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/wifi_area_pattaya.html

Truemove operates on 850 Mhz, so in theory your iPhone (3G, 3GS, 4) should support that; the N97 may if it is the USA version 850/1900/2100, but not if it is the WW version, 90/1900/2100.

You can get a True NetSIM, then layer a data package on top of it. They have uSIMs http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/prepay-microsim.html

Edited by lomatopo

Truemove will be your only possible option for 3G in Pattaya. Not sure on exact areas of coverage. http://www.truemove....ea_pattaya.html

Truemove operates on 850 Mhz, so in theory your iPhone (3G, 3GS, 4) should support that; the N97 may if it is the USA version 850/1900/2100, but not if it is the WW version, 90/1900/2100.

You can get a True NetSIM, then layer a data package on top of it. They have uSIMs http://www.truemove....y-microsim.html

http://www.thaivisa....-service-plans/

Thanks for the information. I don't think I could use my Nokia N97 because its the international version sold in Asia, not the US version.

That's not a problem if I can use my iPhone 4 instead. I hope TrueMove would allow me to connect my laptop via the iPhone using the "Personal Hotspot" tethering function of the iPhone. If I understand the web site correctly, I could buy a TrueMove "hi-speed micro SIM" and then get a pre-pay package for 900 Baht which would give me an additional 5GB of data volume.

I will be staying in the central/south area of Pattaya, so I hope I'm lucky and that will be covered by 3G.

One more question if you don't mind. Is it possible to by a TrueMove SIM in Suvarnabhumi Airport when I arrive, or is it easy to find when I get to Pattaya?

Chris

I am pretty sure there is still a True Shop at Suvarnabhumi, level 2 (Arrivals) outside of Customs, maybe near door #5, approx mid-terminal. Generally you CANNOT buy pre-paid SIMs at True shops, they direct this market to 3rd parties: mobile shops, mobile counters, 7/11 etc. of which there are like 1 million in Pattaya. However I suspect that since most of the market at BKK is pre-paid, that you could buy a SIM there. I'm not sure I'd burn 900+ baht not knowing if I could get 3G, but up to you. I guess you could get the SIM then try it Pattaya, and if you have 3G buy up to your desired plan.

Tethering should work fine, as would an aircard or MiFi device. I have tested tethering on True pre-paid 3G with an Android phone and it works fine.

I am pretty sure there is still a True Shop at Suvarnabhumi, level 2 (Arrivals) outside of Customs, maybe near door #5, approx mid-terminal. Generally you CANNOT buy pre-paid SIMs at True shops, they direct this market to 3rd parties: mobile shops, mobile counters, 7/11 etc. of which there are like 1 million in Pattaya. However I suspect that since most of the market at BKK is pre-paid, that you could buy a SIM there. I'm not sure I'd burn 900+ baht not knowing if I could get 3G, but up to you. I guess you could get the SIM then try it Pattaya, and if you have 3G buy up to your desired plan.

Tethering should work fine, as would an aircard or MiFi device. I have tested tethering on True pre-paid 3G with an Android phone and it works fine.

You can definitely buy PrePay SIMs from the TRUE outlet at the airport. The Inter SIM is available for 49 baht. The question is whether one can buy a PrePaid Micro SIM.

I had acceptable internet using True in north Pattaya last month.

Was located ground floor between beach road and 1st road, about 250m from the Tiffany Theatre / Shooting Range.

My dongle supported all 5 GSM bands (True use 850Mhz as mentioned previously).

PS one of the staff at the True store in the Tesco Lotus complex speaks some english, but dont sell NetSim - best to pick up one in BKK

Edited by ozzydave

Thanks to everyone for their input.

It will be after midnight by the time I get through customs at Suvarnabhumi and I'll then be heading straight to Pattaya. If the True shop is closed at that time I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that I can find a micro-SIM version of the Net-SIM somewhere in Pattaya.

Chris

Thanks to everyone for their input.

It will be after midnight by the time I get through customs at Suvarnabhumi and I'll then be heading straight to Pattaya. If the True shop is closed at that time I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that I can find a micro-SIM version of the Net-SIM somewhere in Pattaya.

Chris

Don't panic. Worse case scenario: Pick up a 49 baht True Inter SIM from any 7/11 or Family Mart. You can get it cut down to size in most mobile telephone outlets for the iPhone. 50 baht should do it.

You can then add a 3 GB data/Unlimited WiFi(Up to 8 Mbps) package by adding 750 baht in credit and sending a text message containing V3 to number 9789. By return you will receive confirmation of your subscription as well as the username and password to enter the TRUE WiFi portal via your Browser. So you can use WiFi wherever available, thereby saving your 3G data allowance.

This package may be better for you than the PrePay Micro SIM plus the 5Gb data package with no WiFi included. That will likely cost you over 1050 baht in total, compared to 850 baht for my solution.

Before you leave, send a text message containing CV3 to number 9789. That effectively cancels the package on that SIM card.

The True Shop at Suvarnabhumi is open 7/24, on level 2 (Arrivals), adjacent to door #4 (doors numbered 10 - 1, left to right if inside the main terminal building. Hook a right when you exit Customs (either exit B or C). They have micro-SIMs, 49 baht, then you can purchase top-ups, then subscribe to any of the data plans in my original link.

Here it is again: http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/prepay-microsim.html

The True Shop at Suvarnabhumi is open 7/24, on level 2 (Arrivals), adjacent to door #4 (doors numbered 10 - 1, left to right if inside the main terminal building. Hook a right when you exit Customs (either exit B or C). They have micro-SIMs, 49 baht, then you can purchase top-ups, then subscribe to any of the data plans in my original link.

Here it is again: http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/prepay-microsim.html

Thanks for confirming the price. Useful if they have the Micro SIMs there. The OP can subscribe to the package above in exactly the same way.

That's not a problem if I can use my iPhone 4 instead. I hope TrueMove would allow me to connect my laptop via the iPhone using the "Personal Hotspot" tethering function of the iPhone.

I have frequently tethered my iPhone4 with a 3G True SIM to my notebook computer (usually in Pattaya/Jomtien, but also in Bangkok and Hua Hin) using the iPhone's "Personal Hotspot." It works well, usually with 3-5Mbps throughput on speed tests.

However, occasionally, something on the iPhone "twitches" and the Personal Hotspot will not only disengage, but also disappear from the top General menu. If/when that happens, go to the General > Settings > Network, and "Personal Hotspot" is still there and can be switched on again. Or, reboot the phone and Personal Hotspot will again be on the top General menu. I Googled it, and it seems it's just "one of those things," or a gremlin...