Deploying A New Passport

I'm going to apply in Laos for a TV. I've just renewed my passport and was wondering what the rules were.

Do I leave Thailand on my old passport (2 months left on it) and then get a visa into Laos on my new passport? Then apply at the Thai consulate with just my new Passport? Or do I apply at the Consulate with both passports? I really wouldn't want to confuse them. :)

'And for inquiring minds, there's nothing nefarious in this. I'm coming off a retirement visa.

Regards.

I think that once you get a new passport, the old one is invalid. You need to transfer the retirement visa from the old passport into the new one. Then get the extension and permit to re-enter.

Otherwise, you're back to square one applying for a new visa, and retirement visas need to be applied for in your home country.

Travel out with both passports - your old one will be cancelled therefore they stamp you out in your new one but make reference to the inward stamp. Get your TV in Laos and return on your new passport.

How do I know ? - just done it jap.gif

Travel out with both passports - your old one will be cancelled therefore they stamp you out in your new one but make reference to the inward stamp. Get your TV in Laos and return on your new passport.

'And did you have to get your old visa transfered Terak? Or does that happen on the travelling out part?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

Best is to visit immirgation first to have the details transfered to the new passport. It is free and doesn't take that long.

When leaving Thailand, Laos will look fo the Thai exit stamp. That is why you can't switch passports at the borders, but must have the details transfered to the new passport. often they will also do this at the border.

Best is to visit immirgation first to have the details transfered to the new passport. It is free and doesn't take that long.

When leaving Thailand, Laos will look fo the Thai exit stamp. That is why you can't switch passports at the borders, but must have the details transfered to the new passport. often they will also do this at the border.

Sorry but rubbish - you can legally travel on old expired/cancelled passport and new passport - not need to waste time at immigration - they will not transfer a TR or VOA anyway.

'And did you have to get your old visa transfered Terak? Or does that happen on the travelling out part?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

did not need to - take 2 passports - old & new - easy jap.gif

Sorry but rubbish - you can legally travel on old expired/cancelled passport and new passport - not need to waste time at immigration - they will not transfer a TR or VOA anyway.

I just applied for a new Australian Passport at the Embassy in Bangkok.It will be available in 2 weeks and posted to me in Chiang mai.

The one its replacing had its lower part of the inside photo page cut off by the staff and stamped cancelled, can't be used obviously.but wasn't planning to go anywhere in the next 2 weeks !

He doesn't have a visa and that is not the issue anyway. The issue is that if you cross a land border with a neighbouring country, immigration checks for an exit stamp of the other country. That is why you cannot just switch passports at the border, but must have his permission stamps moved to a new passport.

He doesn't have a visa and that is not the issue anyway. The issue is that if you cross a land border with a neighbouring country, immigration checks for an exit stamp of the other country. That is why you cannot just switch passports at the border, but must have his permission stamps moved to a new passport.

You do not need you permissions moved. You can travel with 2 passports, old but cancelled & new and current. On exiting Thailand they stamp the you out on new passport but make reference to your entry stamp in the old passport. I did this a while ago - I got a new passport early January, my TV was in old passport but I did my visa run with both passports, did not transfer anything. It is also quite common for immigration not to transfer a permission across to new passport if there is small validity on extension - them just say carry 2 passports jap.gif

That is exactly what we have been saying - your permission to stay and original visa number are placed in your new passport. An unused visa is fine in the old passport and can be used but stamps will be in the new passport. A border crossing can do the transfer (at least for visa and visa exempt entry) but may send you to a full immigration office or require a delay.

...make reference to your entry stamp in the old passport...

I wonder what this reference to your entry stamp looks like. Could you scan and post it? The latest one I have in my gallery is from 2008 and it would be good to have a more recent one.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/gallery/image/9162-transfer-stamps-old-to-new-passport-tak-20080804jpg/

Top: reference to visa in old passport

Bottom left: copy of arrival stamp, ie permission to stay, in the old passport

The last time i renewed my passport,they sent the old one back,with the new one,but the old one was not cut or cancelled in any way,strange i thought,so i ended up with a old one still usable,and a new one!!!!

Did you try to use it? It should have been canceled in international data base regardless of not being cut and have resulted in serious issues if you could not explain. The UK passport is canceled upon receipt of application for new passport under there current system I believe.

I just applied for a new Australian Passport at the Embassy in Bangkok.It will be available in 2 weeks and posted to me in Chiang mai.

The one its replacing had its lower part of the inside photo page cut off by the staff and stamped cancelled, can't be used obviously.but wasn't planning to go anywhere in the next 2 weeks !

Sounds a bit rude behaviour by the embassy staff. I doubt that banks - or anyone else requiring valid ID - would accept such a clearly cancelled passport as valid ID.