Aranyaprathet & Additional 15 Days

Hi all,

I came to Thailand by plane about three weeks ago and got the standard 30 days permission to stay. I still need to stay 2 weeks. Next saturday I will visit Aranyaprathet, and I was thinking to cross the Cambodian border there by walking (or by car) - just to get another 15 days. I would just like to confirm that this will work, and ask few questions from who have been at the border at Aranyaprathet.

1) How long does this border crossing (going and coming back) take approximately (my friend can take me to the border)?

2) Do I have to pay something? (20 dollar to enter Cambodia?)

3) Are there some scammers I should be aware of? (I suppose I don't have to talk to anyone else than the officials?)

Any comments and experiences are most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so here is a short story about what happened. Maybe someone will find it useful.

First at the Aranyaprathet border market I changed 20 dollars at the Kasikorn bank (near the entry to Cambodia). The area near the entry to Cambodia is full of "friendly" guys who want to help you to get visa or whatever. Some of them try to lie that it is not possible to get a visa on arrival, but you need to get it at Bangkok - but that they can help you to get it with 1200 baht at their office. Just don't listen to them.

I entered the Thai passport control building. The passport control was pretty fast since there wasn't really queue for the foreigner at that time. When I got out from the building, there were of course some (quite officially looking) Cambodian guys to sell you some kind of visa service. Again the price wasn't what it should be. Just ignore them and walk to the building on the right. There you can get the visa on arrival with 20 dollars (well, I had to pay additional 100 baht due to some reason - maybe it is the inflation?). You can also buy the visa with 1000 baht. Also you will need one passport photo with you - but I guess it is not a problem if you don't have it, since you can most probably just pay extra 100 baht or whatever.

After I got out from the building, there were some guys in the uniforms sitting at a table and asked for my passport. I thought that maybe this is the passport control and gave the passport to them. Anyhow, the guy took some paper from his desk and was starting to write onto it, and I noticed that the paper is the "entry card" (or whatever you need to fill when you enter Cambodia). I just politely asked my passport back and said that I can fill this paper by myself. He said that it would cost 200 baht, if he filled it. No thanks...

I walked further to the "passport control building". I filled the entry card which they gave me (remember to take a pen with you) and gave it and my passport to the passport control guy. He stamped my passport etc. and I was free to enter Cambodia. :rolleyes:

I took few steps inside Cambodia and turned back. The return was much easier and the "scammers" weren't interested about me anymore. I bought I bottle of whiskey from the small kiosk at the border area. The prices were extremely cheap, and I don't know if the whickey was a real deal. Well, at least I didn't died or got blind after drinking it, and even the hangover seemed to be normal next morning.

This all (without the whiskey drinking part) took time maybe about one hour. The most time I had to wait at the Thai passport control when entering back to Thailand.

Hi, I did the same thing yesterday, but I got 30 days instead of 15. The stamp says "Stay until: July 6", which is exactly 30 days. How many days did you get?

Does anyone know if the regulation's changed regarding overland entries? I read everywhere that an overland entry allows you to stay 15 days in Thailand... so why does mine say 30? (Canadian passport)

Is it risky for me to stay 30 days now? They also scan the passport, so I'm worried about what will happen if it was just a mistake from the officer and the electronic data doesn't match the stamp... would they charge me 15 days overstay?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

They gave you the wrong stamp and if you stay longer than 15 days and they spot the mistake, they could fine you for overstay.

15 days is still the norm for people crossing a land border if you fall under the visa exempt regime, but there are some exceptions. Some nationalities get 30 days also at land borders.

Ouch. Thank you for your answer...

So I'd better exit the country within 15 days rather than take my chances, I guess. Even though it's not my mistake and I could always say that I didn't know...

And how likely is it that they'll notice it?

It would suit me better to do another visa run in 20 days rather than 15, but if you say the "didn't know" card has a history of not working and if they're likely to notice that I should've received 15 days instead of 30, then I'll arrange my plans to leave sooner.

Thank you for the rapid responses though, it's very helpful :)

• 8 months later...

I need to do this whole procedure again.

Does someone know that is the price of the visa the Cambodia still 20 dollar (at Aranyaprathet) or did they raise the price? Changing 20 dollar before entering Cambodia seems to be a little better option than paying for example 1000 baht at the border to get the visa. Well, at least I can save few bahts...