New In Bangkok

sidjameson

I just arrived here to live, but as I have no work, no girlfriend and it seems no life, lol I maybe suffering a bit of too much of my own splendid company.

If there is anyone on this website who would like to meet up for a coffee or a beer then all offers would be gratefully received, but people with an interest in any one of the following are especially welcome to cast me a social life jacket.

Sarcasm

Kindness

English football, even the stuff not played by millionaires

Did the Uk welfare state make me the lazy bugger I am today?

Morrissey

Playing chess

Girls

Playing chess while looking at girls

Anything published by Dawkins, Pinker or Heffner :)

Talking about ideas rather than about people, unless she is attractive

I live in ploenchit, next to Chidlom but I am happy to meet anywhere on sky train route.

My schedule is enbarrassingly open.

Not being rude, but what actually made to come to Thailand to live?

You might get a better response it you told us a little about yourself, though you will get a few sarcastic comments.

Good luck and welcome to the LOS :rolleyes:

A great free apartment persuaded me to come here. :)

I want to find a new home and Thailand seems to offer a reasonable chance at that.. Its still cheap if you live within your means.

Thai girls are stunning, at least in this area...though not sure of my chances of getting one.

After 16 years away English winters scare me. :)

I am a regular guy, been teaching in Japan for long time but left just before tsunami, which is lucky cuz I cant swim.

I am 43, easy going and find I now only need a good book, a laptop, a place to go jogging, a friend to chat to and a girlfriend to be happy. Its only the last 2 that escape me at the mo.

I am 43, easy going and find I now only need a good book, a laptop, a place to go jogging, a friend to chat to and a girlfriend to be happy. Its only the last 2 that escape me at the mo.

I'm assuming you have your visa sorted and will be doing border runs, as you will be aware being 43 you don't qualify for leave to stay based on retirement and as you aren't married you cannot go down that route either.

Just a friendly word of advice, and please don't take it the wrong way, there are many beautiful single women in Thailand, most of whom are honest, please be careful when choosing a soul mate, as there are a number of rouges out there who will not only break your heart but your bank balance as well, many of us have the scars to prove it.

look for me the best way was to join a club or two where you'll find some relatively sane normal expats and interesting and well educated Thai's. A couple of ideas.

- Southerners Sports Club is one of them, where lots of social sports are played with very little skill required (ie cricket, touch rugby, rugby, netball). All good fun and a sure fired way of meeting people.

- A couple of the pubs have football teams which you can latch on to.

You may do well by joining up at the TCDC, the Thailand cultural and Design centre, which is located at the top floor of Emporium, next to the cinemas there. It has a well stocked, excellent design library, classy work spaces and I believe they run shows and exhibitions which will let you meet and greet a diverse bunch of people. It is also an excellent place to hang out.

Point to enjoying Thailand and not going nuts is to keep yourself busy with a "normal" routine.

Would also sugest if you are planning on longer stay to enrole in a Thai language course and make a decent attempt at learning more than bar speak. Nothing but positives to be gained from this, and don't worry if it all seems too hard at the outset, your skills will progress with practice.

I'm happy to meet up for a coffee next week- this week's a bit hectic. I'm 36, have lived here four years, think I'm a relatively normal and easy-going person. Only Dawkins I've read is the God Delusion but never got to the end of it. I do own a copy of Viva Hate though.

Well first off, welcome to the land of smiles, aka LOS, and welcome to the City of Angels.

Speaking of the latter, remember (as one other poster mentioned), even angels have their wicked schemes - as with the Girls of the Playboy Mansion, some things just really are too good to be true..... but don't let the nay sayers get you down either.

I'm afraid I am literally too busy to meet up with you, between my work life balance I think my mrs. would do her nut if I said I was going out to meet a total stranger - but I would reiterate some peoples advice. Get out there and join some clubs or attend some networking events. Google the Chambers of Commerce (e.g. the british thai chamber, and substitute the word 'british' for any nation you can think of). They all carefully coordiante amongst themselves so as not to have events on the same nights, and all are a good crowd and a good value evening. You dont need to be a memeber to attend, just turn up dressed smart and pay at the door (anything from 200 - 800 THB, for finger food and free flow beer / wine).

You might try looking for work - something - anything ..... just to pass time and make beer money. Great way to meet people, and much easier to meet a thai girl friend that way too. A persepctive mate will be weary of a man with money and no job, and its a great talking point. For people that do not "need" to work, I would imagine there are lots of low paid, easy going, subsistence jobs.

Definitely get learning the Thai - sooner the better. For anything from taxi directions, to ordering food, and meeting a girl.

Do not despair - friendships are easily forged here in Thailand. Myself personally, I would starting haunting the expat bars such as the Bulls Head, Londoner, etc. ..... again, google it. But go on week nights, perhaps earlier in the evening - there's always someone dropping into these places for a pint after work..... strike up a conversation.

I wish you the best of luck.

I am confused --- on May 17th the OP was married to a Thai!?!?

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4430485

Well picked up. Could have been a typo, as in I m not married, but then thinking about it, seems a little strange that you would ever qualify that anyway...very strange. God thats going to put off any prospective drinking mates...Reminds of a story for another forum related to Thailand where someone was always on the forum, they had a few thousand posts, but got caught out one night saying they were in a club in Bangkok and had just got back to his condo and the club had shut at 2am (despite other posters being there after that time), but in actual fact it turned out they were in America and not even living in Thailand, despite the charade that he was. Why would anyone even do that?

Edited by RedFxTrade

More confusion:

on Jan 5

I am still legally married to a well educated, lovely Thai woman, but we are now 100% friends only. She doesnt mind staying married to help with my visa.

I trust her 1000%

It just gets better and better...

:shock1::w00t::coffee1:

I thought I 'd up date some of your musical likes... :whistling:

I just arrived here to live, but as I have no work, no girlfriend and it seems no life, lol I maybe suffering a bit of too much of my own splendid company.

If there is anyone on this website who would like to meet up for a coffee or a beer then all offers would be gratefully received, but people with an interest in any one of the following are especially welcome to cast me a social life jacket.

Sarcasm

Kindness

English football, even the stuff not played by millionaires

Did the Uk welfare state make me the lazy bugger I am today?

Morrissey, other music I like is Lies, lies, lies by Toni Braxton, Sweet Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac and Lies by Evanescense

Playing chess

Girls

Playing chess while looking at girls

Anything published by Dawkins, Pinker or Heffner

Talking about ideas rather than about people, unless she is attractive

I live in ploenchit, next to Chidlom but I am happy to meet anywhere on sky train route.

My schedule is enbarrassingly open.

look for me the best way was to join a club or two where you'll find some relatively sane normal expats and interesting and well educated Thai's. A couple of ideas.

- Southerners Sports Club is one of them, where lots of social sports are played with very little skill required (ie cricket, touch rugby, rugby, netball). All good fun and a sure fired way of meeting people.

You may do well by joining up at the TCDC, the Thailand cultural and Design centre, which is located at the top floor of Emporium, next to the cinemas there. It has a well stocked, excellent design library, classy work spaces and I believe they run shows and exhibitions which will let you meet and greet a diverse bunch of people. It is also an excellent place to hang out.

Agree on that - met a lot of my mates through Southerners (Cricket), and also playing football as well.

Nope, I'm not getting the confusion. It's pretty straightforward. He's said he's single and with no current girlfriend, and the quoted posts back that up. Legally married but no longer in a relationship with the woman. What's all the excitement about..?

Yeah, my God, are there people with really so little to do that they feel the need to inspect every word of a posters history? I can imagine the smile on their face as they think "wow, got him" use your time to help some street kids guys if you have that much.

Rumblecat got it right. And situations change too.

Agree on that - met a lot of my mates through Southerners (Cricket), and also playing football as well.

....I met my wife there. So did a few others!

God, ohh I mean Arsene forbid I should marry any guy I meet through the footie forum :whistling:

No offense to any of them ofcourse (insert angelic smile here)

Yeah, my God, are there people with really so little to do that they feel the need to inspect every word of a posters history? I can imagine the smile on their face as they think "wow, got him" use your time to help some street kids guys if you have that much.

Rumblecat got it right. And situations change too.

it was a post from about a week ago ... I remembered because I was the first person that replied to it. I assume situations do change --- but from "married to a Thai" to I just moved here and have no GF ... in a week or so? WOW!

and the topic's name ....

On 1 Month Tourist Visa i am married, want to stay a month longer...best way?

edit to remove bb code from the topic name

Edited by jdinasia